Confirmed Trade: [STL/MTL] Marco Scandella (50% retained) for 2020 2nd round pick and cond. 2021 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Realy good trade by Bergevin. I have suspected an overpayment for Scandella but not by that much. He's gonna be a nice filler for St-Louis and he'll maybe play a bigger role than some think. Sometime, its just about the fit in the lineup

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Habs have 12 picks already in 2020.

If they are moving other players, I'd be asking for prospects who are closer to NHL ready, then trying to get more picks. At some point, with a 50 contract limit, having too many picks all in one draft becomes an issue where you can't sign players.

I think that is a good problem to have. The more options the better, and you can always trade prospects for future picks if they're worthy of a contract. Not all will make it, of course, but the more picks the better. You can also mitigate this somewhat by drafting from a variety of leagues such as US high school and college and European leagues in addition to Canadian Jr.

I agree though, for the Habs it would be ideal to trade for a Draft +1 player who is trending in the right direction. More certainty and closer to the NHL.

Reactions: HabsQC

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Constantly argued that this was a sellers market based of the zucker trade and I was correct

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the difference between both Scandella hauls can be explained with the 50% retention and the ineptitude of botteril but I think that’s already been covered in here so I’ll just say it’s a nice move for both sides

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Plus Scandella will do well in St Louis as he will be paired with a great RD..Parayko, Pietrangelo or Faulk.

Hopefully he resigns or they make it to round 3...maybe they trade a second to move up in Rd 1

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I guessed St. Louis for a 3rd so pleasantly surprised with this one. Great asset management now make sure there’s a follow up

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
TSN producers of deadline day show crying in their coffee right now.

It's been happening for a few years now. Deadline day is more like deadline week.

I was not impressed with scandella at all in Montreal, so I'm surprised his value increased to that extent.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Great trade for Bergevin confirming what every MTL fan knows : he is good at selling, poor at drafting, poor at signing ufas, poor at giving a clear direction to the team ;)

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Bergevin trades well but he can't build a team to save his life

This.

Two players drafted and developed by the Habs under Bergevin's tenure on the ice last night, Mete and Lehkonen.
8 years and 60 picks later - Two players.

For someone selling "Building throught the draft" to Habs' fans, that is inexcusably bad.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Good haul for Bergevin. Scandella has been solid for the Habs. He plays a simple, steady game which will slot nicely into the St Louis blueline for the playoffs.

Reactions: Archijerej

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
More than I wanted to pay. Congrats, Montreal fans! A 2nd in a deep draft is a haul for Scandella. Well done.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
No better target than Jack Eichel, but I hear that GM in Buffalo is pretty astute so Bergevin may need some Jedi mind tricks to go with his magic tricks.:sarcasm:
No. You just need to make sure to include some enormous cap dumps. Botterill loves spending his assets to take on other teams cap dumps. He doesn’t seem to grasp the concept that the other team is supposed to pay you to take on their cap dumps.

Would a 1st + Eichel for Price and Alzner work for you guys? *Botterilling intensifies*

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No doubt it was a bit of an overpayment but still, a 2nd isn't the next Alex Ovechkin. Simmer down guys lol.

We acquired him for a 4th and got a 2nd and conditional 4th about 1.5 months later. You should simmer down with your pessimism. This is a great move by Bergevin. The 2nd is a late 2nd but it's much better than a 4th in terms of probability of hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad