Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So not a single prospect in the WJC?

I know it's not everything but good job Brad and Button

Wolf is with the team.

Petterson would be a no brainer if Norway were in.

Zavgorodniy and Pellettier would be in if they were not hurt.

It's absolutely bonkers that with essentially no top two round talent on our farm (absolutely pillaged), we still technically had some decent options for representation from our club for the WJC.

What Button and Treliving have been doing for the late round stuff... amazing.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
WJC participants is a really flawed way to evaluate prospect pool. I'm too lazy to look at real numbers, but how many drafted age groups are eligible to play in WJC? two I guess. On average that means every team should have 4 top-2 round picks in WJC.

Of course it's harder to get to Canada or US team than Finland or Sweden. So 6 guys playing for those countries is not necessarily better than 1 or 2 guys playing for Canada or US.

This is not a comment in one way or another toward Flames prospect pool, just that WJC participant number is a stupid metric to evaluate anything

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Mangiapane, not a top 2 round draft pick. Didn't play at WJC. Never was a good prospect I guess

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I really hope we had Puljujärvi. Top pick, played in WJC in a big role with gold medal winning Team Finland. I was so excited about his play and performance here on HfFlames as well

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I really hope we had Puljujärvi. Top pick, played in WJC in a big role with gold medal winning Team Finland. I was so excited about his play and performance here on HfFlames as well

Everyone was so impressed by Pulju and Laine that no one realized it was Aho driving the line

Honestly that’s the best line I think I’ve ever seen in that tournament

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure of all the sensitive butt hurt. I turned on WJC and couldnt find any Flames prospects. That's just being real.

Yeah WJC is not everything but it does have the best junior prospects. To say otherwise is just lying to yourself. Being in the WJC is not a guaranty for NHL success but most NHL top players came from that tournament at one point.

The current team better be good as there is really not much help after that until we rebuild. That's reality.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Not sure of all the sensitive butt hurt. I turned on WJC and couldnt find any Flames prospects. That's just being real.

Yeah WJC is not everything but it does have the best junior prospects. To say otherwise is just lying to yourself.

The current team better be good as there is really not much help after that until we rebuild. That's reality.

WJC participants might be or might not be a good way to evaluate a teams prospect pool. I dont have the stats so I'm going with "no players in WJC means nothing" and you should look overall quality and not just some simple quantity metric.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I just want to put it on record here that Quine had 6 points last night, and needs to be freed from the AHL because he is our #1RW

3knh04.jpg

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
WJC evaluation is like +/- IMO. It says something, but it's a highly flawed stat that really requires context to be reliable.

Kinda like... WJC superstar Curtis Lazar.

But late rounders being invited to WJC is always a positive.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It is for Phillips.

FML
Valimaki, Phillips, trade for the 2nd worst contract in the NHL (Seabrook IMO), Gaudreau doesn't look like he's trying half the time and is having the worst season of his career, Gio appears to have regressed and in spite of this is selected to be an all star anyways (Less rest), Brodie collapsed in practice, Hanifin-Hamonic aren't split even with their awful play, The Bill Peters scandal, loss to the underdog Avs in our best regular season this decade, Mark Jankowski going from meh to horrendous.

I think you're right; this is the darkest timeline.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
While I haven't personally seen him play, he is a 22 year old second year pro. A right shot C/RW with some size 6'1" 190 lb. that is currently 3rd in the AHL in scoring (1.13 ppg). He has been playing C the whole season in Stockton from what I understand. Has some grit (59 PIM in first year, 18 so far this year) and is a plus player both seasons. Calgary fans can see him in a top 9 if not top 6 at some point.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I have seen him play 10 ish games.

He’s physical. I’ve seen him demolish a few people over the years. Right shot which is great for our roster. Good shot. Smart player. Rarely makes a bad play.

I think he’ll be a bottom 6 Center

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
Anyone able to give me a little scouting report on Glenn Gawdin?

Good vision. Looks at all options. Has a good, not great, shot. Sometimes over-passes the puck. Not the fastest skater. Plays physical but in control. His game has greatly improved since last season. Came to camp about 10 pounds heavier than last season. Not fat, but muscle. A good 3C option for next season.

Heat season ticket holder for the past 4 seasons.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Good vision. Looks at all options. Has a good, not great, shot. Sometimes over-passes the puck. Not the fastest skater. Plays physical but in control. His game has greatly improved since last season. Came to camp about 10 pounds heavier than last season. Not fat, but muscle. A good 3C option for next season.

Heat season ticket holder for the past 4 seasons.

Glad to have you join us SF, enjoyed your articles the past few years, but I don't enjoy the comment section on FN as much.

I hope he can be a 3C for us long run, but definitely a strong contender to take a roster spot next year if he doesn't slow down too much. A very nice potential Jankowski replacement.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Does Luke Philp have NHL potential? He's tied for the team lead in goals and has been floating around PPG for the last 25 or so games. What's his skating like?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Does Luke Philp have NHL potential? He's tied for the team lead in goals and has been floating around PPG for the last 25 or so games. What's his skating like?

Maybe as a bottom 6 guy. Smart player who plays his position very well and has a great feel on how to get open. Skating is good not great, more deceptive with his edges than breakaway speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad