The Athletic Stimson: What we’ve learned from the Sabres’ usage of Jack Eichel on the power play this season

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The Power Play has been a discussion topic in multiple threads recently, I thought it could use it's own thread.

Recently Stimson wrote about the PP and captured a bunch of points that seemed interesting

Stimson: What we’ve learned from the Sabres’ usage of Jack Eichel on the power play this season

Among his points:
The Sabres have a good power play. Depending on how you prefer to evaluate power plays, they look good everywhere.
I think the Sabres power play suffers from a lack of a second shooting option, specifically a left-handed shot opposite Eichel.

The most interesting idea was to promote Olofsson as a shooting option opposite Jack.

In the piece he mostly touched on coaching, personnel, and structure. He previously wrote a piece on zone entries, and foreshadowed a piece on O-zone movement coming in the near future.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
No question, we need someone else to qb if we want to use Jack's shot more (Dahlin),

and we BADLY need a real credible threat on the opposite wall (Mitts, possible Olof/Thompson,Free Agent, Draft Pick)

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I blame the PP coach on player utilization and strategy.

Letting Bob Woods go was a travesty, he doesn't have the same personal on Minnesota to replicate what he did in Buffalo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DapperCam

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
under Woods, Eich was running the PP from the point, not the half wall. Reinhart had his rear end in the goalie's face

why did we ever get away from that? Only replacement needed to be Skinner replacing ROR

Reactions: Fearnot

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Replace Okposo with Mitts. I want a lefty in that spot. It’s common sense, and Mitt is a better power play fit than Okposo even without the handedness.

And again, put the kid in a position to succeed where his skills fit and he will have the time to build his confidence offensively.

Reactions: Fearnot

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Why not

Skinner - Reinhart - Mittlestadt

Eichel Dahlin

or

Thompson - Reinhart - Skinner

Eichel Risto

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Skinner, Reinhart, EROD
Eichel, Pilut

Thompson, Mittlestadt, Pominville
Eichel, Dahlin

Yes, I leave Eichel out there for the full 2 minutes. If it is a 4 or a 5 minute PP, Risto replaces Eichel on PP2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad