Stick Blades

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I use a Sherwood Spezza curve, it's a heel curve that I feel really helps me make accurate forehand and backhand passes. I'm a playmaking center, so that's the most important thing for me.

I love the Spezza curve but Im thinking about changing to a Gagne because of the difference in the lie.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I use Easton Composite blade in a Shanahan(18mm/lie 6) curve but I've been having a hard time finding them anymore. The Yzerman(15mm/lie 6) blade is a decent sub, but I have to mod them with a heat gun to close down the more open nature of the face.

The ABS blade/wood hosel Composite is nicer for me than all-wood because it doesn't de-laminate at the wear point. The ABS wears very well and I can sculpt the toe to the way I like it with my Dremel.
The Shanahan curve has been discontinued (I think he switched to Warrior products). I bought six Shanahan ABS blades when I heard the news. A good replacement is the Coffey curve from Sherwood. The lie is slightly different (5.5 instead of 6) but the curve is pretty much the same.

Funny you say that the ABS blade doesn't delaminate because every third blade used to delaminate for me right away.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I've been looking at the Naslund Bauer Supreme One90 blade (mid-toe), anyone have it? Any good?

http://oceanhockey.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product-id/36701419.html

Not sure if it's a tapered blade, though, doesn't say. Only thing is I'm not so sure if I wanna spend $50 for a blade that I have no idea how it's gonna be. It could get it and hate it then never use it again.

Actually I found the Bauer One60 for $25, maybe I'll buy that. It'll probably be pretty heavy though (looks to be wood) and it says it has a 6 lie, which would probably be too high for me...

Last edited:

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I've been looking at the Naslund Bauer Supreme One90 blade (mid-toe), anyone have it? Any good?

http://oceanhockey.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product-id/36701419.html

Not sure if it's a tapered blade, though, doesn't say. Only thing is I'm not so sure if I wanna spend $50 for a blade that I have no idea how it's gonna be. It could get it and hate it then never use it again.

Actually I found the Bauer One60 for $25, maybe I'll buy that. It'll probably be pretty heavy though (looks to be wood) and it says it has a 6 lie, which would probably be too high for me...

The One40 and One60 wood blades are obscenely light for wood blades. I wouldn't worry.

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The Shanahan curve has been discontinued (I think he switched to Warrior products). I bought six Shanahan ABS blades when I heard the news. A good replacement is the Coffey curve from Sherwood. The lie is slightly different (5.5 instead of 6) but the curve is pretty much the same.

Funny you say that the ABS blade doesn't delaminate because every third blade used to delaminate for me right away.

I've never had a delam problem with my Easton composites. Perhaps your individual wear point is down where the blade meets the hosel? Mine wear pretty flat to the entire blade. In fact, I've been experimenting with adding ABS back to the bottom of my shanahan blades. I bought a few 12"x12" sheets that I bond by heating them with a heat gun and my dreeml and then pressing them. Sometimes the new material stays on for a few games, and sometimes it pops off immediately. I can't get it to bond to the old abs reliably. I'm thinking about using a torch, but ABS burns easily and enthusiastically.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
the naslund is a sakic curve. The nash is close to a sakic but the curve is a hair different.

Newer wood blades aren't like those old christians wood blades, the new ones are very lightweight, comparable to the weight of a composite blade. Just throwing this out there; the newer christian wood blades are probably about half the weight of the old ones with the diamond wrap.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
the naslund is a sakic curve. The nash is close to a sakic but the curve is a hair different.

it's strange hockeymonkey says Naslund is a mid-curve, but another site I looked at said mid-toe and two others said toe. How can the info be so different?

Anyway I ordered the Naslund One60. I'll give it a try.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
it's strange hockeymonkey says Naslund is a mid-curve, but another site I looked at said mid-toe and two others said toe. How can the info be so different?

Anyway I ordered the Naslund One60. I'll give it a try.

Never trust hockeymonkey's descriptions, they are a bunch of idiots.

The sakic isn't even a "toe-curve" it's a heel with the majority curve in the mid-section of the blade. It's where the curve starts, not where the majority of the curve is.

Trust me the P92 Naslund is a Sakic. It's a wood blade, if you have any issue with the curve heat it up and modify the curve. If you find that you like it you can contact christian, tps or sherwood and get them to make you some custom wood pattern off of the blade.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.

Newer wood blades aren't like those old christians wood blades, the new ones are very lightweight, comparable to the weight of a composite blade. Just throwing this out there; the newer christian wood blades are probably about half the weight of the old ones with the diamond wrap.

TBLFan hit it on the head. Naslund = Sakic, though I think the Naslund is a bit "wider" from top to bottom than the Sakic on the blade.

Some of the woodies out there are seriously light, especially the Nike Bauers. The Easton ones are okay. The Sherwood ones are still pretty hefty though, last time I checked. If you can find them, there are some nice Graf and Jofa woodblades out there in LHSs.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
those looking for yzermans, easton made them in the red st blade as of last year. this year they are yellow, not sure if they still make it, but im pretty sure you can find last years around still.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
So I just got the blade and I tried to curve it a bit. How's it look? I think I may have made it more into a heal curve, I'm confused...
blade.jpg

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
the first one looks almost like an easton drury, the second looks like a retail sakic with more of a curve at the heel(the sakic curve starts at the heel and is technically a heel curve).

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Well I guess I'm going to keep it like it is. I don't feel like cracking it completely. I'll wait til I get the dolomite one of these days before I try a toe curve since that's the only true toe-curve I can find.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
there really isn't a true retail toe curve. Even the nash(close to sakic) is a mid-toe or a mid, depending on who you ask. Since you're right handed you might want to try to kind a kovachuk pro stock, his illegal curve is a big toe curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->