Equipment: Stick Kickpoint: High vs Low

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Interesting tidbit from a Base hockey video.

Ronning says the big difference between the high and low kickpoint sticks is that the high kickpoint is better when you have your bottom hand higher, the low kickpoint when you have your bottom hand lower.

At one point he says if you get the bottom hand too low, you're in/past the kickpoint and lose more power. And the side by side comparisons of the two sticks show that there's a bigger difference between high and low kick sticks with slappers vs wrist shots.

Oddly enough, when mid kick sticks started gaining popularity (again) with the One95, most people seemed to like them a lot more for slappers rather than snappers.

I know when I first tried mid kick sticks, I wasn't a fan, as it seemed I was losing some power on my shots. But when I started using more high end sticks and comparing low vs mid kick, I started to prefer the feel of the flex of a mid kick since I keep my hands closer together.

What's your preference in high vs low kick, and do you keep your hands close while shooting or far apart?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I had a low kick before that was great for slapshots, now I am using a mid that I find amazing for snappers/wristshots. Go figure.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I disagree with looking at it from that point of view. Low kick points allows for a far quicker loading time for those quick snap and wrist shots where as a higher kick point (mid kick is what I'm thinking) allows for the stick to really build up and then release for those big clappers. Not to mention your hand positions change all the time during the game and while you may like to hold it a certain way you don't always get that grip when the puck happens to come to your stick in the slot.

I currently have a N12 (low kick) and an AI9 (mid kick). I use the N12 because I had it first and I love it but I have noticed a lack on power on my slap shots while my wrist shot feels great.

rbarker26

Jan 3, 2013
Nor-Cal
I disagree with looking at it from that point of view. Low kick points allows for a far quicker loading time for those quick snap and wrist shots where as a higher kick point (mid kick is what I'm thinking) allows for the stick to really build up and then release for those big clappers. Not to mention your hand positions change all the time during the game and while you may like to hold it a certain way you don't always get that grip when the puck happens to come to your stick in the slot.

I currently have a N12 (low kick) and an AI9 (mid kick). I use the N12 because I had it first and I love it but I have noticed a lack on power on my slap shots while my wrist shot feels great.

I agree with this. During a game, your bottom hand constantly changes places on the stick (at least mine does). I used to have an Easton s19 (low kick) and it was great for wrist and snap shots. But now I use a totalone (mid kick) and its great for slap shots, and I feel like it's just as good, if not better, than the s19 on quick wrist shots

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
depends on the blade and the role...

open toe, I must have a mid kick point else with a low elliptical style Stealth, even a sakic for me ends up over the crossbar

with a neutral Iginla or Cammi/Zetteberg curve, anything works, and I do admit, there is more "snap" and action to my wristers with a low kick point, but still perfer a mid or neutral kickpoint

the synergy/Mako kickpoint and Total one's are what I enjoy most, but I admit that I've scored a buncha top corners in the dirty area's where I think the kickpoint gave me that much more action

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Having low kickpoint stick (third in row now). It's starting to flex too much and having to buy new one.. Having same problem as earlier guy, I want to load on the shot more, not just quickly hit the puck from anywhere, so I should take mid kick point shoudln't I? Bauer supreme even seems to be high kickpoint stick.

https://www.bauer.com/player-ice-hockey-sticks

I have been playing with easton for long time now, might try bauer though. Last time I didin't have easton it was ccm rbz and before that Rebook 10k.

Just does mid or high kickpoint make any sense at all if you'll use wirst shots 90% of the time?

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
with the years even leaving minor hockey, I've improved my skating and my game and have transitioned to a longer stick.

much of minor hockey was focused on being more game tactical rather than foundations even at a AAA level.. i.e. developing the 2nd nature reactions to situations rather than improving glide/skating inefficiencies.

As such I've gone to a longer stick, as I have a more stable foundation to improve my stick handling

Since the "synergy" stick, there have been lots of changes to kickpoints, shaft and blade technology, but ultimately I think a "lowish" kickpoint truely is the most effective.

there were even sticks that only flexed where the hand was, but never really gave that "pop" as compared.

All the "Bauer" sticks claim to have varying kickpoints but they are far from what that means, as they all are a varation of a "mid-low" kickpoint very similar to where the synergy sticks were.

With the APX2, I do like the fact that they have both a low, and when loaded, the mid has a flex profile to add and control the trajectory of the shot.

however in my books... the lowish-mid kickpoint is the perfect kickpoint regardless of the position

https://issuu.com/bauer-hockey/docs/bauer_stick_fit_guide_2015_en

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I like the kind of shot that you drag the puck from far, like almost from behind you, and if ripping it hard also transfer your weight on the other leg completely ,some times even other skate lifting in the air when you shoot. Thats my favourite shot. It's pretty old school and definitely not a snap shot, what is the best stick for it? It gives me full control where the puck goes and if you rip it, shots are hard as slappers, just takes more time to shoot. Without better knowledge im switching to mid kickpoint or high to try it.

Ofc I use the quick shot some times when must, but if I can rip it with the shot I explained I go with it.

vyse

Mar 14, 2016
los angeles
I like the kind of shot that you drag the puck from far, like almost from behind you, and if ripping it hard also transfer your weight on the other leg completely ,some times even other skate lifting in the air when you shoot. Thats my favourite shot. It's pretty old school and definitely not a snap shot, what is the best stick for it? It gives me full control where the puck goes and if you rip it, shots are hard as slappers, just takes more time to shoot. Without better knowledge im switching to mid kickpoint or high to try it.

Ofc I use the quick shot some times when must, but if I can rip it with the shot I explained I go with it.

sounds like a midkick would suite you better. the bauer nexus have a good inbetween balance

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
All the "Bauer" sticks claim to have varying kickpoints but they are far from what that means, as they all are a varation of a "mid-low" kickpoint very similar to where the synergy sticks were.

With the APX2, I do like the fact that they have both a low, and when loaded, the mid has a flex profile to add and control the trajectory of the shot.

however in my books... the lowish-mid kickpoint is the perfect kickpoint regardless of the position

https://issuu.com/bauer-hockey/docs/bauer_stick_fit_guide_2015_en
This is completely untrue. Not sure your rationale behind that, aside from the fact that you don't like pure mid or low kicks.

vyse's recommendation is a good starting point. Other brand's have their own mid/low kick lines of course.

Are you sure your low kick stick's problem is the kickpoint itself? Not the flex rating? Do you think that moving up a flex rating would help with the whippiness?

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I'll second the question about too low a flex. I was shooting yesterday, with a whippy (super) low kick and I "overpowered" the stick when I shot fully loaded slappers. What I mean by "Overpowered" is that I felt like I flexed it as much as it was willing/engineered and going further would just damage it. I also didn't increase the velocity and the accuracy went to hell (bladed opened up? or I was just to jerky?)

However, when I shoot with another low kick but +20 flex I can lean into the slap shot as much as possible and it continues to come off faster with accuracy consistent to my ability.

I have never used a nexus or vapor but I have used a supreme nxg and it just launched the puck off my blade on heavily loaded shots.

lordbender

Mar 13, 2016

I can't see how that type of shot is consistently effective unless your velocity is unreal or you completely have the goalie fooled in the situations where you employ it. A long windup projects your intentions to the goalie and gives him time to set up. I'd rather a quick release.

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I can't see how that type of shot is consistently effective unless your velocity is unreal or you completely have the goalie fooled in the situations where you employ it. A long windup projects your intentions to the goalie and gives him time to set up. I'd rather a quick a release.

Seconding this.

Myself personally, I have a good wrist/snap shot and the low kick just emphasizes a quicker release. That for me gives the goalie a pretty tough time with it, especially when I get my shot placement right.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
For the past few years I have really tried to branch out and try a bunch of different sticks with varying attributes. Namely flex and kick-point.

Examples- APX2, RBZ Superfast, EK15, Total One NXG, Nexus 8000, True a4.5/5.2, T100/T120, N12, Vapor X800, and a few more.

However, I have tried to keep the curve relatively the same. Usually a PM9(or equivalent), or P88(or equivalent). I had settled on those two curves years ago after a similar test with curves. While they are different in some ways(lie, for example), they are somewhat similar too.

Long story/ short- In just about every facet I preferred a mid kick stick.

I don't rip clappers. I am also not a finesse forward either. So I don't need to rely on a quick shot all the time. I do play defense on one team, as well as wing on another.

I would say I needed something that was more of a "jack of all trades", and in almost every instance, the mid kick sticks provided that for me.

I felt like getting a shot off quickly wasn't overly hampered with a mid kick, if at all (the NXG for example, which in all honesty is one of my favorite sticks now). If I needed to load up, I could do that as well.

I just felt like my shot in almost every instance was "weaker" with a low kick stick. I really liked the EK15 a lot. However, I definitely felt like if I needed to take a big shot, I wasn't overly confident I could hit my target. Obviously that can boil down to the archer, and not the arrow. However, while not the greatest player. I have enough confidence in my skill to get a decent shot off in most instances.

It all boils down to preference. I think the labels we put on certain sticks attributes need to be taken with a grain of salt, or maybe just as a general guideline/starting point. Everyone is different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad