Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This season's nearly over.

On October 14th. Gross.

IF it takes an average 96 points to make the playoffs (some years it's a few points less, some a touch more, but 96 is a good bet), at a minimum the Devils will need about a .566 to a .592 win percentage from here on out (math below).

Points-theoretical.jpg

Last season there were only 8 teams better than .566, and only 7 better than .592.

So to make the playoffs this year, starting tomorrow the Devils need to be a top-10 NHL squad for the rest of the season.

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
do we think rollie melanson is a guy to look at too?
Absolutely not.

Although I never really thought Terreri should have been fired.

Cory's struggles are injury related and he had his first poor season before Rollie got here. That's what got Terreri fired and Rollie hired in the first place.

Kinkaid had the best year of his NHL career under Rollie, even though he had his worse also.

Blackwood had some poor AHL play during his career in the AHL, so if he's bad here, it's probabl because he isn't very good. He was good last year in the NHL though.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This season's nearly over. On October 14th. Gross.

IF it takes an average 96 points to make the playoffs (some years it's a few points less, some a touch more, but 96 is a good bet), at a minimum the Devils will need about a .567 to a .592 win percentage from here on out (math below).

Points-theoretical.jpg

Last season there were only 8 teams better than .567, and only 7 better than .592.

So to make the playoffs this year, starting tomorrow the Devils need to be a top-10 NHL squad for the rest of the season.

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT.
Yea we're in serious trouble here. You can't afford to drop this far below .500 at any point.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yea we're in serious trouble here. You can't afford to drop this far below .500 at any point.

When this team was 0-4 I said you can stick a mathematical fork in them if they lose the next 3 games for an 0-7 start with 3 points.

A shootout or OT loss to the Rangers & they're there. A regulation loss (LOL) and it's 1 point worse than what I predicted.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't even know what to say. When we sucked in years past it was because we didn't have the horses to run. Now we've got the horses and no jockey. This is horrible. It's gotten to the point where we've been playing for three weeks and I already don't care if I miss the games. That used to take until December/January. I'm disappointed on so many levels.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The Devils made some systemic adjustments that were beneficial based on the first 5 games...then Florida made a small adjustment into the third and the Devils went into scramble mode and couldn’t even sniff the puck again.

If your system is that easy to disrupt then it’s too complicated and too fragile.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
This season's nearly over.

On October 14th. Gross.

IF it takes an average 96 points to make the playoffs (some years it's a few points less, some a touch more, but 96 is a good bet), at a minimum the Devils will need about a .566 to a .592 win percentage from here on out (math below).

Points-theoretical.jpg

Last season there were only 8 teams better than .566, and only 7 better than .592.

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT.
the season is already over because the number 1 thing that had to surprise is goaltending..and it looks like Schneider is what we thought and Blackwood. seems like a backup.. the season is already over. im not saying this because im pissed off... but because you can look at the players and defense and how this team is put together and then give it one of the worst 1-2 goalie tandems in the league and your season is over.. this bad start probably does us a favor by not masking a bad team

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
They still haven’t scored a PP goal and the PK is still awful.

That’s all coaching.

I honestly don’t even know what to say about the special teams. They’re so atrocious that they defy logic. What’s crazy though is that they’re so bad to the point that they should easily be the most infuriating aspect of their game by a country mile. Sadly though, it feels like it’s just one of the countless other problems they have. Absolutely nothing is working.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I don't even know what to say. When we sucked in years past it was because we didn't have the horses to run. Now we've got the horses and no jockey. This is horrible. It's gotten to the point where we've been playing for three weeks and I already don't care if I miss the games. That used to take until December/January. I'm disappointed on so many levels.

everyone keeps saying we have the horses... do we? our best defenseman is a 36 year 5-10 guys. our second best defenseman..Vatenan.. is 5-10 turnover machines.. our third best defenseman is good size but a turnover machine.. and our 4th best defenseman #28 can't play defense very well.. oh and we have below NHL average goaltending ( at best) yeah we got some guys that can go around cones really good. give Bastian over GUSEV any day of the week

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The Devils made some systemic adjustments that were beneficial based on the first 5 games...then Florida made a small adjustment into the third and the Devils went into scramble mode and couldn’t even sniff the puck again.

If your system is that easy to disrupt then it’s too complicated and too fragile.

Or nonexistent

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I honestly don’t even know what to say about the special teams. They’re so atrocious that they defy logic. What’s crazy though is that they’re so bad to the point that they should easily be the most infuriating aspect of their game by a country mile. Sadly though, it feels like it’s just one of the countless other problems they have. Absolutely nothing is working.

good point even getting one thing fixed still leaves tons of holes in the team.. the team is dysfunctional now... very much like the Maclean start where it takes weeks and a new coaching staff to even recover... Shero will be doing the fans, and the owners alike if he isn't proactive with his approach to this team in the really really really near future.. like Hynes you need a streak where this team wins 4 out of 5 or you're gone... problem is there is no way in hell this team is structured for that

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Or nonexistent

but it’s not non-existent, it’s just bad.

i can predict what a player is going to do in response to what is happening in the defensive zone, so there is a system they follow. It’s just bad and constantly puts players in a bad spot where they can’t win.

the breakout is the same way. I can tell you what they’ll do, it’s just wrong and won’t be helpful.

so to me it’s the coach and his vision, it’s bad and the players are saying it’s their fault but it’s not fully. The coaches job is to put players in good situations and then the players succeed. The devils coach constantly puts the players in bad situations and then can’t understand how they fail.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How was Boqvist in this one?

Well considering he took the four minute major penalty that sealed the game he's likely not playing another game under Hynes

(since we're likely to have a coaching change in the next game or two)

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Well considering he took the four minute major penalty that sealed the game he's likely not playing another game under Hynes

(since we're likely to have a coaching change in the next game or two)

game should not have even been in contention bovquist played fine.. sit gusev.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Cory's quote sounds like willful disobedience because they no longer buy what Hynes is selling

Could be the players have tuned this staff out once and for all, no faith in the coach or themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->