Confirmed Trade: [STL/BUF] Ryan O'Reilly for 2019 1st, 2021 2nd, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, and Tage Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I didn't like the core of the deal, but I also didn't like not being able to get at least Fitzpatrick in lieu of the 2021 2nd rounder. He would've been a nice add to our goaltender pipeline.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I'm not that into figuring out who your "sources" are. For now, I'll take the words of prominent writers and hockey insiders. I'm not saying you or your "source" is wrong, but there is a lot of evidence to the contrary as per your Berglund statement, that's it.
I’d love to see some of this evidence that the Blues were shopping Berglund without anyone wanting him. It would be shocking that no team wants a center paid like a third liner who produces 20 goals per 82 games and is a good possession player.

By the way, I’ll take my sources of the media any day. Example? I knew Tavares would not even consider STL back in October, yet the media reported over and over that the Blues were in the mix until, suddenly, the Blues were never in the mix.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
As of now St Louis wins the trade. Here's a more positive take from a Sabres POV.

It's pretty clear there was underlying reasons ROR had to be dealt. We don't know what those are but it's pretty obvious they felt he was working with the group for some reason. If we are better this season, it is possible it wouldn't have happened if ROR was still on the team, hockey is weird like that. So punching a wall might not be the best idea.

Seems they are banking on essentially swapping ROR for Mittlestadt offensively, while shifting his defensive minutes to Berglund and Sobotka and praying it works. Sheary will hopefully be able to take Kane's spot (Kane put up goals but did not work well with Eichel).

The part you're underestimating is going to be the depth of the team... replacing Pouliot, Nolan, Josefsen with real NHLers like Berglund and Sobotka, and being able to move down guys like Wilson or Girgensons out of the top 6 and into a proper role. On the blueline you can take out non-NHL caliber guys like Gorges and Falk and slot in Dahlin and a guy like Hunwick. In net we can't be any worse. From a positive perspective, the top 6 gets faster and will be able to be leveraged more offensively, and the bottom 6 is going to be much better in that it has NHL caliber players.

I agree with you about the underlying factors, whether management was correct or not is unknown.

I don’t underestimate the help for our depth. I just don’t think losing O’Reilly for that depth helps them win more than just signing a couple ufas to fill those roles and let O’Reilly play with Mittlestadt.

What’s done is done, and it’s possible that Thompson and the picks will provide a strong player. But that’s down the road. If they were looking to win this year, and felt like they had to free themselves of O’Reilly’s poisons, Botts could have prioritized a more impactful roster player. So sick of the crappy management.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think buffalo fans will like this trade when these players are flipped at the deadline for a few picks/prospects.
I almost expect Berglund to be traded at some point soon by BUF. I think Sobotka is less attractive but there are teams that want that scrappy "potential". Not sure what you could get for either, I am bad at guessing that stuff.

Reactions: trevorftw

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I almost expect Berglund to be traded at some point soon by BUF. I think Sobotka is less attractive but there are teams that want that scrappy "potential". Not sure what you could get for either, I am bad at guessing that stuff.
Sobotka unfortunately left his scrap in the KHL somewhere.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Butterfly effect bro. Maybe they don't win without Richards? Who knows.

Look at Vegas, you could say every other team didn't win because any of those players they let go in the expansion draft but they made it to the cup.
In the context of pure trade value.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

No, these guys are going to be on Buffalo's opening night roster. The thing that's killed us the most over the last few seasons is that we had about ~6 NHL players on the roster. We desperately need competent role players. I would've much preferred to get them in UFA or via minor trades than by trading our 2nd best player, but what's done is done.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
In the context of pure trade value.
Richards wasn't the reason they won either one. Richards the player was a failure in LA.

Richards put up 50 point pace when they won their first title. He mattered a lot.

He put up a better pace the next year. He mattered a lot. He was a solid 3rd line center and spot cover throughout the lineup when they won their second title. Your trying way too hard if you think the Kings regretted that trade.

If you want to reach and say that because Richards didn’t end his career with Kong’s and age gracefully, sure he wasn’t the perfect return of all time. But still quite beneficial, and his substance issues were known to the Kings before they made the move.

Let’s put it this way. If O’Reilly is one of your 4 best forwards and the Blues win the Cup next year, and then injuries slow him down m, but he is an effective depth forward when the Blues win their second cup in three years, are you really going to complain or say you didn’t get what you expected? I don’t think so.

And to play it further, how about instead of Richards you said Carter? Let’s just agree you got the more stable and predictable asset. We got a couple good lotto tickets in Thompson and the first.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
While I agree completely the Blues got the quality end of the deal I don't subscribe to the Sabres being in on Hughes in the significant way they had the chance with Dahlin.
If you take a look at what Botterill has done in 2 drafts combined with what already existed in the up and coming prospect system, the Sabres are very heavy Swedish. Berglund was most certainly a good choice as a veteran to help those kids along, unless Blues fans tell me other wise, and I haven't seen many if any at all, say Berglund was a bad character guy or locker room distraction. Maybe some can chime in on this aspect.
Berglund is apparently great guy but he (and Sobotka) were among players management apparently felt were more focused on NHL lifestyle than maximizing their impact on team. After benching he did seem to play better. And he was longest tenured player but didn't wear letter (don't think he ever did even when folks were hurt). He's not a bad player, but not sure he is guy you want to count on as veteran leader/mentor.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Richards wasn't the reason they won either one. Richards the player was a failure in LA.

The 2012 playoff run that the Kings won the cup, Richards had 12 Points in 15 games during the run, So before you go spewing that he wasn't the reason, No one is the single reason a team wins...Everyone pulls on the rope and the team succeeds. If someone isnt pulling on the rope you will fall.

12 points in 15 games in the 2012 run is respectable. He was never touted as a superstar and that kind of production mirrors Toews production in the Hawks runs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The 2012 playoff run that the Kings won the cup, Richards had 12 Points in 15 games during the run, So before you go spewing that he wasn't the reason, No one is the single reason a team wins...Everyone pulls on the rope and the team succeeds. If someone isnt pulling on the rope you will fall.

12 points in 15 games in the 2012 run is respectable. He was never touted as a superstar and that kind of production mirrors Toews production in the Hawks runs.
Still missing the point.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
No, these guys are going to be on Buffalo's opening night roster. The thing that's killed us the most over the last few seasons is that we had about ~6 NHL players on the roster. We desperately need competent role players. I would've much preferred to get them in UFA or via minor trades than by trading our 2nd best player, but what's done is done.

After having a little time to reflect on the deal, I really don't like it for Buffalo. I completely agree with your comment about depth, both that they need it and that FA or other means would have been better ways to look after it. The depth might help them be slightly better this season, but that's balanced by losing ROR. I think what Buffalo really needed was one or two young players either ready to play in the NHL or very close. I don't think they really got that. Picks are nice but I think Buffalo really needed someone for right now, they've had lots of picks and didn't they already have two firsts next draft before the trade? Of course, I don't know what other offers were out there.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Subtracting Berglund's cap hit …..you have Ryan O'Reilly for the next 4 years at a cost of 3.65 million per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->