Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] D Matthew Kessel signs extension with the Blues (2 years, $800k AAV)

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

To be honest, the guy is middling in every way as a prospect, so much as I have seen him. If our organization has even a marginally deep group of D prospects, he would not be getting a spot at the NHL level, and may never have.

The only real legit youngster that we have on D is perennially injured, and our D prospect pool ranks somewhere between mediocre to non-existent. We have one of the best and deepest forward prospect group, but the D is diametrically opposite. If we don't fix that soon, I don't think the retool (or whatever you want to call it) would turn out to have any success. And we will be back in this position again in 5-6 years with nothing to show for.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The guy is middling in every way as a prospect in the same way that a guy who is probably going to play hundreds of games in the NHL as a second pairing defenseman is middling.

Matt Kessel has size and excellent rink IQ. He's going to be a player. This is one of the best things to happen to the Blues to have a young cheap D who can actually play, gotten in the 5th round. But someone like Tyler Tucker is not going to stick, he doesn't have the footspeed unfortunately

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
To be honest, the guy is middling in every way as a prospect, so much as I have seen him. If our organization has even a marginally deep group of D prospects, he would not be getting a spot at the NHL level, and may never have.

The only real legit youngster that we have on D is perennially injured, and our D prospect pool ranks somewhere between mediocre to non-existent. We have one of the best and deepest forward prospect group, but the D is diametrically opposite. If we don't fix that soon, I don't think the retool (or whatever you want to call it) would turn out to have any success. And we will be back in this position again in 5-6 years with nothing to show for.

He's come in and played with Krug so he's most definitely not being sheltered and he hasn't stood out in a negative way at all. Imagine if he played with a good partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad