Stick Length in Reality

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
So, I'm sure we all seen "Cut the hockey sticks": http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/ but is cutting the stick so far really necessary anymore? Given even mildly rockered blades and the like I imagine no one is going to have too much trouble with a stick that goes up to their chin on skates. I know it comes down to personal preference but I just can't believe so many players with longer sticks (e.g. longer than their collar bone) and perhaps at their chin are all "doing it wrong".

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah I've seen that before. Great information but pretty old school. I think the standard the last decade is between the chin and nose. I like how it's a personal thing. There's been some great discussions on stick length here at HF as well.

There's a large variance between NHL players. You can see superstars like Malkin, Crosby, and Keith use shorter than average lengths. Their hands are always so close together. Dylan Larkin, Eichel, and McDavid are young players who appear to play with longer sticks. I was thinking for a while the trend was longer but not sure.

cf1918_c5dd418d17d04a6e8c287d53cc02d478.jpg

900x506

dylan-larkin-nhl-detroit-red-wings-columbus-blue-jackets.jpg

jack_eichel_buffalo_011516.jpg

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
I've played around with the length of my stick for some time now. I feel I've come to a conclusion with my stick cut to my mouth in bare feet is best. Try it yourself and you'll find it. It takes time.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I prefer longer than avg. around the bottom of my nose.

Takes time and tries to figure out, be patient :)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My favorite is when a kid gets a new stick late in the season and the parents don't want to cut it.

So, he finishes the year with a stick as tall as he is...

:facepalm:

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I usually cut the between my nose and chin. Although I find as I've gotten older, my skating posture has changed, and therefore so has the length of my stick.

Like most things, it's personal preference before what is "normal".

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I go intermediate and don't cut it. Usually comes to just passed my nose on bare feet. With the wide range of blade Lies they have these days I don't think length is as cut and dry anymore since you can pretty much use any length and find a lie that will still get you a flat blade on the ice.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I've played around with the length of my stick for some time now. I feel I've come to a conclusion with my stick cut to my mouth in bare feet is best. Try it yourself and you'll find it. It takes time.

How did you go about experimenting? A used stick could be sacrificed then have 4 or 5 wood plugs and cut to different lengths. Wow if in bare feet then your stick is below the chin on ice, that is shorter than I'm used to seeing.

I remember Jarick and a few others were emphatic about the advantages of cutting to the chin and collarbone. I think part of his reasoning is that we want to follow pros like Pavel Datsyuk but don't realize he may have began shorter and worked his way to a longer stick. Pros have custom lies as well. I agree that many at the rec-level play with a stick that's slightly too long and too stiff. They kind of go hand in hand- if your flex is too high you don't want to cut and lose the little flex that's there.

A few times I practiced with a shorty but went right back to the usual. I'll admit I have a hard time breaking out of my comfort zone and didn't work very hard to explore anything beyond an inch or two difference. I'm surprised to hear a few saying their length varies up to 6 inches; even with a higher lie I have a hard time dropping more than 2 inches.

Ever see "that guy" with the too long stick? :laugh: It's like something's just wrong it takes a minute to figure out. I vowed not to be him.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
How did you go about experimenting? A used stick could be sacrificed then have 4 or 5 wood plugs and cut to different lengths. Wow if in bare feet then your stick is below the chin on ice, that is shorter than I'm used to seeing.

I remember Jarick and a few others were emphatic about the advantages of cutting to the chin and collarbone. I think part of his reasoning is that we want to follow pros like Pavel Datsyuk but don't realize he may have began shorter and worked his way to a longer stick. Pros have custom lies as well. I agree that many at the rec-level play with a stick that's slightly too long and too stiff. They kind of go hand in hand- if your flex is too high you don't want to cut and lose the little flex that's there.

A few times I practiced with a shorty but went right back to the usual. I'll admit I have a hard time breaking out of my comfort zone and didn't work very hard to explore anything beyond an inch or two difference. I'm surprised to hear a few saying their length varies up to 6 inches; even with a higher lie I have a hard time dropping more than 2 inches.

Ever see "that guy" with the too long stick? :laugh: It's like something's just wrong it takes a minute to figure out. I vowed not to be him.

You got it. I used a wood plug until I found the sweet spot. So many different factors to consider ie: you skating posture, your arm length, your torso length, etc. It's amazing how much of a difference and inch makes. I recently tried to go an inch longer because I hurt my back in a non hockey related incident. It was like I was learning how to play hockey again. It threw everything off. It gave me more certainty that I have found my proper stick length. So play around with it sir.

Reactions: LarryO

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'm 6'1" and just use the standard senior height (usually CCM 85 Flex) that the sticks come in, I've tried extension but it throws things off, so now I just use it as I get it. It's a bit below my chin on skates.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
When I was young, I used a stick that was below my chin. Over the years I went a little longer and longer till the stick was up to my eyebrows on skates. I was chasing a better shot.

About four years ago, because of health problems, I ended up in a situation where I pretty much had to learn how to skate and shoot again from scratch. This was good for my skills because it greatly strengthened my fundamentals.

As this was going on, I was getting frustrated with the longer stick because I was starting to notice how much trouble I was having stickhandling in tight quarters. That's when I went back to a short stick, about at my chin or an inch below. Next game, my teammates were commenting about how well I was handling the puck in tight quarters.

I'm still fine tuning a little. I play around with plugs a lot--I know what I said. Feel free to make a crack if you must--but otherwise I find the short stick way more suited to my game. Plus, better fundamentals made for better shot. It's still a pop gun, but still better than before.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
im 6 feet and I put an extension in a sr and give it an extra 1/2 inch

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
If you want to reference NHL players, simply google image search NHL players all star portraits and you can see their stick length. However more than likely they are in footwear.

FlyingDutchman

Aug 13, 2017
I've been thinking about this since buying a new Rekker EK60. I didn't want to cut it too short because I hate using a plug, but since I'm short overall, and likely have shorter than average arms, I think I shouldn't be afraid to cut to chest height.

I think he's got a great point that would speed up the development of younger players if followed. If you're grown and used to your long stick, that's fine enough, too.

I watched a guy doing stickhandling drills on youtube and he was very skilled, but his stick was so long he operated with his high hand off to his side the whole time. That may limit options for cutting and turning against opponents, though.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
I have found the following based on my stick length (I am a tall guy at 6'5"). I play mainly defense.

1) Shorter stick (chin and below): I have better stick handling. I am worse at poke checking, forehand shooting, and catching passes. I am about the same at delivering passes. Better at a saucer pass, worse at really putting some steam with some touch on it. It works out to be about a push. My backhand is much more accurate as well.

2) Longer stick (nose area and slightly above): Much better at poke checking. It isn't just a reach thing. It feels better in my hand. More natural. My shot is much better too. I find I can make long stretch passes with much greater touch as well.

I can play with either style. At this moment, I prefer the longer stick. If I would be playing forward all the time, I would probably use a shorter one though.

hillcrest34

Jan 15, 2016
Adelaide, SA
At the end of last season I cut my stick to the length suggested in cuthockeysticks.com I noticed a huge difference in terms of passing, shooting, puck control and generally being able to control my stick. Since then I've seen improvement, but whether thats down to cutting the stick or the work Ive put in is up for debate. But again, it really just comes down to personal preference

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I think the sweet spot for me is up to my chin on skates. I've tried shorter and my shot sucked, tried longer and my handling/shot sucked.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I thought I used a stick which was too long etc.
A few weeks later, I figured out the advantages (and cons) of that length and decided to stick to it.
I think the style of play also has an influence on which stick you'll use.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
For Ice Hockey I've always used a slightly longer stick to play, but with roller hockey and floor/dek hockey, the shorter stick I have, the better. My shot and passing is better, but poke-checking is poor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad