Stockpiling. Does it ever work out?

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
It looks like my favorite shaft is going on clearance these days making way for the new year's line. I can't decide if I want to buy one/two of these shafts or not just to have for the future. I'll regret it if my twig breaks, but I don't need to be spending the money right now.

Do any of you regret not picking up stuff before it disappeared?
Do any of you have stockpiled stuff sitting around never getting any use?

:sarcasm:

OprtnShtdwn

Jan 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I always took advantage of the Pro Stock sales when i'd go to Blue Jackets games, usually grabing either a goaltender or players stick. It's always nice to know I have backups at home for if and when a stick breaks.

I have 4 player sticks & 3 goaltender sticks
- Warrior Dolomite (Marc Methot)
- Easton Synergy (Chris Gratton)
- RBK 7k Sickick (Kris Beech)
- Bauer Vapor XXX Lite (Trevor Letowski)
- All I remember bout the goal sticks is there all Reebok, one is Dublewicz, Ellis, & the other is from a local hockey shop

So, it cant hurt to have an extras. I've needed mine thanks to the moron who chopped my Response stick in half =(

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
I have 4 unused one95 blades sitting in my drawer at home plus 2 ready to be played one95 shaft+blade combos in my stick bag. In total 2 shafts and 6 blades (one used, 5 unused). I stockpiled as soon as I read reports about the totalone blade not coming close to the one95 blade feel so for me it made sense to stockpile stuff I love to play with.

I think stockpiling gear you absolutely love makes sense. A lot of products have gone out of production and have not been replaced adequately.

So eventually when my last one95 blade has gone to hockey heavens I will most likely regret not having bought more of them :)

elevation

May 25, 2007
Germany
When SWD bought TPS, my supplier lost the deal with them last winter/spring...I stockpiled 5 R2XN10, 9 R8s (5 pros in SW, 2 retails, 2 shafts), 2 R10s, 2 R7 shafts, 2 R6 pros (not the 3flex stuff)..and about 25 blades..lol
I've got a wheeled team stick bag packed....and still got some backup sticks from past seasons.
Also stockpiled 2 R8 pro gloves (FFH), 2 Eagle PPFs pre Vaughn and 2 new sets of JOFA chest, shins, elbows (JOFA/RBK 8K)...
AND/BUT I always epoxy my blades and clean my stuff as it would be the last piece of equipment I've got. ;-)
Love it and stockpile!

Last edited:

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Stockpiling gear, esp gear that will not be produced anymore, is a great idea. The only time it is a bad idea is if you are choosing it over paying a bill or eating.

elevation

May 25, 2007
Germany
The only time it is a bad idea is if you are choosing it over paying a bill or eating.
Definitely true and most important especially for younger players. But when you can afford it and hit the right time/place you can get such good prices AND better stuff...what really doubles the fun!

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I have 3 synergy ST's right now (1 used, 2 unused). I got them at a great price so I didn't really think twice about it. Great price might be an understatement there actually lol. Got 3 for the retail price of one. I've broken one already, but the second one seems to be holding up nicely. Definitely not the indestructible stick some people rave on about though.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't break a lot of sticks, but I have bought "doubles" of sticks I liked. In almost every situation, I ended up selling that and trying something else. Granted, I'm CONSTANTLY switching up my sticks/blades/shafts/etc, but I don't like stockpiling because the second I think I know what I like, I switch it up again. So I've learned to just keep a bunch of sticks of different flexes and curves so I can just grab one off the shelf rather than buying a new one.

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
Stockpiling is always a great idea... wish I that years ago with my TPS RESPONSE-TKACHUK pattern ---- good luck finding that stick or a pattern identical to the Tkachuk these days!

Of course eating & a roof over your head comes before stockpiling ;-)

GLG

factsarefacts

Sep 24, 2008
stockpiling is a great idea....until you get hurt, can't play anymore and have to practically give away your stuff LOL please don't ask me how i know that :(

OprtnShtdwn

Jan 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Stockpiling is always a great idea... wish I that years ago with my TPS RESPONSE-TKACHUK pattern ---- good luck finding that stick or a pattern identical to the Tkachuk these days!

Of course eating & a roof over your head comes before stockpiling ;-)

GLG

i had one..... until some guy got mad and 2 handed it half. I remember the guy, and i will either do the same, or gonna plow the guy. It'll be worth the penalty

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
How many sticks do you have? I have like 5 sticks I still haven't used yet. :laugh:

It's cheaper to buy the sticks in bulk and I plan on playing hockey for several more years so I'll get to them when I get to them. Worst case, you can always sell the sticks off. You're not going to get all of your money back but sell them to people you know. It's easier to take a loss on them if you know the person you're selling it to.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Boy am I glad the Reebok 8K shafts are still around at HM. Snapped my shaft about a foot from the top during practice on Thursday. Two people not looking where they're going, boom, snapped twig, purple hand. 3-pack from HM, here I come. :D

Jerry Lundegaard

Sutter for Captain
Jan 3, 2010
Connecticut
I've recently stocked up on Easton SE16 one-piece sticks. Along with the ones I already have, there's quite a few of them. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
- Bauer Vapor XXX Lite (Trevor Letowski)

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

As for whether it works out, ask Brendan Shanahan. I'm pretty sure he still has a metric carpton of Easton Aluminums lying around somewhere from when he bought out easton's remaining stock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->