Equipment: Stick extension plugs - advantages?

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Hey guys!

I use wooden plugs on both of my sticks, simply because I'm 6'5" and there is no brand except Warrior whose sticks are long enough. But is there an advantage those plugs can have beside the obvious one - extending the stick length? I've seen it a couple times in the WHL and in the NHL now, players who don't seem to be super tall have those plugs in their sticks. Maybe I'm just mistaken and they actually are tall, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. :P

The only one who comes to my mind right now is Corey Perry but he is 6'3" so it's probably just necessary for him. Anyway, this is what it looks like.
4404995.jpg

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
There are several reasons to use a wood plug. One is to change the balance so that the stick feels more blade-light. Another is to dampen the vibrations and change the puck feel. And another reason is some players like to shave the plug down into a custom shape.

I use one in all my sticks even though I'm only 5'6". I like the way it changes the balance.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
6'2 Alexander Semin uses a 112 flex stick with a wooden extension with round corners. It helps him to shoot the puck, because the length is perfect and it becomes a bit softer, which allows him to get that extra zip on his wrist shots.

Some smaller players (5'9 Brad Marchand) also use the extensions, probably for stickhandling and poke checking purposes.

At 6'5, you have no choice but to use an extension, unless you call a company to make custom sticks for you.

jking

Nov 30, 2011
I'm 5'8". I use an 85 flex but I cut it short which makes it more like 100 flex, maybe more? If I use an extension, will the stick become more flexible even when it's cut that short? Thanks

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I'm 5'8". I use an 85 flex but I cut it short which makes it more like 100 flex, maybe more? If I use an extension, will the stick become more flexible even when it's cut that short? Thanks

Yes, definitely more flexible but I'm not sure how much more.

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
How bout not cutting the stick in the first place?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There are several reasons to use a wood plug. One is to change the balance so that the stick feels more blade-light. Another is to dampen the vibrations and change the puck feel. And another reason is some players like to shave the plug down into a custom shape.

I use one in all my sticks even though I'm only 5'6". I like the way it changes the balance.

That guy nailed it. While all points are personal preferences, those are the usual reasons, aside from just making a stick longer.

If you cut the stick shorter, it's going to feel stiffer. If you put in an extension, it's going to feel whippier. If you cut it short and put a plug back to length, it's going to be pretty close.

The Oggie grips available I have used in the past, they do restore some flex to the stick. And they do seem to make the stick feel a bit whippier and add a bit of a kick point to the top hand. But they never really wanted me to try out the regular grips and kept sending me the Ergo grips, which I never bonded with. Felt way too weird.

When I tried out their grips, I ended up going back to wood plugs, even at 5" long or so, the sticks still felt fine.

My preference though is to get the height of the stick correct right off the bat and not use a plug, or at least to use a 1" plug which is the same width as a tape roll for the knob.

The annoying thing about end plugs is having to shave them down to size when you use intermediates, both for the tenon and for the plug itself. Senior plugs can be thicker than intermediate sticks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad