May 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
To Boston

Jori Lehtera
Kevin Shattenkirk

To St. Louis

David Krejci

Why Boston does this?

They get a top 4 dman that they need and get a good replacement for David Krejci.

Why St. Louis does this?

They get a #1 center to play with Vladimir Tarasenko. Vladimir Tarasenko and David Krejci would be awesome to see and I believe he would be able to push Tarasenko to the 50 goal mark.

thoughts?

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Value's close, I s'pose. Particularly with Shattenkirk only signed for this season. I'd assume that, in making the trade, Boston is confident that he will sign a long-term deal. As a fan of Krejci's game, at this point in his career, I'm not sure how much more he brings to the Blues first line than the options they already have.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
To Boston

Jori Lehtera
Kevin Shattenkirk

To St. Louis

David Krejci

Why Boston does this?

They get a top 4 dman that they need and get a good replacement for David Krejci.

Why St. Louis does this?

They get a #1 center to play with Vladimir Tarasenko. Vladimir Tarasenko and David Krejci would be awesome to see and I believe he would be able to push Tarasenko to the 50 goal mark.

thoughts?

I do this if Shattenkirk is re signed no later than 1 minute after the trade is done.

How is Lehtera defensively?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
+/- is largely irrelevant, its more of a team stat.

He's not bad defensively, but the reason he'll look worse in that area is his lack of ability in the skating department. He can kill penalties and is responsible defensively, but shouldn't really ever be relied on to be a shutdown center during 5v5 because of his skating ability. He could make it up with physical play, but he isn't a physical player.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Shattenkirk for Krejci straight up is what it should be, no idea why the Blues add Lehtera to the deal.

Sure if Shattenkirk agrees to a long term extension then sure, Krejci makes about $3 million more then Shattenkirk plus is signed longer. Pretty sure that St Louis would need to send another piece to Boston to make the cap work out right.

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Would swapping lehtera for Berglund and maybe adding a lower tier prospect/depth player from Boston still work? Fits Boston needs better, but I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with the blues' depth/availability. The Boston add would largely depend on whether a contract is in place for shattenkirk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Man.....if we swap Berglund for Lehtera, we'd have the most overpaid medicore group of centers lol....

I'm fine with Shattenkirk/Krecji swap....but it's still not my first choice. His contract and age means this move has to pay off soon rather then later

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Man.....if we swap Berglund for Lehtera, we'd have the most overpaid medicore group of centers lol....

I'm fine with Shattenkirk/Krecji swap....but it's still not my first choice. His contract and age means this move has to pay off soon rather then later

Krejci is the 11th highest paid center in the league. He finished the season as the 12th in points for Centers despite missing 10 games, brings more than just offence, and has more often then not been a great playoff performer. His contract ends when he's 34. People need to stop acting like Krejci has an albatross of a contract. If he was a UFA this year he would easily get a 8.25-8.5m 6 year contract from a number of teams. If someone signed him 7.25x5 it would have been lauded as one of the better UFA signings of the summer.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Krejci is the 11th highest paid center in the league. He finished the season as the 12th in points for Centers despite missing 10 games, brings more than just offence, and has more often then not been a great playoff performer. His contract ends when he's 34. People need to stop acting like Krejci has an albatross of a contract. If he was a UFA this year he would easily get a 8.25-8.5m 6 year contract from a number of teams. If someone signed him 7.25x5 it would have been lauded as one of the better UFA signings of the summer.
So he's slightly better then middle of the road, Is that better?

Still almost 20million tied up in 3 centers and none of them elite.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

At least one of them would be closer than the rest. The problem is that the Blues would be paying ~12 million for thier 2nd and 3rd line centers, not that they're paying thier best 1st line C in recent memory 7.25m.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
We escaped our cap problem for a reason, Lehtera does nothing for us and a 1 yr Shatt is not getting you Krejci.

Sorry Blues need a guarantee Shatt resigns at least to start the Krejci talks

Spooner talks okay ..

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Don't think Boston would go for this. Including Lehtera was the rumored reason the trade deadline deal fell through, so I doubt Boston would be interested in mostly the same return at a higher cost on their end (Krejci's value > rental Loui + late first).

If the Bruins were interested in trading Krejci, I think they could probably get a better defenseman than Shattenkirk. People/fans underestimate the effect that the Bruin's style has on player's stats, but I think teams (hopefully including the Bruins themselves) are coming around to understanding that better.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
At least one of them would be closer than the rest. The problem is that the Blues would be paying ~12 million for thier 2nd and 3rd line centers, not that they're paying thier best 1st line C in recent memory 7.25m.

Fair points.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Last year, there were 239 centers who produced anywhere from 1 to 85 points. 14 (=5.88%) produced equal or more points than Krejci, 224 (94.12%) produced same or less than Krejci, who by the way missed 10 games (all centers with more points than Krejci played more games than him, with the exception of Seguin who played the same 72 games as Krejci).
Of those centers who played the whole season (leaving out Malkin & McDavid at 57 and 45 games), using 66 games to include at least Barkov, Krejci has the 9th best points per game. This is not middle of the road to me.

Could you please give me your definition of "middle of the road"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad