Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Justin Faulk signs extension with the Blues (7 years, $6.5M AAV)

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I seem to recall people saying similar things about giving Tyler Bozak the contract we gave him last year too and that turned out okay too.

Bozak received a 19% raise over 3 years to fill a similar role to the one he played the previous two seasons. Faulk will receive a 56% raise over 7 years to be demoted to a lesser role or take away minutes from a better RHD. Bozak was also free, where as Faulk returned more than Subban and about the same as Trouba. I don't see the similarities.

Reactions: obZen and The S5

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Bozak received a 19% raise over 3 years to fill a similar role to the one he played the previous two seasons. Faulk will receive a 56% raise over 7 years to be demoted to a lesser role or take away minutes from a better RHD. Bozak was also free, where as Faulk returned more than Subban and about the same as Trouba. I don't see the similarities.

Who's to say that Faulk doesn't play in the top 4? Maybe he moves to the left side or Pietrangelo or Parayko does.

Maybe Pietrangelo has already made it known that he won't be re-signing unless he gets a contract that the Blues couldn't have feasibly offered and Faulk fills in the on the second pairing behind Parayko.

Maybe Faulk is only here for 2 seasons, Francis takes him in the expansion draft and then St. Louis has made a significant upgrade for the short term at the cost of a defender that clearly was not valued by the organization (see Armstrong's comments today and the last two years of contract negotiations) and a prospect that saw his stock drop over the past year because of questions of work ethic and inconsistency.

Looking at the way the contract is structured (the lack of a no movement clause, high dollars in the first two years, but then a big drop at the time of the expansion draft) I would actually think the last outcome is the most likeliest. At that point, the contract doesn't look bad at all for the Blues in the short term while their window is wide open.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Looking at the Blues Cap situation they are 1.2+ million over the Cap with a 24 man roster. So it looks like they will have to go with a 22 man roster since there is not a player on their team making over 1.2 Million that I see them cutting. So they will have to cut two players. Never an ideal situation to have to go with less than a 23 man roster. Want some wiggle room incase of injuries.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Looking at the Blues Cap situation they are 1.2+ million over the Cap with a 24 man roster. So it looks like they will have to go with a 22 man roster since there is not a player on their team making over 1.2 Million that I see them cutting. So they will have to cut two players. Never an ideal situation to have to go with less than a 23 man roster. Want some wiggle room incase of injuries.

How many times does it need to be said;
Carolina retained 14% of Faulk's contract(582 K in actual dollars).
Blues are compliant once we send Pouliot(700K) down.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
faulk sucks and so does this contract. a blues fan i know on discord says that faulk will play left side on the pair with pietro for some reason and jaybo will play with parayko. if they do that then yikes.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Decent extension. Just seems like a weird move unless Petro is for sure gone.

I think the Blues may be worried about this too! And that’s the reason why they signed Faulk long term, especially if Alex P asks for significantly more than what Faulk got.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
At least he is where a team wants him

Not exactly that the Canes didn't want Faulk at all... just that they didn't NEED him anymore and they def didn't want him at the contract he got from STL. So, yes, they didn't want him anymore but not because he can't play hockey or something like that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can any of Pietrangelo, Parayko or Faulk play the left side because they just paid their 3rd pairing RD $6.5m.

Reactions: Pandaman11

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Interesting contract.

If he's the #3 RHD behind Piet and Parayko: not good
If he's the new #1 RHD because Piet leaves: not good either

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Interesting contract.

If he's the #3 RHD behind Piet and Parayko: not good
If he's the new #1 RHD because Piet leaves: not good either

He would slot in as the #2RHD behind Parayko. I'd rather have the Petro/Parayko setup going forward, but there is no guarantee that Petro will come back. I wish Army would just pay him his money though. Faulk is an expensive backup plan, but It's not some dire situation that Army couldn't get around if Petro does re-sign.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
How many times does it need to be said;
Carolina retained 14% of Faulk's contract(582 K in actual dollars).
Blues are compliant once we send Pouliot(700K) down.

I think that's included with that retained money. They would be about 1.8 Million over the cap without the Canes retaining part of Faulk's salary. Atleast according to this St Louis Blues 2019 Salary Cap

Faulk is owed over 4.8 Million but here says the Blues are paying just over 4.1 Million. But on the top right still says they are about 1.2 Million over the limit.

Last edited:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
faulk sucks and so does this contract. a blues fan i know on discord says that faulk will play left side on the pair with pietro for some reason and jaybo will play with parayko. if they do that then yikes.

Lets trust your friend on discord. Thanks. Is it Craig Berube?

And how does Faulk "suck"?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Lets trust your friend on discord. Thanks. Is it Craig Berube?

And how does Faulk "suck"?
bad defensively, shoots way too much costing his team possessions

and yeah lol i think the dude is wrong, idk why playing faulk on his off side and on the top pair would be smart whatsoever

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
bad defensively, shoots way too much costing his team possessions

and yeah lol i think the dude is wrong, idk why playing faulk on his off side and on the top pair would be smart whatsoever

"bad defensively" would be the guy Carolina got back, Joel Edmundson. If Faulk was so bad defensively as you said I find it curious why his coaches saw fit to give him so many minutes on one of the leagues very best defenses.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

Yeah the JBO-Parayko pairing is terrible. It only helped win us 1 Stanley Cup in 2018-2019.

Hopefully Faulk on the left side with Petro can be better than Joel Edmundson or Vince Dunn playing with a broken jaw. Odds are low. Edmundson is a beast...hence why he was benched 4 times during our Cup run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad