Stockton Heat moving to Calgary... for 2021

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
I heard the team will be playing in Calgary for the 2020-21 season.
Utica & Bakersfield next?

Attachments

• 20210125_193034.jpg
    20210125_193034.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: Tao Jones

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
AHL’s Stockton Heat To Play 2020-21 Season In Calgary

January 25th, 2021 at 5:59pm CST • By Zach Leach
In a surprising move, especially given the AHL’s return to action in less than two weeks, the Stockton Heat will not be playing in Stockton in 2021. Scott Linesburgh of The Stockton Record writes this evening that city and county officials have confirmed that the club does not intend to play out of their home city this season. Instead, the Calgary Flames’ affiliate is expected to share a home with their parent club. Linesburgh reports that this is likely just a one-year change related to the Coronavirus pandemic and cross-border logistics, though he does note that this was the final year on the Heat’s current lease at Stockton Arena.
This move will have quite the ripple effect on the AHL just ten days away from the planned start to the season. Stockton’s move north of the border, and the impossibility at this time of playing American opponents as a result, means that the AHL will have to realign on the fly once again. The Heat will be placed in the Canadian Division alongside the Belleville Senators, Laval Rocket, Manitoba Moose, and Toronto Marlies. This will mean that the Pacific Division will drop to six teams this season and the schedule, which was already released on Friday, will need to be amended. The Heat leave behind a 40-game schedule against the numerous AHL clubs in the American Southwest for an unknown slate in the Canadian Division, which has yet to release a schedule and features only one team within 1,600 miles of Calgary.
Of course, for the Flames’ purposes this means a much simpler strategy for moving players to and from the minors this season. Players who cross the border into Canada this season require a mandatory 14-day quarantine period. While the taxi squad has been implemented to offer a small group of stand-ins, any other additions for Calgary from Stockton would have left those players out of commission for two weeks. Now the team will require no wait time at all with their AHL squad expected to be sharing a facility.
The Heat’s move leaves the Edmonton Oilers as the only Canadian NHL team whose AHL affiliate remains in the U.S. or who hasn’t otherwise negotiated an agreement to send players to another AHL team in Canada, such as the Vancouver Canucks’ and Manitoba Moose’ relationship. If the Oilers plan to make such a move, they have limited time before the AHL season begins.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Was already there when you posted your reply. But I added a second article for you personnally.

I'm on Eastern time, and I see this:
Your post at 7:34pm
JMCx4 replies at 7:41pm
You then edited your post, as I type this, "24 minutes ago", which is viewable on the right corner of your post.

So unless I've missed something, it appears you added it well after JMCx4 posted.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
I'm on Eastern time, and I see this:
Your post at 7:34pm
JMCx4 replies at 7:41pm
You then edited your post, as I type this, "24 minutes ago", which is viewable on the right corner of your post.

So unless I've missed something, it appears you added it well after JMCx4 posted.

And your point is?
I added " Utica & Bakersfield next"
After seing they are moving in the canadian division in the other article that I posted.
Nice try Sherlock 210 or whatever your real name is!

#hatersgonnahate

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
And your point is?
I added " Utica & Bakersfield next"
After seing they are moving in the canadian division in the other article that I posted.
Nice try Sherlock 210 or whatever your real name is!

#hatersgonnahate
I'm not hating on anything, just pointing out something that doesn't make any sense. Just like adding "Utica & Bakersfield next" to a post for no apparent reason.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Utica is likely a no along with Bakersfield. Of course the nature of the Pandemic I suppose could always dictate a move happening, I would say it's doubtful they relocate for this season since both have opened training camps.

In Utica's case too the St. Louis Blues are also using them for an AHL affiliate this year with Springfield sitting out.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I am more surprised they were going to play an AHL season in the US and not in Canada. I guess Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton feel they have all the players they needed in the Taxi squad.

There was an agreement in principle to play one more season in Stockton but is the ink dry on that? Calgary hadn't found a new sucker host city yet and Stockton doesn't know what to do to replace them. There is still ECHL in California and we'd be sandwiched between Fresno and San Fran.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I am more surprised they were going to play an AHL season in the US and not in Canada. I guess Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton feel they have all the players they needed in the Taxi squad.

There was an agreement in principle to play one more season in Stockton but is the ink dry on that? Calgary hadn't found a new sucker host city yet and Stockton doesn't know what to do to replace them. There is still ECHL in California and we'd be sandwiched between Fresno and San Fran.
the question is Calgary owns the franchise....

it has nothing to do with Vancouver or Edmonton

the ink was dry as of this time a year ago.... Calgary has not stated anything past 2021... I don't believe anyone could've predicted the abrupt end to 2019/2020, and the way 2021 has gone, no matter what league it is.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Well there’s currently no California ECHL teams as the AHL western expansion took the remaining teams.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

This hasn't been true for over five years.

Timjohnson

Jun 6, 2019
My guess is that Calgary returns to Stockton for at least a few more years to give them time to find a new city and make it work. Now that Petrovek is gone maybe they can make it work in that city. Bring in some competent management and see what they can do.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
New President for Stockton Heat:

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, June 16, 2021

STOCKTON, Calif. – The Stockton Heat, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Calgary Flames, announce today that Jamie Cochrane has been named President. Cochrane, who has overseen the Heat’s business operations since February of 2020, has spent nearly seven years with Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation working closely with the Stockton Heat, the Calgary Flames and the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League.

“I’m excited to begin this new role in Stockton,” said Cochrane, who along with his wife and daughter, will move to Stockton from their home in Calgary. “In my time working with the Heat I’ve developed a great appreciation for the team’s passionate fan base, the City of Stockton’s vibrant community, and the opportunity for accelerated growth. I look forward to deepening the connection between the team and Stockton and the surrounding communities, starting with a return to play in front of our fans back on home ice at the Stockton Arena later this year.”

In addition to his work with Calgary Sports and Entertainment, Cochrane has contributed efforts to raise awareness for causes such as the Schizophrenia Society of Alberta, ALS, and ‘Movember’ men’s mental health initiatives. Cochrane also volunteers his time as a Big Brother as part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters Foundation.

“It’s important for the Heat to be a leader in supporting community causes, returning the investment the City and fans have made in us” said Cochrane. “Throughout the first five seasons of Heat hockey in Stockton, the City and its residents have embraced us with open arms. We are thankful for the support we have received since the start and are committed to continuing where we left off in the shortened 2019-20 season.”

The Heat’s return to Stockton Arena for the 2021-22 season comes with a new one-year lease between the club and the City of Stockton. Heat365 Membership renewals are ongoing, with more information available at StocktonHeat.com/Heat365.

###
For information contact:
Brandon Weiss
Director, Communications
(209) 373-1524

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->