Still happy we got Trouba instead of Forsberg

Still happy we got Trouba instead of Forsberg?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
So, maybe we sign Jacob Trouba long term, maybe we trade him for something cool. However, using hindsight, do you think our team made the right decision drafting Trouba instead of Filip Forsberg (who was taken two picks later)? I recall on draft day that a lot folks were saying "take Forsberg".

So, on one hand you have a first pairing defensemen with both physical and offensive upside who theoretically has yet to reach his full potential. On the other side you have a dynamic game-breaking forward who was just under a point per game and is a consistent 30-plus goal scorer.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'd have to know more about Forsberg's personality, but assuming he's a team player willing to play where and when the team needs him rather than holding out demanding to be played on his preferred side, and given the very reasonable contract he signed versus Trouba's demands, I say Forsberg is the player I'd rather have.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd have to know more about Forsberg's personality, but assuming he's a team player willing to play where and when the team needs him rather than holding out demanding to be played on his preferred side, and given the very reasonable contract he signed versus Trouba's demands, I say Forsberg is the player I'd rather have.
Well on Yahoo Fantasy he was C/LW/RW for a while :laugh:

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
The Jets wouldn't have gone wrong either way. I certainly don't begrudge Trouba's holdout a couple of years ago. If I was stuck playing on my off-side with Mark Stuart at my job I'd probably let my boss know that this is bull****... :laugh:

He wasn’t playing on the left side with Stuart.

If you’re going to take a shot at Stuart at least get your facts straight.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg

Not to mention his choice of agent!

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Also, we have no idea whose name was next on Jet’s list for that draft. I am fine with Troobs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes I am happy because we have more than enough scoring wingers that Forsberg while an elite player is sortive redundant here.

Trouba plays a position and a role that has more value for us.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Trouba plays a position and a role that has more value for us.

I agree in principle but he’s of zero value to us while holding out (should he do so again) and he also does not fill the position and role if he wants out and refuses to sign. While we might get value on a trade I doubt we’d get a comparable player.

Granted he filled the role for a time. But on balance I’d rather have Forsberg for the reasons cited.

I’m still not convinced he wants to play in Winnipeg. I’m DEFINITELY not convinced he’ll sign for a reasonable let alone team friendly contract.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
how would Trouba have done on Nashville? What a top 4/6 they would have had.
Forsberg was drafted by Washington, so that is assuming the exact change in draft positions and that Washington would have made the same bad trade with a RHD as a winger which isn't necessarily the case. Those are 2 pretty big assumptions. Interestingly, each plays for an organization that has a bigger need for the player they have. The Jets got high end winger depth up the *** and Nashville has an unbelievable riches on defense. I think both organizations are happy with the player they have.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If that draft is taken over today, Trouba goes higher than any of those drafted higher than him. Trouba vs. Forsberg?
Trouba...all day every day.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him wearing an "A" one day....kinda expect it.
Scheif "C"
Trouba "A"
Lowry "A"

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He wasn’t playing on the left side with Stuart.

If you’re going to take a shot at Stuart at least get your facts straight.
I don't think the fact that Stuart was a terrible defenseman is dependent on whether Trouba was playing on his off-side with him or not. I mean, Stu was so bad that even the Jets bought him out! :laugh:

And is Trouba's complaint less valid if it changes to "playing on his off-side OR with Mark Stuart"?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I was in the camp to take Forsberg in 2012 & was shocked he was still available. Take that with a grain of salt as I was only beginning to get my hockey chops back at the time. I'd turned my back on the NHL until the Jets returned & was a total newb at this point.

With that said, Trouba immediately warmed on everyone & his strong play over the next 2 years in college, the world juniors and the NHL had many pundits redrafts with Trouba as their consensus #1.

That has subsequently changed as many of Trouba's draft class like Forsberg & Matt Murray have increased dramatically to the point where Trouba's net value relative to the rest of his 2012 peers has slipped. This isn't to suggest Trouba's has stagnated, rather others have raised the bar. Any redraft would still have Trouba drafted higher than #9 & we were fortunate he was selected.

Let's remember Forsberg wasn't always that highly regarded. Washington, who drafted him, let him go in one of the most lopsided deals in NHL history. The return on the deal was totally "Erational" & whole "Latta" nothing.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
If that draft is taken over today, Trouba goes higher than any of those drafted higher than him. Trouba vs. Forsberg?
Trouba...all day every day.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him wearing an "A" one day....kinda expect it.
Scheif "C"
Trouba "A"
Lowry "A"

I would actually be pretty surprised if he ever wears the "A". I really like Trouba but I don't feel leadership coming from him but I am not in the locker room so perhaps you are right.

Schief "C" - no doubt
Lowry "A" - very likely
JoMo "A" I would think this instead

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

D over winger, especially left winger.

If we end up needing to trade Trouba we will get more back than Forsberg, IMO. If he signs long term all the drama will be over. How much of that crap have we had since he signed his current contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad