OT: Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Unless there's a team out there that thinks Kovalchuk puts them over the top next year, what negotiating power does Shero really have for a sign and trade that benefits the Devils other than getting a body in return?

There's a handful that just cleaned out their lockers for the year! Shero allows Kovy to come back this year which is significant because:
1. 78 pt season for kovy
2. 35+ contract: salary and bonuses continue to count against the team salary cap, regardless of where and whether or not that player is playing.
2. 34 this year, and people are crying he's too old, add another year and a down season in the K

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Denis malgin is a good option from Florida too. 19-20 year old season last year and 12 points in 15 games in the AHL and is a right shot that can play both wing and center. Plus if the Devils draft Hischier he would have a country-mate to help him ease in.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm just trying to think what Florida could realistically give us that we want and isn't scrubby mcscrubface if this Kovy/Florida thing is valid whatsoever

Bjugstad if they're looking to shed his deal.

Malgin is interesting, but Florida is short on prospects as well, doubtful they trade him. Same goes for Matheson.

Petrovic/Pysyk could he options but both are RD and we're just going to create a logjam by adding them. I don't see them as better prospects than Santini.

Other than that they don't have much in the way of prospects. Hawlyruk is probably the only one and he's a good but not great prospsect. Think we'd get better offers from other team.

The real prize from Florida, in my opinion, would be Bjugstad as he is likely the only guy available with decent value and some upside at a position of need.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Denis malgin is a good option from Florida too. 19-20 year old season last year and 12 points in 15 games in the AHL and is a right shot that can play both wing and center. Plus if the Devils draft Hischier he would have a country-mate to help him ease in.

Yes, Malgin is a very good young player.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I know it's extremely unlikely, but watching this Canada vs Switzerland game I would love to snag Point from TB for Kovy. That kid is so good.

Maybe if we took Callahan's contract?? haha

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I know it's extremely unlikely, but watching this Canada vs Switzerland game I would love to snag Point from TB for Kovy. That kid is so good.

If we ate Callahan's contract, I wouldn't settle for anything less than Drouin.

Unlike what others here may though though, I DO, however, think he'd be a serviceable RW on this team if he comes back healthy.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

Unlike what others here may though though, I DO, however, think he'd be a serviceable RW on this team if he comes back healthy.

I wouldn't mind him just for his leadership alone. He'd be a good mentor for the younger kids.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'd take #14 for him.

If we can get Callahan for merely swapping #14 and #38, I could get behind that. Doubt Tampa gives up on him as they need him as well and have cleared out the necessary room cap-wise.

I do think he could be a serviceable RW that flips back between the second and third lines.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
taking on callahan's contract to move up 24 spots? No thanks. it would have to be something much smaller coming from the Devils for that to make sense imo

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
What do you thonk Florida is willing to trade for him?

I think Bjugstad and 2nd Rd pick has to be in play. If all NJ got was draft picks (say 2nd and 3rd or 2nd plus 4th Fla would do that too -see Jagr deal to you guys). I really think Bjugstad needs fresh start and is better suited playing 2C where he will not in Florida long term. He's not good fit at 3C at all.

They could move Petrovic/Pysyk plus a pick but that would depend on IF Vegas did not take one of them in the expansion. I could see losing ONE of those RHD ...not both however. Remember how vital RHD are, look no further than your guys deal with EDM last offseason. I personally don't want to lose Petrovic (physical force FLA desperately needs while Pysyk is adv stats darling in front office in Fla).

Prospect wise I'd prefer not to go that route. To me : Hawrylyk, Malgin, Mascherin, Borgstrom (untouchable almost) and even McCoshen should not be moved in Kovy deal. If NJ is stuck on one of those names over Bjugstad/draft pick...Id likely move on from the offer. Florida can offer one of best deals player or pick wise.

Oh I almost forgot... Demers and 2nd Rd pick all day to you guys. I hate that bum lol.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Mentioning Point makes me nauseous. One of Conte's parting gifts was a useless Connor Chatham (he could be the next Milan Lucic) instead of a guy who did nothing but put up points his entire career.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I'd take #14 for him.

If we can get Callahan for merely swapping #14 and #38, I could get behind that. Doubt Tampa gives up on him as they need him as well and have cleared out the necessary room cap-wise.

I do think he could be a serviceable RW that flips back between the second and third lines.

Its going to cost TB more than that to eat almost $18M. Its more than cap hit. That's real money that has to be paid and its 3 years of almost $6M spoken for cap space. Its one thing if its only cap space like Datsyuk's who was only one year for Arizona. Arizona didnt have to pay Datsyuk anything.

Cap relief and actual salary of that magnitude in conference costs. Swapping draft picks to move up isn't worth that. That's worth the #14 by itself or a round per year of hit i.e. Callahan and the #14 for a 3rd or a 4th. I don't think Tampa does that when ELCs are particularly valuable to them going forward.

I don't think Callahan is negative value, but he's also no guarantee to even be viable going forward. Its a big risk and high cost financially for nothing more than a wing and a prayer that the #14 turns out to be a good player.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think Bjugstad and 2nd Rd pick has to be in play. If all NJ got was draft picks (say 2nd and 3rd or 2nd plus 4th Fla would do that too -see Jagr deal to you guys). I really think Bjugstad needs fresh start and is better suited playing 2C where he will not in Florida long term. He's not good fit at 3C at all.

They could move Petrovic/Pysyk plus a pick but that would depend on IF Vegas did not take one of them in the expansion. I could see losing ONE of those RHD ...not both however. Remember how vital RHD are, look no further than your guys deal with EDM last offseason. I personally don't want to lose Petrovic (physical force FLA desperately needs while Pysyk is adv stats darling in front office in Fla).

Bjugstad would likely get a long long alongside Hall if the Devils acquired him. Basically would be given every opportunity in a top six spot. If he could push one of Zajac or Henrique to the third line, Devils would be solid.

Its going to cost TB more than that to eat almost $18M. Its more than cap hit. That's real money that has to be paid and its 3 years of almost $6M spoken for cap space. Its one thing if its only cap space like Datsyuk's who was only one year for Arizona. Arizona didnt have to pay Datsyuk anything.

Cap relief and actual salary of that magnitude in conference costs. Swapping draft picks to move up isn't worth that. That's worth the #14 by itself or a round per year of hit i.e. Callahan and the #14 for a 3rd or a 4th. I don't think Tampa does that when ELCs are particularly valuable to them going forward.

I don't think Callahan is negative value, but he's also no guarantee to even be viable going forward. Its a big risk and high cost financially for nothing more than a wing and a prayer that the #14 turns out to be a good player.

Callahan isn't a complete cap dump though. He's still a serviceable player who is worth 3-4 million for his AAV if he puts up 30-40 points. Plus, I would love him on the Devils for the way he plays and his leadership, we and a lot of other teams could definitely use that.

He's also on the tail end of his deal so he's making 6.5 million this year, but 4.7 the two years after that with a 5.8 cap hit. Because of that, it would make a lot more sense for the Lightning to wait a year, let him hopefully rebound, and then trade him if they need the cap room. They don't have to trade him this year either.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What pkg would need to be added to get Trocheck and Matheson? Yes I know its a tall ask, that's what I'm doing asking

Devils aren't getting either unless they are really regretting whats going to Florida.

Trocheck isn't a player you trade unless you're getting a severe overpayment and Matheson is their only good young LD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad