Prospect Info: STI Top 62 Draft Rankings: May 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper Prospect of the Day:

C/RW Trevor Janicke, Central Illinois, USHL
Here's a kid who could win the "Joey Anderson Award" of kid who may not have top-line talent but you really want him on your team. Every time he is on the ice, you notice him. His compete level is off-the-charts -- in the same elite grouping as likely top-10 picks Turcotte, Krebs and Podkolzin. Everything with Janicke is maximum effort -- he hustles like a maniac, dives for pucks, battles with bigger players. He plays with the ferocity of a honey badger. Despite not being very big (5'10-195), Janicke hits everything in sight. Though he cannot change the pace of a game like an elite offensive talent, he changes the energy of the game with each shift he takes. He's been considered a leader at every level, and this year captained Central Illinois.

Though he does not have top-line talent, he has an intriguing offensive skill-set which could make him a very effective middle-6 F. His standout tool is his shot -- his wrist shot is an absolute blast and his one-timer is a behemoth. Janicke skates very well, and although his puck skills and vision will never be considered elite tools, he's a prototypical north-south player: get the puck in the zone, dig it out of the corners, and when you get a shot -- fire away.

I realize elite offensive players will win more games on the professional level than high-energy players. But you also need players like Janicke to win in the post-season, plus you can probably find him in the fourth round when the elite offensive talents are long gone. Trevor Janicke is a future fan-favorite in the NHL and a heck of a hockey player.

Reactions: hidek91 and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

C/RW Trevor Janicke, Central Illinois, USHL
Here's a kid who could win the "Joey Anderson Award" of kid who may not have top-line talent but you really want him on your team. Every time he is on the ice, you notice him. His compete level is off-the-charts -- in the same elite grouping as likely top-10 picks Turcotte, Krebs and Podkolzin. Everything with Janicke is maximum effort -- he hustles like a maniac, dives for pucks, battles with bigger players. He plays with the ferocity of a honey badger. Despite not being very big (5'10-195), Janicke hits everything in sight. Though he cannot change the pace of a game like an elite offensive talent, he changes the energy of the game with each shift he takes. He's been considered a leader at every level, and this year captained Central Illinois.

Though he does not have top-line talent, he has an intriguing offensive skill-set which could make him a very effective middle-6 F. His standout tool is his shot -- his wrist shot is an absolute blast and his one-timer is a behemoth. Janicke skates very well, and although his puck skills and vision will never be considered elite tools, he's a prototypical north-south player: get the puck in the zone, dig it out of the corners, and when you get a shot -- fire away.

I realize elite offensive players will win more games on the professional level than high-energy players. But you also need players like Janicke to win in the post-season, plus you can probably find him in the fourth round when the elite offensive talents are long gone. Trevor Janicke is a future fan-favorite in the NHL and a heck of a hockey player.

Sounds a bit like Talvite.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds a bit like Talvite.

Yeah, another decent comparable. If we compile my "sleeper prospect of the day" profiles we'd find a few guys like Talvitie/Anderson -- I love players in this mold, as apparently do Ray Shero and Paul Castron. I think you win with them.

Looking at the Stanley Cup finals this year, they're like a big middle finger stuck out at many of the analytics-obsessed who think that Mark Pysyk is a better defenseman than Brandon Carlo or that William Nylander is as valuable as Vladimir Tarasenko. Boston and St. Louis are two of the most physical teams in the league, and they both play with a maximum-effort compete level.

I love players like Talvitie and Anderson, and looking back, my comments when the Devils drafted them are certainly testament to that. I'd love the Devils to use their six picks between #34 and #96 on high-upside forwards and defensemen, but after that? I'd love a kid like Janicke in the NJ system.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

RD Ryan Siedem, Central Illinois, USHL
I'm reaching deep right here for what we can call a "super sleeper", because Siedem is a prospect you can likely wait until rounds 6/7 to draft. But Siedem is a Madison, New Jersey prospect, so I've been following him a bit closer than most throughout the year. Let's not make the mistake that I'm overstating his potential for sentimental reasons, however -- this kid is a legit NHL prospect.

At 6'2-190, Siedem has ideal NHL size, and he is an extremely fluid skater with very good edge work. He is strong and willing to engage physically, but he's not the type of player to initiate the rough stuff or to seek out big hits. Defensively, his gap control is excellent, especially considering his level of development, and his positional play and decisions with the puck harken to a very strong hockey IQ. He is a good passer, especially on the breakout, and his shot is adequate, but can stand to get stronger. For Central Illinois, he is utilized heavily in all situations and is trusted heavily on the PP and PK.

Siedem will be attending Boston College in the autumn, and that is certainly a place where he will improve greatly over the next few seasons. I'm certain that, as a New Jersey native, the Devils scouting team is aware of this talented kid, and there is certainly an organizational need to bolster the talent base at RD. All of these elements point to a player who would be a very smart pick in the 6th/7th rounds. It's just extremely rare to find mid-pairing upside and such low overall risk so late in the draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

RD Ronnie Attard, Tri-City, USHL
Normally I don't spend a ton of time writing about double-overagers. But when you have a 6'3-205 RD who skates very well your eyes open, and when you see he scored 30 goals in 48 games, your eyes get very, very wide. It's important to keep this in perspective that, at 20 years old, Attard was much older and bigger than his competition in the USHL. But at any level, Attard's numbers are quite impressive.

Committed to Western Michigan University in the fall, I have seen Attard compared to Jake Muzzin. I think the size/skating/hockey sense match that, but although Attard is certainly capable of the physical game, he's not nearly as aggressive as Muzzin. The question which would have to come to mind with Attard is: with such a coveted skill set, how was he passed over in the NHL draft not once but twice? Well, in the best case scenario he's simply a late bloomer. As a 19 year old, he had just 7 goals and 15 points for Tri-City. One year later, he exploded for a mind-boggling 30 goals and 64 points in just 48 games.

When will we see Attard drafted? It's tough to say. 6'3 RDs who can skate well and score are a prized commodity by professional hockey organizations. I could see him going anywhere between the 2nd and 5th round. The Devils need RD with size, this is far from a secret, but it would be important not to draft Attard too early. If Ray Shero called his name in the 4th or 5th round, however, it would represent a potentially high value pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->