Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Blues re-sign Ville Husso and Niko Mikkola to 2-year/1-way contracts

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Niko "Hammer of the Gods" Mikkola. He looked very good filling in for Parayko so hopefully the heir apparent to Bouwmeester continues to get some NHL ice time down the stretch. I'd rather he be in right now over Gunnar or Bortuzzo but vets get the nod so could be a bit before his next NHL games.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
If Husso is going on a 1-way contract does that mean Allen is finally heading out the door?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
In all likelihood, he’s moved this summer. Having a stellar bounceback season though.
If I was Doug I would try to sucker a playoff team with weak goaltending depth (Oilers, Leafs, Vegas) into taking him at the deadline. Could bring a nice draft pick and you wouldn't have to worry about facing him in the playoffs because the guys know where to shoot on him and he can't stop pucks inside Enterprise center.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If I was Doug I would try to sucker a playoff team with weak goaltending depth (Oilers, Leafs, Vegas) into taking him at the deadline. Could bring a nice draft pick and you wouldn't have to worry about facing him in the playoffs because the guys know where to shoot on him and he can't stop pucks inside Enterprise center.

If there's gonna be even a chance of any of those teams trading for Allen, retention/bad salary back will be needed.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
If there's gonna be even a chance of any of those teams trading for Allen, retention/bad salary back will be needed.

while I'm completely aware of the curious case of Jake Allen's hot and cold streaks ....

BUT

He is 4th in the league in GAA and tied for 5th in Save %, hes playing good enough that someone desperate would take a chance on him next year for only 1 year left, I do not think anyone will jump at the deadline but I bet we move him over the summer.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
while I'm completely aware of the curious case of Jake Allen's hot and cold streaks ....

BUT

He is 4th in the league in GAA and tied for 5th in Save %, hes playing good enough that someone desperate would take a chance on him next year for only 1 year left, I do not think anyone will jump at the deadline but I bet we move him over the summer.
I'm not disagreeing with that at all, but the teams that they outlined are all teams that are way up against the cap and cant spend 4+mil on a goalie that would, at best, be their 1B and in the case of 2/3 teams, be an outright backup. My issue was not with Allen being traded somewhere, but with those teams trading for him without somehow getting cap consideration from the Blues.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I'm not disagreeing with that at all, but the teams that they outlined are all teams that are way up against the cap and cant spend 4+mil on a goalie that would, at best, be their 1B and in the case of 2/3 teams, be an outright backup. My issue was not with Allen being traded somewhere, but with those teams trading for him without somehow getting cap consideration from the Blues.

That makes perfect sense I did not think to look at their cap situation.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If Husso is going on a 1-way contract does that mean Allen is finally heading out the door?

It could also be an insurance policy to keep teams from claiming him on waivers next year if they don't move Allen.

Red Wings did the same with Pickard, who got a 1-way for two years even though it was to play as the starter in GR.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Mikkola looks very promising. Should step into our starting defense next year if either Bouw retires or Gunnarsson is traded. I expect one of those 2 to happen.

Husso is still a project but he can at least compete for the backup job if we move Allen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad