Post-Game Talk: Still a joke, no playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You just know upper management will push the "meaningful games in April" narrative though that had far more to do with the West's incompetence than anything else.

Man that stretch where they won like 7 games in 25 was a killer.

Reactions: EagerPug

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
You just know upper management will push the "meaningful games in April" narrative though that had far more to do with the West's incompetence than anything else.

Haha.. Ya

"They were really clicking as a team!"*

*All the while ignoring the reality that they haven't beat a team in a playoff spot since December

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When the tv camera is pointed in the Oilers d-zone when the play is down there, all 5 guys can be seen in the picture.

In other words, everyone is playing defense and no one has flown the zone.

Exactly.

I'm going to do something atypical as well for second game in a row. Praise Lucic. He was one of the better ozone players all night and was using his body and strength to force a lot of pucks out, made some plays, and appears to like Gagners jump and energy (he got the Gagner assist the game before on a very nice play)

There was a message sent as well in this one. A complete line was benched. Khaira, Brodz, Rieder. Ouch. But all have been extremely disappointing. That the Oilers look better with guys like Malone inserted into the lineup occasionally should serve notice to all those guys. Its NHL lands end potentially for all of them. Khaira particularly, who has often been stubborn to the concept of being consistent is watching his NHL career potentially dry up. Nobody else would have this player. He hasn't done enough to merit looks. If the Oilers close the book its done. I have a bad feeling that Khaira looks at other efforts on this club and thinks its acceptable to dog it half the games. He consistently forgets that a borderline NHL player can't do that. really disappointed not to see more absolute passion to stay on the team from this player. That has to be shown, and seen, almost every game. These latest scratches (and this has happened before) may not even be another warning. Is he even in the clubs plans next season?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Worst ones of all time 1) Hall for Larsson - not a sexy trade 2) Barzal and Beauvillier for Reinhart - NHL ready with top 4 potential 3) 13.5 3 years for Koskinen - all management agreed he’s our #1 going forward. I need a trash can to puke In

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just my take. Jessica Kent seems like a nice person that probably doesn't deserve the scorn and ridicule being seen in the thread. Just saying. We all have our takes.

Next, Jessica is a paid shill. I'm not insulting with that. She's a young kid with a good job, that does well in her presentations, is enthusiastic, and is running the same party line that Stauffer, Principe, Quinn, would. The difference being she is young, has a good job, and those are harder to find for young people. There is no way I'm going to blame Jessica Kent for sticking to the script. She wants a job. So she manufactures the positivity perspective required by the org. She does it well.

Don't shoot the messenger. Nothing is her fault.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm actually pretty happy that Connor expressed his frustrations finally. Put more pressure on Katz and management to fix this ****.

I doubt it phases Katz at all.

"I wonder if I make him personally thank me again, it'll make things better for the tea....oh look, a 20 year old instagram model." *Gets out checkbook marked 'Settlements'*

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It's creeping up here, but from my 18-30 year old years, I might only get to see the Oilers in the play-offs once. I'm sure many of your share that sentiment. This blows.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If the Oilers don't like someone in the media they'll get rid of them. I think Ferraro got in trouble years ago for being too critical when he was the colour guy on Sportsnet.

Thank god. Didn't like his constant favoring of players (hey I do it but not in a paid capacity, nobody has to read my stuff,) but when we watch a game we have little choice other than to hear the inanity.

Anyway an excuse to repost my favorite Ray Ferraro meme. I never tire of this one and it always seems to apply.

rayferraroalertchart.jpg

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Just my take. Jessica Kent seems like a nice person that probably doesn't deserve the scorn and ridicule being seen in the thread. Just saying. We all have our takes.

Next, Jessica is a paid shill. I'm not insulting with that. She's a young kid with a good job, that does well in her presentations, is enthusiastic, and is running the same party line that Stauffer, Principe, Quinn, would. The difference being she is young, has a good job, and those are harder to find for young people. There is no way I'm going to blame Jessica Kent for sticking to the script. She wants a job. So she manufactures the positivity perspective required by the org. She does it well.

Don't shoot the messenger. Nothing is her fault.
I agree with everything except that line. She does not do player interviews well. Often times she asks odd, overly cliche questions. Stuff like "do you think it's important to win the next game?" Or "how big was it for your team to win that game?" You can often see players pause for a second and think "did you really ask me that?". I watch most of the post game interviews. I see it a lot.

She is good at hosting different segments though.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I don't care about the Oilers teams from 2012 or 2008. To me they have little to no relevance to the team that is here and now in 2019.

Chia was awful but the people who brought him in should be held accountable and not be allowed to pick the next Gm. I don't want anything to do with any executives from anyone of the last decade plus, build a new org.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Welp.. from Friedman's latest:

2. There will be a lot written and said about this. Personally, I don’t think McDavid is looking to leave the Alberta capital. But I suspect the Oilers know they have to get his right. He’s giving them this opportunity to show they can right the ship. If this choice goes badly, they’ve got a serious problem.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Also "look how good Bakersfield is doing, out player development staff is doing such a great job"

IMO: That's all on Woodcroft and his day to day team, MacT and Howson still are awful.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You correctly pointed out some of the very good leaders we've had on this team (not sure about Smyth, Geurin was probably more important back then... but anyway)...

My take is that 1) we don't have the supporting horses, but also 2) we don't yet have the mature leadership to make this team a winner, and thus the supporting horses we do have don't play to their potential.

You mentioned, Messier, Weight, Pronger... if you made a mistake when they were on the team, you'd know about it. They took responsibility for their own mistakes AND they expected the same from their teammates.

I have every confidence in McDavid and Draisaitl to be the leaders of this team... but (for a variety of understandable reasons) I don't think they are there yet. Once they take full control of this team and have a bit more support around them watch out... the scrubs we see here now around them will actually start to play smarter hockey too... it is coming.

Are you f***ing Kidding me?

This is an epic pile of bull shit right here.

"Lets get Andrew Ferrence, and some solid role models like Matt Henderson, Mark Letestu, and Milan Lucic. Lets get guys who have won before, and knows what it takes to win to infuse some of that winning cultire to this team".

f*** that noise. They need good NHL players.
They need more than half a roster of good NHL players.

Reactions: Beerfish

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It's creeping up here, but from my 18-30 year old years, I might only get to see the Oilers in the play-offs once. I'm sure many of your share that sentiment. This blows.

Bro I went from 26 to almost 40 now and 1 playoffs....I didnt even get to properly party through my prime years because these f***face failures wasted em away

Now they are waisting away The most talented player to ever lace up a pair of skates.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Bro I went from 26 to almost 40 now and 1 playoffs....I didnt even get to properly party through my prime years because these ****face failures wasted em away

Now they are waisting away The most talented player to ever lace up a pair of skates.
Right? I'm right there with you. The prime years to cheer for a team and not feel it for the following 2-3 days is f***ing over. We should be allowed to throw all of our empty beer cans that we drank during the play-off months these last few seasons at Chia's bald f***ing head.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This is fair comment by Elliotte.

McDavid will give the team a chance to fix this. They are not that far away.

The goaltending needs work.
So what do these idiots do ?...Sign Koskinen to 3 years at 4.5 million. Goaltending solved. These guys are clowns. Absolute embarrassment.

What's ticks me off are the pom pom waving nutjobs constantly getting the Go Oilers Go chants in the arena going when the organization is an abject failure. Chants should be to embarrass the organization, not to cheer for an absolute horseshit product on the ice. Cheer for 97 and 29 and that's it. The rest can gtfo.

Bob Nicholson is an old washed up hermit being given reigns to run a professional hockey team trying to make the playoffs and win a cup in TBD modern era. Wtf man. Are you kidding me ? Does this guy know what an offside is let alone trying to hire proper GMs ? Does this idiot live and breath hockey ? f*** no. He is a suit who has old boy connections to hang around and collect paycheques.

Every day we all get on HF and argue with each other about the Oilers and we want one thing, to cheer for a winning team and to have a person who lives and breathes hockey leading it.... this is a disgrace. The look on 97s face after that last interview was painful to watch. We are turning the greatest player in the last 2 decades into a walking joke. This is how bad this has become.

f*** you Bob Nicholson
f*** you Katz
f*** you McTavish
f*** you Bob Green
f*** you Howson
And f*** you Goaltending coach

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Are you ****ing Kidding me?

This is an epic pile of bull **** right here.

"Lets get Andrew Ferrence, and some solid role models like Matt Henderson, Mark Letestu, and Milan Lucic. Lets get guys who have won before, and knows what it takes to win to infuse some of that winning cultire to this team".

**** that noise. They need good NHL players.
They need more than half a roster of good NHL players.

Major over-reaction dude. You clearly missed the part where I said we needed more good players... Nowhere did I advocate for Ference or role models who can't play, or any of that. That was not my point. You invented that part.

I want McD and Drai to be the leaders of this team (and they are clearly)... but I also think it is fair for them to up the ante and expect more (and hold accountable) from the other guys around them.

We are preciously short on talent, no denying that. But we often lost games because guys failed to chip the puck out, failed to pick up a man in the slot, lost the puck at the blue line instead of dumping it in. Fundamentals stuff that is not acceptable from anybody, but even less so when you are a role-player that's supposed to be "safe" at all of those things.

It's one thing to tune out Hitch or McLellan... much tougher to tune out a teammate you respect fully.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Major over-reaction dude. You clearly missed the part where I said we needed more good players... Nowhere did I advocate for Ference or role models who can't play, or any of that. That was not my point. You invented that part.

I want McD and Drai to be the leaders of this team (and they are clearly)... but I also think it is fair for them to up the ante and expect more (and hold accountable) from the other guys around them.

We are preciously short on talent, no denying that. But we often lost games because guys failed to chip the puck out, failed to pick up a man in the slot, lost the puck at the blue line instead of dumping it in. Fundamentals stuff that is not acceptable from anybody, but even less so when you are a role-player that's supposed to be "safe" at all of those things.

It's one thing to tune out Hitch or McLellan... much tougher to tune out a teammate you respect fully.
Toews is considered one of the best leaders of the past decade. So is Kopitar. Between them they have 5 cups.

They are also on horrible teams with not enough talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad