Proposal: STL, CBJ, Tor

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
There are four trade proposals currently (on Page 1) involving Leafs and a top 4 defender. Seems like an average day.
Nylander has a lot of teams to report to this season if these all go through.

Hope he doesn’t read this thing. H s going to feel very unwanted

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I think both Blues and Jackets aim for playoffs, cant see any of them intressted in spending assets on a playoff Houdini...

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
CBJ accepting futures is more likely than STL agreeing to trading Parayko for Panarin, IMO. IF STL can't get him for futures, then there's not much of a reason for STL to acquire Panarin given their lack of RHD replacements, their relative depth on LW, and the need to be adding to their core - not subtracting. CBJ can look elsewhere to get roster players in return, but it will be difficult considering the need to find a partner that has the cap space, the roster players, the ability to S&T Panarin, has room to protect Panarin and the rest of their players in the ED, and can survive the CBA lockout and pay Panarin's salary. We're talking teams that are either pretender or contender status, and I don't think any of those teams would be willing to put forth the kind of roster players needed to make a mostly non-futures deal work - especially when you consider the cap for those teams.

If CBJ can find that team, they should take it, but I'm willing to bet that when Panarin is traded it will be based more around futures than anything.

Your post made me wonder if we could do something like panarin + savard for parayko + fabbri or steen.

Obviously fabbri would be preferred but we would need to figure something out with cap to make it work (hence steen though he immediately becomes the oldest player on our roster and declining).

We could then flip Parayko (or go full Nashville and keep him).

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Your post made me wonder if we could do something like panarin + savard for parayko + fabbri or steen.

Obviously fabbri would be preferred but we would need to figure something out with cap to make it work (hence steen though he immediately becomes the oldest player on our roster and declining).

We could then flip Parayko (or go full Nashville and keep him).
I mean, maybe, but I don’t think it likely STL would be willing to downgrade on defense. There are ways we could upgrade our LW (although not to the extent Panarin would) without having to downgrade our defense. Fabbri has an exclusive deal with the Blues to market his hats, so I don’t think we nor Fabbri are earnestly looking at dealing him.

I think the Blues would look at a futures deal for Panarin, or just look elsewhere before they would consider moving Parayko. Steen has a NTC, so I consider that a dead end as well.

We’d either need to trade a huge futures package for Panarin with 1M retention, or use Edmundson’s arbitration to buyout Bouwmeester for 1.8M to make room. Pretty much any future piece not named Thomas would be readily available. I’ve floated Kostin+Barbashev+Jaskin+1st+2nd for Panarin, maybe upgrading Barbashev to Fabbri or Kyrou If he comes signed. I’m not sure how that would stack up to other offers, but it’s probably the most ‘realistic’ package the Blues would be willing to put forward. Panarin just isn’t enough of a need, even when I value him as one of the top forwards in the league (and that’s not even factoring in his ability to steal the puck).

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
CBJ accepting futures is more likely than STL agreeing to trading Parayko for Panarin, IMO. IF STL can't get him for futures, then there's not much of a reason for STL to acquire Panarin given their lack of RHD replacements, their relative depth on LW, and the need to be adding to their core - not subtracting. CBJ can look elsewhere to get roster players in return, but it will be difficult considering the need to find a partner that has the cap space, the roster players, the ability to S&T Panarin, has room to protect Panarin and the rest of their players in the ED, and can survive the CBA lockout and pay Panarin's salary. We're talking teams that are either pretender or contender status, and I don't think any of those teams would be willing to put forth the kind of roster players needed to make a mostly non-futures deal work - especially when you consider the cap for those teams.

If CBJ can find that team, they should take it, but I'm willing to bet that when Panarin is traded it will be based more around futures than anything.
Its already been stated we will keep him and hope to make a good run this year and having a good playoffs is a good return on investment for Panarin if we dont get a current young roster guy for him. That doesnt mean it cant be something like a recent top draft pick winger in return like Wahlstrom or Tippett+ on the panthers but it wont be picks and average guys like Thomas who wouldnt be on our big club. Buffalo took your best prospect that we would have wanted in the ROR deal. So if STL wanted Panarin you would likely need a 3rd team to give us a young roster player who can replace Panarins points. If you need a RHD so bad Savard can be added from the CBJ end for your late 1st and your 2nd pair RHD is fine again.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Panarin to STL ensures that we lose a member of our core going forward. It would also probably cost another member of the core to acquire. Is it worth it? Not so sure. I think we’d have to make a deal that would involve Parayko and Steen just to make sure we have money to give Pietro, Schenn and Dunn raises when Panarin extension kicks in

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
...playoff Houdini...
Are you saying that Nylander had to be shackled in handcuffs and leg-irons supplied by local police and then sewn up inside the whale’s belly. Not one to refuse an exciting challenge, and that Nylander agreed to this or was it against his will.

With Nylander manacled inside, the carcass of a beached whale was tightly laced and completely wrapped in chains. Fifteen minutes later, the great m hockey player emerges smiling, and audiences had no idea that he nearly suffocated on arsenic fumes – the chemical used to embalm the whale?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Panarin to STL ensures that we lose a member of our core going forward. It would also probably cost another member of the core to acquire. Is it worth it? Not so sure. I think we’d have to make a deal that would involve Parayko and Steen just to make sure we have money to give Pietro, Schenn and Dunn raises when Panarin extension kicks in
Not really. We have enough cap after Bouwmeester comes off to sign Dunn next year. Petro and Schenn shouldn’t ask for more than 17M together, so we will have room for that, too after Seattle takes one of Perron, Steen, or Bozak. We have enough spots to protect everyone important as long as STL elects to go 2 years on Ed’s arbitration.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Toronto fan that says this doesn't help St.Louis because there is no replacement there for Parayko.

St.Louis: Savard, Panarin (extension)
Toronto: Parayko, Sedlak,
Columbus: Zaitsev, Nylander, Leivo

Seems it would be massive to do though and then I feel like TOR/CBJ don't get enough.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Not really. We have enough cap after Bouwmeester comes off to sign Dunn next year. Petro and Schenn shouldn’t ask for more than 17M together, so we will have room for that, too after Seattle takes one of Perron, Steen, or Bozak. We have enough spots to protect everyone important as long as STL elects to go 2 years on Ed’s arbitration.
Does Steen have a ntc or nmc depends on which one if we have to protect him or not

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Are you saying that Nylander had to be shackled in handcuffs and leg-irons supplied by local police and then sewn up inside the whale’s belly. Not one to refuse an exciting challenge, and that Nylander agreed to this or was it against his will.

With Nylander manacled inside, the carcass of a beached whale was tightly laced and completely wrapped in chains. Fifteen minutes later, the great m hockey player emerges smiling, and audiences had no idea that he nearly suffocated on arsenic fumes – the chemical used to embalm the whale?
Not really, they put him on the ice, but he escaped and noone noticed him

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not really, they put him on the ice, but he escaped and noone noticed him
I noticed him. Played ok from my perspective. Played in all 7 games. How is it remotely possible that you or anyone else didn't notice him!

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Just dumb, to make a trade when you hope for an extension in place. So CBJ allows Panarin to negotiate with the Blues. By miracle they come to an extension, if though Panarin has declared he wants to pursue free agency. So now the Blues have all the leverage in a trade. They low ball Columbus, Columbus says no and now Panarin is really pissed because he has to go back to CBJ a team that doesn't want him.
These nonsensical "negotiate with another team" trades should be nuked at the source.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Toronto fan that says this doesn't help St.Louis because there is no replacement there for Parayko.

St.Louis: Savard, Panarin (extension)
Toronto: Parayko, Sedlak,
Columbus: Zaitsev, Nylander, Leivo

Seems it would be massive to do though and then I feel like TOR/CBJ don't get enough.
I would find this interesting if I attached any useful value whatsoever to either of Zaitsev or Leivo. :)

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
So St. Louis gets yet another LW to add to their collection, and lose our 2nd RHD, who we have no internal replacement for. Ha ha ha ha ... NO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad