Stoll off the Island

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The wheeling and dealing for the Carolina Hurricanes this off-season continues, with the latest move designed to bolster a forward ranks hit by free agency and previous trades.

The Hurricanes have dealt San Jose's first round draft selection in the 2008 HFNHL Entry Draft to the New York Islanders in exchange for forward Jarret Stoll.

Carolina also received Tampa Bay's fourth round draft selection in the 2008 HFNHL Entry Draft.

Stoll is expected to fill the void of Craig Conroy should the veteran centre elect to not resign with the club.

"Jarret has a solid all around game and is recognized as a leader in the dressing room and on the ice. If we are unable to sign Craig, and to be honest we don't know where that sits right now but we are going forward on the belief he's not coming back, then Jarret will likely slide into his role," explained Carolina Hurricanes General Manager Trent Allen at a press conference to introduce the latest member of the Hurricanes.

Allen still held out hope Conroy would return however.

"We feel we've made a fair offer to Craig and he knows that if he wants to return he will be a key piece of our team. The good thing about a player like Jarret is you can play him anywhere in the line up and he'll contribute. If Craig decides to return to Carolina, he'll be back as our first line center to start the season. That's something Jarret is well aware of," Allen explained.

Stoll meanwhile is glad to be coming to the Hurricanes, who are looking to retool their line up following a 105 point season which ended in a disappointing six game loss in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual Cup champions, the Ottawa Senators.

"I enjoyed my time on Long Island, but it was tough last season. I was looking forward to coming back next season to show everyone how talented of a team we are and be part of the team which leads the Islanders back into the playoffs, but coming to Carolina is a great opportunity as well for me, and I know from speaking with Mr. Allen that the goal here is to not just make the playoffs but have a big playoff push and as a player that's all you can ask for," said Stoll.

Stoll is prepared to play behind Conroy if the Hurricanes can resign him.

"Wherever. I don't care, as long as I can play and can contribute," Stoll said when asked where he thinks he'll slide into the Carolina line up.

Stoll will help fill some of the void of already departed forwards Keith Tkachuk and Lee Stempinak, who were dealt to the San Jose Sharks earlier this off-season, the same deal in which the Hurricanes acquired the San Jose first round draft selection they traded to get Stoll.

In 82 games split between the New York Islanders and the Buffalo Sabres, the 6'1, 200 lbs. forward had 17 goals and 53 points, and was a -29. The 24-year-old has three more years left on his current contract at $2.2 million per season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad