Advice: Stick flex for a shorter player

james13

Sep 22, 2013
Durham/GTA
I would like to preface this by saying I have read the sticky and searched this site as well as others for advice/solution.

I am a male about 5'4", 145lbs. Most of my strength is lower body. I play forward and my shot tendency is almost always a snap shot.

I currently use a Junior 50 flex Easton. The stick is perfect height for my preference without cutting it, it sits just around my collarbone on skates. I like it this length for handles and it works for me when I take the snap shots.

I have a hard time loading the stick for wristers. I almost always resort to a snap shot where I lean into my bottom hand and use my momentum to create flex to release my shot in one motion. Ideally, this starts at the back of the stick, lined up with my feet so I can get extra weight into the stick. Lots of pressure on the bottom hand creates the flex and then I use momentum from my stride and twisting my trunk to finish the shot.

This method works fine for me, but I lack the strength and/or technique to utilize the flex using wrists shots. I try to load up for more power but it seems I don't have the upper body strength to properly load and utilize the flex in one fluid motion. I am referring to trying to put even more power and momentum as well as flex into the stick. I can't seem to pull it off.

Is it possible this may be a product of a stick that is too stiff still? Too whippy?? I can't pin point it! I've tried both lengthening and shortening the stick (I bought two at the time) but each change in height creates problems in the release of my snap shot as well as my puck handling which I am comfortable with when my stick height is as described above, and suffers with a change in stick length.

Advice, any will help!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Well, it's not like you could use a whippier flex, 50 flex is as whippy as it gets. Your problem isn't strength, I weigh as much as you do, but I can load an 87 flex stick on a wrist shot. You need to develop the proper technique to get the maximum whip out of your stick. Here's a video that could help you :

james13

Sep 22, 2013
Durham/GTA
Thanks for the video onetimer. What he is illustrating in that video is pretty much what I consider to be my snap shot. The farther back I start my stick (to generate more power) the worse off my shot gets. The one fluid motion is what ruins it for me

Jarick, I am currently using a Junior 50 flex Easton ST. It was an older model when I bought it but it is blue with no grip. Iginla curve as well.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for the video onetimer. What he is illustrating in that video is pretty much what I consider to be my snap shot. The farther back I start my stick (to generate more power) the worse off my shot gets. The one fluid motion is what ruins it for me

Jarick, I am currently using a Junior 50 flex Easton ST. It was an older model when I bought it but it is blue with no grip. Iginla curve as well.

How could it get worse if you generate more power ? If you can shoot the way Cammy does in the video, then that's perfectly fine, don't bother trying to learn another technique.

james13

Sep 22, 2013
Durham/GTA
Where it gets worse is in transferring my weight and momentum in one motion. I end up with less power because I lose the flex I generated from not making the full motion fast enough. Pretty hard to explain without a visual I guess. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep on improving with my snap.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I developed a good wrister over months and years of practice. It's all about weight transfer, and it's learnable. I weigh around 135 and I can beat goalies clean with my wrist shot when I get it off right.

In other words, it isn't all a stick issue, though that 50 flex thing is probably too whippy for anyone over 5'0. Do you play with anyone who uses an intermediate? I highly recommend trying a 67-70 flex intermediate, since most of the people your size I know use intermediates, myself included.

james13

Sep 22, 2013
Durham/GTA
Update:

Decided to cut down a 65 flex Intermediate Easton EQ50 to where I like it (about an inch above my collarbone on skates). This effectively put the flex around 72 or so now according to the numbers on the stick.

First impressions: I love the feel of the shaft relative to using a Junior. Shots and passes come off "thick" if that makes sense. Puck feel while stickhandling is better, but I'm pretty sure I can attribute this to the EQ50's tungsten built into the blade and the density of the stick brand.

As for my shot. With a junior it was easy for me to "do the Kessel" and snap decent shots quickly with relative ease. Obviously, with the higher flex (20 higher than I'm used to!) more effort is required to get good flex out of the stick. But when I do things right, I'm surprised by the velocity of the shot.

As with all new sticks I expect it to "soften up" some after more use, which has me excited as I feel a lower flex would benefit me some more.

I know Warrior makes Imtermediates in 55 flex, so by the time that is cut down to my preference I'm hoping it'll land in the 60-65 range which would probably be ideal once it's broken in. Do other brands make a 55 in intermediates or make 60s that feel whipper? I know from experience that warrior already holds that distinction of feel whipper than the number says, but am still curious.

Thanks again for the replies. Any other info would be appreciated!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Update:

Decided to cut down a 65 flex Intermediate Easton EQ50 to where I like it (about an inch above my collarbone on skates). This effectively put the flex around 72 or so now according to the numbers on the stick.

First impressions: I love the feel of the shaft relative to using a Junior. Shots and passes come off "thick" if that makes sense. Puck feel while stickhandling is better, but I'm pretty sure I can attribute this to the EQ50's tungsten built into the blade and the density of the stick brand.

As for my shot. With a junior it was easy for me to "do the Kessel" and snap decent shots quickly with relative ease. Obviously, with the higher flex (20 higher than I'm used to!) more effort is required to get good flex out of the stick. But when I do things right, I'm surprised by the velocity of the shot.

As with all new sticks I expect it to "soften up" some after more use, which has me excited as I feel a lower flex would benefit me some more.

I know Warrior makes Imtermediates in 55 flex, so by the time that is cut down to my preference I'm hoping it'll land in the 60-65 range which would probably be ideal once it's broken in. Do other brands make a 55 in intermediates or make 60s that feel whipper? I know from experience that warrior already holds that distinction of feel whipper than the number says, but am still curious.

Thanks again for the replies. Any other info would be appreciated!

Bauer used to sell 60 flex intermediates, I don't know if they still do though.

IonizedCookie

Dec 29, 2012
Niagara Falls, ON
A lower number in flex is much better for a smaller player. You should be around 60-70 flex to get it right, enough to give you that accuracy and that solid shot as well. I also really prefer Sher-wood sticks over other major brands (Reebok, CCM, Easton, etc..) It's all about the stick. Just try and find that right point and there's not much information we can really give you on what stick you should have. All comes to personal preference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad