Post-Game Talk: Still a joke, no playoffs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We’re really doing it. We were handed a franchise player, we grabbed arguably the best player in his draft in Leon Draisaitl, and we’ve managed to f*** things up so badly that Connor looks dejected and defeated.

I hope Katz was watching every second of Connor’s postgame. He’s fresh out of chances to prop up his little buddies in cushy management roles and get their wives book deals. Get it f***ing right this time. No exceptions, no excuses, no passing on candidates because they want to make too many changes and can the bunch of sad sacks that have been suckling at your teat for 15 years. Time to run your business like a goddamn business, with consequences when people don’t do a good enough job.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
We’re really doing it. We were handed a franchise player, we grabbed arguably the best player in his draft in Leon Draisaitl, and we’ve managed to **** things up so badly that Connor looks dejected and defeated.

I hope Katz was watching every second of Connor’s postgame. He’s fresh out of chances to prop up his little buddies in cushy management roles and get their wives book deals. Get it ****ing right this time. No exceptions, no excuses, no passing on candidates because they want to make too many changes and can the bunch of sad sacks that have been suckling at your teat for 15 years. Time to run your business like a goddamn business, with consequences when people don’t do a good enough job.
Katz to Bobby: “Hey Burgers, I’m hearing that Connor is pretty dejected and pissed about the season”
Bobby: “Those reporters are just drunk. Connor is elated and proud to be an Oiler!”
Katz: “Great! Thanks Burgers!”

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He is the worst by far.

None of the other GMs had Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl to work with.

He's the worst GM in the history of this franchise and it came at the worst possible time and the result of his hire could have consequences that are devastating.

At least when Mac T or Tamebellini ****ed up we'd just get another high draft pick and move on. That doesn't work the same way anymore.

I think he may well be the worst thing to ever happen to the Oilers franchise. Worse than the Gretzky trade.

He took a situation that could have been great and maybe sewered it and now we're stuck in a very awkward spot with what do you do now.

Forget the Oilers, IMO this is one of probably the top 5 worst cases of mismanagement in the history of the NHL, maybe in the history of North American pro sports.
cool, get over it....what's done is done
you telling us about it in every other thread doesn't unchanged anything

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This should be repeated in every thread. It’s so true.

I can't get behind this. The fans are the last people who deserve THIS team.

Those of us, and yes I was one of those, who supported Chia supported him because the team had one of its best seasons in decades (since before I started following the team in the late 90s) so I don't think it's fair to state that the fans who supported him at the time deserve a loser franchise because of what followed after that season. Why are fans getting shit for supporting a GM after a wildly successful season?
Personally, I stopped supporting him during last season after he did absolutely nothing to compensate for the Sekera injury or get any help up front. In retrospect, I probably supported him for too long but I gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping that some of his players would bounce back from poor performances but it just got worse and worse.

You know which fans I think deserve this team on some level? The fans who crap all over useful players who are having a tough stretch as if they have always been useless garbage (Nuge, Larsson and Nurse to name a few). I'd also add Drai (yes, Drai who was getting mercilessly criticized early in the season) and add Klefbom to that list or as some people like to call him, Klefdum. :shakehead
These guys all have some warts and deserve some criticism of varying levels but some of the vitriol directed at these guys by some people has been way over the top.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
If McDavid doesn’t ask for a trade as soon as the team hires a GM, I’ll be a little surprised. I think he’s done.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just for the record

The Taylor Hall trade was bad

In all honesty, the first year after the trade, most people on this board preferred Larsson over Hall. Hall definitely had a great year last year, no question about that. Larsson has been bad this year but Hall has basically done nothing either.

The trade sucked, no doubt about it but I am not sure we are that much worse off today because of the trade. Its just the whole combination of bad decisions, that has really screwed this team. So many bad decisions.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Lot of pressure on Katzenburger Group to get this one right. Or we're all f***ed.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If McDavid doesn’t ask for a trade as soon as the team hires a GM, I’ll be a little surprised. I think he’s done.
This stuff is crap.
McDavid got 100 million dollars to play for 8 years. Moving is not on his mind. Winning maybe.

Wants to leave, I seriously doubt it.

Hes played enough hockey to know winning isn't easy.

Reactions: thegr8one66

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Lot of pressure on Katzenburger Group to get this one right. Or we're all ****ed.

We're not. They are. If McDavid goes, so too does the fanbase.

If they can't win with McDavid and Drai, who can they win with?! Why would we bother?!

We were done as a fanbase until McDavid saved us miraculously... and they've just done us dirtier ever since.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The organization from top to bottom are morons from the owner to management to the radio (Stauffer and Michaels, I like Rob Brown) and TV crews (Quinn, Remenda and Principe, Louie is ok) to their panels, to the media (Jones and Matheson) even Hunter sticks out as a particularly stupid mascot. Not to mention, the awful orange colors they switched to. It's a cesspool from top to bottom, a big fail at all levels.

Its just annoying in general. The media on this team is so stupid.

I'll be honest, Remenda annoys me because when the Oilers were/are playing well, he was so critical of them. Not to mention all the gushing about other teams players. I dont mind him when hes being critical when they arent playing well.

On the other hand, you have all these media people who are trying to be overly positive when things are going bad (Principe, Kent, etc), and it just comes across as a clownish.

I dont know why we cant just have real commentary and analysis to complement the situation. Be positive when things are going well, give constructive criticism when things are going poorly, but be professional. Its just ridiculous in my opinion.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
This is also the team he wanted and it's the team he would've built no matter what. This is his philosophy of team building and it has been from before he got here it just wasn't as noticeable in Boston because he was gifted greater depth and a bonafied Norris-caliber D from day 1 there.

However you rationalize it the fact is he decided at some point that Blake Wheeler, Phil Kessel, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, shouldn't be on his hockey team.

I don't care about the Oilers teams from 2012 or 2008. To me they have little to no relevance to the team that is here and now in 2019.
Yes because players drafted from 2008-2012 aren’t contributing to their franchises right now.

Reactions: TB12

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Embrace the anger Connor..

Tough to see McDavid being frustrated like this.

I just hope that ownership doesnt take his quote as being that hes tired of seeing coaches/gm fired and he thinks the team would be better off not making too much change.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Good. This joke of an organization doesn't deserve a player of that calibre. And I would hate to see him waste his years here and have no cups so show for it. Wherever he goes I hope he finds success as he truly deserves it after the shit he's had to put up with.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
nah, I think he wants to be part of the solution...he doesn't strike me a as guy to gives up on a situation

having said that, if there's no progress by this time next year, look out...

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This stuff is crap.
McDavid got 100 million dollars to play for 8 years. Moving is not on his mind. Winning maybe.

Wants to leave, I seriously doubt it.

Hes played enough hockey to know winning isn't easy.

Sure. I get it. Lets hope it stays like that.

I was a kid when we won our first cup, and it was a neighbourhood/generational bonding for me. I spent my childhood growing up in a really ethnically diverse Mill Woods, but all the people of colour would play hockey on the streets, be over at our neighbours house watching the games. High fiving everyone after cup wins. I was hooked as a fan from the age of 5.

I supported the team post-Gretzky, and I supported the team post-messier. I supported the team when Pocklington was amidst scandal after scandal, and nearly sold the Oilers to Houston. I was there on draft day, buying jerseys with my minimum wage restaurant jobs, bought tickets when I could and even across 3 moves, I supported the Oilers watching them any chance I could. Supported the Post-Weight era, and the post-lockout. I was here for all 12 years of this godforsaken rebuild.

But at this point, it feels like supporting the Oilers is supporting the OBC. And I LOATHE the OBC. You can try to convince me otherwise, but I doubt it. Supporting the Oilers, is supporting Lowe, Howson, McTavish, and their cronies.

If for whatever reason McDavid leaves this organization, my allegiance is going with him. I'm not going to stick around and support the aftermath these incompetent tards are gonna be left with.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I can't get behind this. The fans are the last people who deserve THIS team.

Those of us, and yes I was one of those, who supported Chia supported him because the team had one of its best seasons in decades (since before I started following the team in the late 90s) so I don't think it's fair to state that the fans who supported him at the time deserve a loser franchise because of what followed after that season. Why are fans getting **** for supporting a GM after a wildly successful season?
Personally, I stopped supporting him during last season after he did absolutely nothing to compensate for the Sekera injury or get any help up front. In retrospect, I probably supported him for too long but I gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping that some of his players would bounce back from poor performances but it just got worse and worse.

You know which fans I think deserve this team on some level? The fans who crap all over useful players who are having a tough stretch as if they have always been useless garbage (Nuge, Larsson and Nurse to name a few). I'd also add Drai (yes, Drai who was getting mercilessly criticized early in the season) and add Klefbom to that list or as some people like to call him, Klefdum. :shakehead
These guys all have some warts and deserve some criticism of varying levels but some of the vitriol directed at these guys by some people has been way over the top.
I'm a little guilty of this when it comes to Nurse (give him more hate than he really deserves, his defensive game drives me nuts), but I agree entirely. Like the people who shit on Nuge as being garbage, not worth anything, get him out fast. Guy is close to 70 points, kids good, never complained and has been a good Oiler.

The shutting on Larsson doesn't sit well with me most of all. Guy lost his Dad last year, the man who helped him thru the rough patch of his game and motivated him out of it. Like shit, guy hits a rough patch and the first thing that goes thru his mind is his dad. Larsson sure had had a rough year but shutting on the guy like he has always sucked (him and Klefbom were amazing our playoff year and we're an actual NHL top pairing then) is ridiculous.

I'd also add to it throwing shit on a player for things out of their control, like who they were traded for and where in the lineup they play. Like shitting on a 4th liner calling them garbage when they are thrown on a top line.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I’ve been an Oiler fan since they joined the league, born and raised in Edmonton and STH for 31 years. 80’s May have spoiled us fans but we’ve more than had our share of misery since then. The day we traded Messier was the day we traded the soul of this team. With no soul this franchise has been left twisting in the wind. Some would say I’m going too far back in time on this but I’ve watched this team for 40 years now. Slats had us on life support until he left for Manhattan and it’s been down hill since he bailed. Sure we had the Weight, Smyth and Cujo years but we were never a serious threat, after that Pronger brought us some hope but he bailed too. We then went the Hall and Eberle route and that chapter closed. Now it’s Connor and Leon, how long before these guys want out? Connor’s latest interview shows his frustration is at an all time high, this is understandable at this point, next season will be his 5th in the league and what does he have around him? Leon, that’s it, that’s all, what an abomination this management has been since Slats walked. 19 years and counting.

You correctly pointed out some of the very good leaders we've had on this team (not sure about Smyth, Geurin was probably more important back then... but anyway)...

My take is that 1) we don't have the supporting horses, but also 2) we don't yet have the mature leadership to make this team a winner, and thus the supporting horses we do have don't play to their potential.

You mentioned, Messier, Weight, Pronger... if you made a mistake when they were on the team, you'd know about it. They took responsibility for their own mistakes AND they expected the same from their teammates.

I have every confidence in McDavid and Draisaitl to be the leaders of this team... but (for a variety of understandable reasons) I don't think they are there yet. Once they take full control of this team and have a bit more support around them watch out... the scrubs we see here now around them will actually start to play smarter hockey too... it is coming.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He should keep the C, but they could definitely use some veteran leadership. You can see the difference with the likes of Hendricks, Gagner, Chiasson, and Reggie can make. Their stats are rather unimpressives, but there is an effect on overall team chemistry, getting W's, holding leads, avoiding long loosing streaks, etc. Oilers seem to gamble too much on young talent or guys who don't seem to lead well *looks @ Lucic*.

Kinda like @Messrules11 said we've been soulless since Messier left.

Leafs, by comparison, added the likes of Marleau and Tavares. Meanwhile the Buds went for Shea Weber.
Someone like a Toews is what the Oilers need (imo). This would allow for a high value RNH trade.

Jesus Murphy, the team doesn't need "soul." It needs talent.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad