Stick Brands back in the day

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I was looking through my set of Parkhurst retro 1966-67 cards and got to noticing the brands of sticks the players were using. On cards where I could make out the print on a player's stick, I noted the following:
Bruins, Hawks and Wings players all had Northland sticks.
Rangers had some Northlands, some CCM.
Leafs were all CCM except for Mike Walton with a Northland.
Habs had some CCM, some Victoriaville.

I'm assuming CCM and Victoriaville are Canadian manufacturers, but does anyone have any insight into sticks in those days, i.e. did teams have contracts to use a certain brand, etc. etc.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Ccm, Northland:

CCM was a bicycle company that got involved in sports related, Northlands was an American stick company in Minnesotta who had dominance for a very long time, Victoriaville named after the city here in Quebec as is Sherwood, here in Sherbrooke, Qc

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I was looking through my set of Parkhurst retro 1966-67 cards and got to noticing the brands of sticks the players were using. On cards where I could make out the print on a player's stick, I noted the following:
Bruins, Hawks and Wings players all had Northland sticks.
Rangers had some Northlands, some CCM.
Leafs were all CCM except for Mike Walton with a Northland.
Habs had some CCM, some Victoriaville.

I'm assuming CCM and Victoriaville are Canadian manufacturers, but does anyone have any insight into sticks in those days, i.e. did teams have contracts to use a certain brand, etc. etc.

Toronto had an exclusive deal with CCM for a lengthy period of time. Supposedly, Frank Mahovlich's way of telling his wife that he'd been traded from Toronto to Detroit was to hang up the phone, turn to her, and say, "Well, I can finally use Northland sticks".

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
normally when my dad took me too Kenesky's(Hamilton On. and where most pro netminders had their pads custom made) to get my sticks for the season, all that were available were Hespler, CCM, Victoriaville, Sherbrooke(forerunner to sherwoods, their nickname was sherbreak) and sometimes something called a Wally.

For some reason starting in 69, they started carrying Mockpa, Pro-Finn and Koho as well, but still no Northland for some reason. I bought one of the early Koho's(prowrap I think) and used them for the next 15 or so years before going to the much heavier Sherwood PMP

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Does anyone remember a stick that Northland made called The Cannon? They only made it one or two years somewhere about 1980. It had a weird blade with a big round heel that sorta had a knob on it. I've looked for it on the internet a few times and haven't been able to find a pic. Just wonder if anyone remembers the thing. It weighed a ton and was supposed to be great for slapshots.........It was not.

lovetherangers

Mar 5, 2010
New York
I used to love Bending Branches goalie sticks. Super light with a wicked curve for those of us who liked to play the puck a la Ron Hextall.

do they still make Canadiens? Always thought they were the perfect stick for the Habs to use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad