Proposal: STL/NYI Mega Sales Pitch (Tavares, Pietrangelo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
JBo is starting to decline and Shattenkirk is not a 1st pairing defenseman. Parayko might be in a year or two, but not right now.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Point Shares becomes iffy once a player is exceptional at one task and the coach uses him exclusively for that task. Shattenkirk is a petulant defender (taking stupid stick fouls once beaten) and is used primarily for his power play and offensive gifts.

Because of this, I would never say that Shattenkirk is better than Pietrangelo. Shattenkirk is able to have a higher point share because Alex Pietrangelo is capable of doing the dirty work. Shattenkirk will never succeed on a team that cannot carry his deficiencies. He is severely overrated because he is so amazingly 1 dimensional. In fact, I believe the Blues will be better off once he does move on as the offensive talent and 2-way play by guys like Alexander Steen will not let the Power Play devolve into trash.

This argument could be applied, to various degrees, for 5 of the 10 defensemen on your top 10 defensemen list. Burns, Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Letang, and Ekblad all suffer from similar deficiencies outlined in your argument.

Obviously my post was made in jest, however the fact that a guy like Ekblad(I won't even get into anyone else) made your top 10 defensemen list over Pietrangelo shows questionable judgement.

Your original proposal, being one of the worst I've ever seen, should make you aware that your valuation of players, and the methods used to arrive at those valuations, may be something that needs to be re-assessed.

Last edited:

Beninnola

Mar 29, 2012
This argument could be applied, to various degrees, for 5 of the 10 defensemen on your top 10 defensemen list. Burns, Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Letang, and Ekblad all suffer from the same deficiencies outlined in your argument.

Obviously my post was made in jest, however the fact that a guy like Ekblad(I won't even get into anyone else) made your top 10 defensemen list over Pietrangelo shows questionable judgement.

Your original proposal, being one of the worst I've ever seen, should make you aware that your valuation of players, and the methods used to arrive at those valuations, may be something that needs to be re-assessed.

All of this is objective. We can slice and dice this to death. I'm willing to break this down to exact values to fight a point. You're welcome to dismiss, ignore, or trash as you see fit but I am capable of defending it.

After browsing TSN, SI, EA, and ESPN's top defenseman lists, it is hard for me to agree with you, as all roughly agree with me. So does the league in Norris voting. Furthermore, after reviewing TOI and performance during the World Cup of Hockey, it seems GMs agree with me too. In fact, I can't find one source or stastic that points to your claim.

I feel safe saying Tavares is closer to generational talent than Pietrangelo. It is harder to get a Tavares than it is to get a Pietrangelo. The impact Tavares would have on the Blues would be greater than the impact Pietrangelo has. Considering the past 10 cup winning teams, Tavares is the final piece for STL. He's what they all have in common. He is what the Blues do not have and do not have in development.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just a ridiculous proposal. When has a player of Tavares' caliber returned that much in recent memory?

A #1 defenseman in Pietrangelo, 1st line winger in Schwartz, two of our better prospects, AND two first round picks.

That is stupid.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
After browsing TSN, SI, EA, and ESPN's top defenseman lists, it is hard for me to agree with you, as all roughly agree with me.

I'm confused, do you think this helps your argument?

So does the league in Norris voting.

Player|Norris Finishes
Ekblad|16,22
Pietrangelo|4,5,14,22

Furthermore, after reviewing TOI and performance during the World Cup of Hockey, it seems GMs agree with me too. In fact, I can't find one source or stastic that points to your claim.

Aaron Ekblad played one game in the tournament, again, this doesn't help your argument.

If you "can't find one source or statistic that points to my claim", you're not looking hard enough.

Beninnola

Mar 29, 2012
Just a ridiculous proposal. When has a player of Tavares' caliber returned that much in recent memory?

A #1 defenseman in Pietrangelo, 1st line winger in Schwartz, two of our better prospects, AND two first round picks.

That is stupid.

I would say the following are his caliber:

Kopitar, Toews, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos, Getzlaf-ish

None of these players have ever been traded. They are why teams win cups.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I would say the following are his caliber:

Kopitar, Toews, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos, Getzlaf-ish

None of these players have ever been traded. They are why teams win cups.
Joe Thornton 2005-2006. Keep dreaming if you think Tavares is going to pull a bunch of unicorns out in a trade:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad