Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Kyle Clifford signs with the Blues (2 years, $1M AAV)

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
His ice time in Toronto was way less than it had been with LA. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have come back to Toronto for only 1 mill AAV.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Might be a nail in the coffin for Pietrangelo.

They only thing the Blues can possibly do to keep him is by trading Schwartz, Bozak and Steen, or give an additional first to buy one of them out and bring them back. Which if you ask me is also pointless considering we're almost at the expansion draft.
The nail in the coffin was signing krug. This has little impact on petro. Guy is a forward and he barely makes over league minimum. He makes only 300k over what ahl player we would have had as 4th liner /13th or 14th forward we would have had on the team instead.

300k isnt going to make or break cap.

Steen may be on long term injured reserve though to start season though as will tarasenko.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Reminds me of Dominic Moore turning down a Leafs contract, only to go to market and get less....lol

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
The Blues are stacked with depth at forward, if Clifford doesn’t keep up he could get buried even with Tarasenko and Steen out.

I don't think he has a real chance of beating out the likes of Bozak, Blais, Kyrou, etc on top 9. But beating out DLR for the last regular spot shouldn't be that hard.

He will be an every day player, if Steen remains out.

Reactions: 67Blues

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I wouldn't say so, not anymore. If we are going forward with Krug and Faulk it looks like we are embracing a more run and gun style of play. My personal view of that is "good luck with that".
It's not like Pietrangelo was a slow bruiser. He led the run and gun a lot. The Blues style is heavy possession. Both Krug and Faulk are good in possession. The forwards tend to be heavier style players. But the defensemen never really have been.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It's not like Pietrangelo was a slow bruiser. He led the run and gun a lot. The Blues style is heavy possession. Both Krug and Faulk are good in possession. The forwards tend to be heavier style players. But the defensemen never really have been.
What? Did you watch Faulk last season? He was a turnover machine!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Berube will get more out of Clifford than Keefe did. Former teammate Kris Versteeg on SNET trade day said he was under used in Toronto. He may regain his LA form, St Louis run for 4 lines. Not a bad deal.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think he has a real chance of beating out the likes of Bozak, Blais, Kyrou, etc on top 9. But beating out DLR for the last regular spot shouldn't be that hard.

He will be an every day player, if Steen remains out.

DLR is a good PK option and MacEachern is probably a better energy option, but the Blues haven't been handing those last few spots to anybody. He's there for competition and depth. He'll only be an everyday player if he performs and the Blues win. As soon as they lose, Clifford's spot is the one that gets rotated.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Leafs offered more but he wanted to go to market.

He probably tried to circle back and they said all we got is 700k now.

That sucks for him as he and his agent misread the market.
that 1.3 m offered to clifford was probably the money they gave to simmonds after he declined the offer .
Good, would rather have simmonds .
Clifford and that sh*t rat barrie can play each other in the west now

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad