Post-Game Talk: STL 4, VAN 1: St. Louis punches our lottery ticket for the SECOND YEAR, IN A ROW!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
And he's clearly the second best D-man on this team which tells you how much work the blue line needs yet.

I wonder how long will take til Trammer Hutts and Stecher surpass Edler just like Tanev did

I wonder also what the trainers will tell those three (Trammer Hutts and Stecher) what they need to work on in the offseason to improve there play for next season

I guess for next year we have that to look fwd to

Horvat progressing
Baertchi too
Trammer Hutts and Stecher
Boeser
Goldy
Demko as backup maybe
New coach
Magna pgoressing (haha just kidding) :laugh:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
And he's clearly the second best D-man on this team which tells you how much work the blue line needs yet.

I've said this a couple times now, but nah.

Edler is playing like a top pairing defenseman this year. Not just for the Canucks, but by the standards of at least 20 teams. That doesn't take into account situations like New Jersey or Detroit where he'd be the number one.

Again, I won't pretend to have watched this game (lol), so maybe he was bad tonight. But a poster's thoughts on Edler generally provide pretty good insight IMO as to whether or not they have a strong grasp of hockey. Him and Tanev are the only two non-Horvat players on the Canucks that a strong team could reasonably play in the same role and still be a contender.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I wonder how long will take til Trammer Hutts and Stecher surpass Edler just like Tanev did

I wonder also what the trainers will tell those three (Trammer Hutts and Stecher) what they need to work on in the offseason to improve there play for next season

Horvat progressing
Baertchi too
Boeser
Goldy
Demko as backup maybe
New coach

If Demko is the backup Jim's going full Benning again with playing rookies for marketting purposes. What's the point of bringing him up here when he's half ready just to get shelled on those rare occasions he gets to play. Next year should be about being the undisputed #1 in Utica playing 50-60 games. He should be used here next year as an injury callup unless Markstrom goes down and they need a starter, in which case maybe you let him have a shot at it.

Hopefully they don't rush Boeser either, if the AHL is the best spot for him, even if only for 3 months adjustment time as a lot of guys his age need they should go down that route.

As for the rest, I agree. Play the crap out of the kids.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What is it with all the offside goals. Just when you think, as pro tanker, you can breathe again b/c the opponent has jumped ahead in the lead the play getsreviewed for off-side. Happened last season in the late season dive for draft position and again this year. Keep yelling at Willie not to contest the call.

Play looked clearly off-side tonight but luckily was allowed. Kinda of knew the Blues were going to score b/c the play was so close at the line.

Really don't know why they reverse goals on off-sides anyway. Often the off sides are too remote from the goals to be factored in and mistakes in officiating are aspect of any game. Slows the game down too much.

Didn't think the game was that one sided. Times when the Blues had us tied up in our zone and had some good chances but the reverse was also true. Better team won but Canucks were definitely in it till late.

Thought the trio of the Sedins and Edler were very good early and controlled the play. Later on started getting bottled up in their end

Some other positives

Boucher blocked a shot. Baby steps.

Line of Boucher - Horvat - Baertschi were dangerous and unfortunate not to score. Baertschi is starting to impress with his passing. Think you can argue that Baertschi has become a bona vide top 6 player

Biega played well on the PK. Otherwise not so much.

Goldobin made some good passes and showed off a quick shot.

Tryamkin stood up for a teammate

Sbisa was better

Negatives

Hutton and Tryamkin were very shaky. Hutton got owned in his end. That combo is our best means to a good lottery pick.

LaBate looked clumsy. Lots of try and kudos for going with Reaves. Not a wise decision but a courageous one. On for lot of goals against however

Goldobin looked a little lost in his end.

Skille went back to being Skille. Whole Sutter line was trapped way too my much in their zone. As was the fourth line.

Other Points

Get an uncomfortable Virtanen vibe when watching Yakopov.

PP looked half decent but again not producing. Both units worked it fairly well. Don't know how Sedin missed that open goal.

Wondering if this loss officially eliminated the team. Must be close.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
What is it with all the offside goals. Just when you think, as pro tanker, you can breathe again b/c the opponent has jumped ahead in the lead the play getsreviewed for off-side. Happened last season in the late season dive for draft position and again this year. Keep yelling at Willie not to contest the call.

Play looked clearly off-side tonight but luckily was allowed. Kinda of knew the Blues were going to score b/c the play was so close at the line.

Really don't know why they reverse goals on off-sides anyway. Often the off sides are too remote from the goals to be factored in and mistakes in officiating are aspect of any game. Slows the game down too much.

Agreed, this offside callback nonsense is completely at odds with the spirit of the rule. Unfortunately the NHL lacks any sort of brains to critically assess the changes they've implemented.

I'm of the mindset that if the play is that ridiculously close at the line, it's close enough that the play should continue. Offside is a rule to make sure players aren't cherry picking in the offensive zone. So long as the puck enters the zone ahead of the player and passes the linesman's eye test, the play should continue and never again be in dispute. So silly.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Agreed, this offside callback nonsense is completely at odds with the spirit of the rule. Unfortunately the NHL lacks any sort of brains to critically assess the changes they've implemented.

I'm of the mindset that if the play is that ridiculously close at the line, it's close enough that the play should continue. Offside is a rule to make sure players aren't cherry picking in the offensive zone. So long as the puck enters the zone ahead of the player and passes the linesman's eye test, the play should continue and never again be in dispute. So silly.

I'd be fine with a hybrid system. The review should be limited to the the offensive player that touches the puck next.

A good example is the Panik Toews offside (apart form the NHL completely screwing it up). In this case Chicago clearly gain no advantage from Toews being offside since Toews is on the opposite side to the puck as it crosses the line, the player carrying it touches it, and Toews then tags up with the neutral zone anyway.

That should not be revieawable. Yeah the linesman missed the original call, but no advantage was gained.Now if Toews was offside and the puck was passed to him, then yeah call it back (ie Duchene).

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Playoff elimination has been a foregone conclusion for some time now. Sucks it's against the Blues. Realizing that even without Backes I still really, really don't like them. But anyway...

Having a very, very hard time remembering a Canucks team with less talent and personality. Part of that is of course the biblical plague that's swept through the team, but the other part is dear holy ****ing ******* is this ever a bad team.

Obviously we're rebuilding. There's literally nothing left to tear down besides goaltending. If Miller were anything less than outstanding this year, we'd be down there with the Avs.

Yeesh.

Maybe I'll start watching baseball or something.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Horvat progressing
Baertchi too
Boeser
Goldy
Demko as backup maybe
New coach

The problem is do they pass because of their own progression or mostly because an aging Edler starts to really regress? No one has an idea at this point other than we know right now this team is a mess (even when healthy) and that includes the blue line. It's a bad team.

For a team about to finish bottom six (or worse) 3 out of past 4 seasons that really isn't a great list. Also no way Demko should be backing up in the NHL next year. He still has stuff to work on and will need at least another AHL season.

Playoff elimination was a foregone conclusion when they opened up camp just as it was last year. It's a poorly constructed team and organization.

Offsides...it's a one sided review and needs to go. You don't get plays back that were blown dead when they shouldn't have been. Linesmen do an amazing job given the speed and number of things they need to look through to find pucks and what not. It was an unnecessary change. The goalie interference I get, offsides review needs to go.

I've said this a couple times now, but nah.

Edler is playing like a top pairing defenseman this year. Not just for the Canucks, but by the standards of at least 20 teams. That doesn't take into account situations like New Jersey or Detroit where he'd be the number one.

I don't disagree too much though I think more production is necessary to really solidify that thought. However, there is a big gap between a #1 and Tanev/Edler and there is an even bigger gap between Tanev/Edler and the rest of the canucks blueline. There is promise on the blueline but we have to be honest and realize that promise can fizzle out at anytime and right now it's just not a high quality blueline. And I think the injured guy makes it better by being injured...

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me, or are the Canucks surely one of the worst teams in the league at executing basic line changes on the fly?.....that play by Tanev on what turned out to be the winning goal....just ridiculous....a stretch pass up the middle with the forwards all changing?

Happens every game....get one or two tired forwards off, can't get the third off....get mismatched d-pairings out there, because one tired guy can't change....then the inevitable happens....they get hemmed in their own zone, and by the third period when Willie shortens his bench anyway, they're out of gas.

I get the fact that the Canucks have a lineup full of holes.....and that it's going to be a struggle most nights, particularly on the road....but I really believe a better coaching staff next season will make a difference in these tight games.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
eE7Zz96.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Strike me down for saying it, but I'm really liking Chaput's game these days.....can't think of a guy on the Canucks who's improved his pace of play and 180-foot game more than him..

Big body, can play center or wing; and was the Memorial Cup MVP for Shawinigan in 2012; and won a Calder Cup with Lake Erie last year....and still only 24.

Appears he has a future in VanCity....really thought in the off-season last year he was little more than a depth signing for Utica and insurance as an injury call-up....hope they can find a way to keep both him and Gaunce in the lineup....both look like late boomers to me, but Gaunce might be attractive to Vegas.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Strike me down for saying it, but I'm really liking Chaput's game these days.....can't think of a guy on the Canucks who's improved his pace of play and 180-foot game more than him..

Big body, can play center or wing; and was the Memorial Cup MVP for Shawinigan in 2012; and won a Calder Cup with Lake Erie last year....and still only 24.

Appears he has a future in VanCity....really thought in the off-season last year he was little more than a depth signing for Utica and insurance as an injury call-up....hope they can find a way to keep both him and Gaunce in the lineup....both look like late boomers to me, but Gaunce might be attractive to Vegas.

Chaput has quietly been decent all year and should be in the 4th line/13th forward mix next year. Unfairly gets lumped in with Megna, who has been fairly ineffective.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Demko is the backup Jim's going full Benning again with playing rookies for marketting purposes. What's the point of bringing him up here when he's half ready just to get shelled on those rare occasions he gets to play. Next year should be about being the undisputed #1 in Utica playing 50-60 games. He should be used here next year as an injury callup unless Markstrom goes down and they need a starter, in which case maybe you let him have a shot at it.

Hopefully they don't rush Boeser either, if the AHL is the best spot for him, even if only for 3 months adjustment time as a lot of guys his age need they should go down that route.

As for the rest, I agree. Play the crap out of the kids.

TO has played the crap out of the kids, and was willing to live with the mistakes..and they look like a playoff team just one year after being the worst team in the entire NHL......but then Mike Babcock doesn't get the "Willies' playing his kids in all situations, and not have them riding the pine after one mistake.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
TO has played the crap out of the kids, and was willing to live with the mistakes..and they look like a playoff team just one year after being the worst team in the entire NHL......but then Mike Babcock doesn't get the "Willies' playing his kids in all situations, and not have them riding the pine after one mistake.

The difference is TO has Marner, Nylander, Reilly and some rookie called Matthews.

Of that calibre, we basically have Horvat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad