Trade: [STL/COL] Nolan Arenado for Austin Gomber, Elehuris Montero, Tony Locey, Monteo Gil, Jake Sommers

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I guess we will get to see if he is really a product of Coors field or not, thus far he has been in the range of Mickey Mantle at home, and Daniel Murphy on the road
He'll dip a bit, no doubt, but if the dip is similar to Holliday's, that would be fine.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah, even if he's got an opt out clause it's inexcusable that COL wasn't able to get at least one top 5 prospect in return

this is arenado we're talking about

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Not only did Colorado send $50 million to St. Louis but the Cardinals didn't even part with any of their top prospects.

from cbssports.com:

The St. Louis Cardinals have landed All-Star third baseman Nolan Arenado in a blockbuster trade with the Colorado Rockies, CBS Sports' R.J. Anderson has confirmed. Colorado is expected to retain approximately $50 million of the $199 million remaining on Arenado's contract. Lefty Austin Gomber, righties Jake Woodford and Angel Rondon, first baseman Luken Baker, and outfielder Jhon Torres are headed to Colorado in exchange for Arenado.

Gomber, 27, owns a 3.72 ERA in 104 MLB innings with St. Louis. MLB.com ranks the 20-year-old Torres the No. 9 prospect in the Cardinals' system and says "the final product could be that of an above-average big leaguer who offers value in all facets of the game." MLB.com also ranks Rondon and Baker the No. 13 and 23 prospects in the system, respectively. Woodford, 24, is unranked and had a 5.57 ERA in 21 innings with St. Louis in 2020.

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
The worst run sports club in all of professional sports. Screw Bridich and the Monforts.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
This is the 2nd time the Cards got one of the best 3rd Basemen in the game for hardly anything.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I hate the Cards but now I think I might hate the Rockies more. Please take our superstar 3B with an extra cherry on top. Gross

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Man great move by the Cards. They sure do love taking the Rockies star players :sarcasm:

Mozeliak was due for a big splash like this. I wanted to buy a Cards jersey this year (IMO they have a top 3 uniform in MLB), so this gives me an easy choice :laugh:

This explains why they were so inactive on free agents. Only concern is that opt-out, but hopefully that won't be an issue.

Cards are pretty good at retaining players and are a world class organization so shouldn't be an issue. Heck, they almost kept Pujols but Moreno gave him a blank cheque.

what the hell is colorado doing?

how are you gonna trade the best 3B in all of baseball and get a bunch of shitty prospects in return? how has bridich not been fired already? that's the type of shit that loses you fans

More like how does Monfort still own the team.

Kroenke outta pony up and rescue the team. He already owns 2 of the other 3 Denver teams, and has turned both into successful franchises.

Last edited:

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Arenado's home/road splits scare me a little bit, but the Cardinals gave up basically nothing AND are getting 50 million back, so I love this deal. Gomber, a decent swing guy and Jhon Torres, their #9 prospect, are the headliners with a few other low level prospects going the other way too. Kept Gorman, kept Liberatore (Carlson was never going to be included).

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
not surprising at all. this was always gonna happen after that disastrous contract was signed that gave him an optout after 3 years and full not trade protection.

so it's not like you could even trade him to the highest bidder, he'd need to approve the destination. severely limited the value COl could get back.

Even with the pandemic, i think he would have opted out after the year if he was still a Rockie.

Last edited:

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Huge fan of this trade if Jhon Torres is the most we give up. I like Torres a lot, but he's not in the caliber of, say, Carlson, Gorman, Liberatore, Herrera, Thompson, or Walker. If we're talking potential outfielders, I'd put Tre Fletcher over Torres as Fletcher has the potential to be a 20-20 center fielder. Hell, Gorman or Walker could end up in the outfield, and we still have Carlson.

Reactions: brokeu91

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I guess we will get to see if he is really a product of Coors field or not, thus far he has been in the range of Mickey Mantle at home, and Daniel Murphy on the road

If they can get 2015 NL Playoffs Daniel Murphy on the road, the Cards will be fine with that

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Arenado's home/road splits scare me a little bit, but the Cardinals gave up basically nothing AND are getting 50 million back, so I love this deal. Gomber, a decent swing guy and Jhon Torres, their #9 prospect, are the headliners with a few other low level prospects going the other way too. Kept Gorman, kept Liberatore (Carlson was never going to be included).

Can anyone name a star Rockies player that had relatively even home/road splits even just for one season?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Can anyone name a star Rockies player that had relatively even home/road splits even just for one season?

In 2000, Todd Helton had the following home/road numbers:

Home - .391/.484/.758, 368 PA
Road - .353/.441/.633, 329 PA

Still a big split, but not too outrageous. Helton was very good.

Larry Walker in 1997 actually had a reverse split (by OPS):

Home - .384/.460/.709, 350 PA, 116 H, 30 2B, 4 3B, 20 HR
Road - .346/.443/.733, 314 PA, 92 H, 16 2B, 0 3B, 29 HR

It's unusual, but for a single season not unheard of. Probably small sample size issues, or possibly something to do with the teams/pitchers faced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->