Sportsnet: Sticking to the ‘Shanaplan’: Leafs won’t sacrifice future on trade market

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sticking-shanaplan-leafs-wont-sacrifice-future-trade-market/

my favourite part of the article

I’m excited about the progress, but I think for all of us – players included – we know that this is just really the beginning of the work,” said Shanahan.

The 47-year-old is a process-driven guy. He doesn’t view the road ahead in terms of timelines for when the Leafs need to get back to the playoffs or when they’ll be ready to contend for a Stanley Cup.

He had strong praise for head coach Mike Babcock because of the work he’s done with the rookies and holdovers alike.

When I see Mike – what some might see as criticism (of a player), I see as coaching. That’s Mike’s job, that’s why he was brought in here. It was not to inherit a team, it was to build a team.”

It is a nice article especially I like the underlined quote. Everyone that has their jimmies rattled with Babcock's coaching methods - re: Nylander - need to take a chill pill. Accountability is of utmost importance to build a culture in which effort and compete is ingrained in the mindset of the players

Also, regarding playoffs - even if Leafs do not make the playoffs its not the end of the world. This year is truly just a beginning. Patience is required

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sticking-shanaplan-leafs-wont-sacrifice-future-trade-market/

It is a nice article especially I like the underlined quote. Everyone that has their jimmies rattled with Babcock's coaching methods - re: Nylander - need to take a chill pill. Accountability is of utmost importance to build a culture in which effort and compete is ingrained in the mindset of the players

Also, regarding playoffs - even if Leafs do not make the playoffs its not the end of the world. This year is truly just a beginning. Patience is required

Almost my own words regarding Nylander...funny how that happens.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Almost my own words regarding Nylander...funny how that happens.

lol.

Also, just for fun

Babcock had said 6 points every 5 games leads to playoffs birth.

So if we do the math:

- 6 points every 5 games = 98.4 points in 82 games

- the 5 game segments to achieve that 6 points goal can be broken down into:
-------------3 wins every 5 games; or 2 wins and 2 OT points; or 1 win and 4 OT points ---------------

- 6 points every 5 games implies 1.2 points per game. Currently, Leafs have 25 points in 25 games which is about 1.point per game average. If leafs win tonight then leafs will have 27 points in 26 games which is about 1.04 points.

If 1.2 points on average in a 5 game segment gives you 6 points and over an 82 games gives you 98.4 points then it simply means that Leafs will have to get more than 6 points in few 5 game segments to reach the 1.2 points on average.

That means leafs need to get about 73.4 points to get to 98.4 points in remaining 57 games.

that is: leafs need to get on average 1.3 points per game to reach 98 points threshold.

SO in a 5 game segments leafs will have to get around 6.5 points (lets round it to 7 points) to make playoffs.

the 5 game segments to achieve that 7 points goal can be broken down into:
-------------3 wins and one OT every 5 games; or 2 wins and 3 OT points;

MINIMUM required.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It is so nice to have someone in the front office who has sense. and is doing the right things for this team. complete. trust.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It is so nice to have someone in the front office who has sense. and is doing the right things for this team. complete. trust.

Him having he final say on things keeps my faith in management (for the most part) even when I find some decisions hey make perplexing.

That said, even with this article I still won't be surprised to see the team move some 2nd tier futures in a package for an under 25 year old D man before expansion

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
So nice to have the team operated by a group of people who aren't clueless buffoons. I'd forgotten what it was like to not be terrified of trades or free agency.

Mad Brills*

However, they will have to make trades with some young guys, the ones that are waiver eligible next year.

Leipsic/Rychel.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
What a revelation, the Leafs aren't going to give away the youth for fast fixes.

I'm impressed, why, I don't know.

Right now I'm trying to think where crappy Leaf teams have given away quality youth in the search of maybe making the playoffs, nothing comes to mind.

The closest I can come to it, is the Kessel trade but then Kessel was an old 21 year who was already a superior player and TO traded away draft choices of where those choices would have ended was in doubt.

TO doesn't need superior young NHLers when they can get more and more draft choices, in Shany we trust. I wonder what Martin like signing we might end up with this summer?

Mar 26, 2010
Hopefully this just ends the ridiculous nylander talk.
It won't though

The cheap talk and outrageous trade proposals will not stop.

One thing is for sure, Nylander will not be traded. Book that.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I feel like the only mistake this group has made this far is just the draft strategy "order".

I know the reason why it was the order it was (skill forwards, blue liners, power-forwards) but it's still backwards.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I feel like the only mistake this group has made this far is just the draft strategy "order".

I know the reason why it was the order it was (skill forwards, blue liners, power-forwards) but it's still backwards.

Wait, youre saying we should've targeted powerforwards 1st and skill forwards last? Say bye to Nylander & Marner then, and say hello to Ritchie & Zacha (?)

We left Burke back in the dust, lets not look back

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

we just need to be thankfull these guys are getting coached and not coddled ,a babcock trained player is like money in the bank ,its an investment ,an asset ,his system makes u accountable ,and accountable to your teammates .and some players hate it because they don't have that competitive balls out mentality and quite frankly .,elite skill or hardworking in your face players can succeed in it ,
he doesn't want nylander or marner to just be in the league and be mediocre ,he wants them elite or they are not going to be assests in babcocks system

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad