Prospect Info: STI 2019 Draft Rankings, 1.0

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
can't forget our beloved travis zajac came from the BCHL

Oh I remember -- he really tore it up for Salmon Arm in his draft year. I actually had Zajac going to the Devils in my 2004 mock draft and was pretty thrilled when NJ selected him. The difference is that Zajac went #20 overall in a draft which was notoriously thin at center. I'm quite high on Newhook and would never say anything negative about the BCHL, but this draft is different in that it is extremely deep at center. Though I can justify taking Newhook over Tomasino or McMichael, I could not justify taking him over Turcotte or Dach. As I keep saying, however, much can change between now and draft day, which is why I keep updating my rankings.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Oh I remember -- he really tore it up for Salmon Arm in his draft year. I actually had Zajac going to the Devils in my 2004 mock draft and was pretty thrilled when NJ selected him. The difference is that Zajac went #20 overall in a draft which was notoriously thin at center. I'm quite high on Newhook and would never say anything negative about the BCHL, but this draft is different in that it is extremely deep at center. Though I can justify taking Newhook over Tomasino or McMichael, I could not justify taking him over Turcotte or Dach. As I keep saying, however, much can change between now and draft day, which is why I keep updating my rankings.
Was Zajac an over-ager or something? I vaguely remember looking his stats up and noticing that he was a year older than expected. Maybe it was a late birthday or something.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Was Zajac an over-ager or something? I vaguely remember looking his stats up and noticing that he was a year older than expected. Maybe it was a late birthday or something.

Zajac had just turned 19 when he was drafted out of Salmon Arm in 2004, and then went on to play at North Dakota. He played on a great UND team that at one time had Zajac, Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie and Drew Stafford.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves any scenario where we can use the 2nds and prospects to move up and get Caufield too?

I'm sure Shero has discussed this possibility, seeing as Hughes and Caufield click so well together. But the reality is that Caulfield will be gone by the teens, and he's upping his draft stock with an impressive tourney.

Though I still cannot envision a scenario where Caufield goes top 10, I can see him being gone as early as #11 (Philadelphia) or #12 (Minnesota) and it's tough to see him falling into the 20s. Trading up for a first-round pick in the teens is a huge cost -- it's tough to see it happening.

I could certainly see Shero making Hughes happy by taking a teammate or two with later picks, Marshall Warren and Case McCarthy are certainly strong possibilities. But the US-NTDP right wing most likely to be drafted by the Devils in 2019 is not Cole Caufield, but rather Judd Caulfield.

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm sure Shero has discussed this possibility, seeing as Hughes and Caufield click so well together. But the reality is that Caulfield will be gone by the teens, and he's upping his draft stock with an impressive tourney.

Though I still cannot envision a scenario where Caufield goes top 10, I can see him being gone as early as #11 (Philadelphia) or #12 (Minnesota) and it's tough to see him falling into the 20s. Trading up for a first-round pick in the teens is a huge cost -- it's tough to see it happening.

I could certainly see Shero making Hughes happy by taking a teammate or two with later picks, Marshall Warren and Case McCarthy are certainly strong possibilities. But the US-NTDP right wing most likely to be drafted by the Devils in 2019 is not Cole Caufield, but rather Judd Caulfield.

One can dream I suppose.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Zajac had just turned 19 when he was drafted out of Salmon Arm in 2004, and then went on to play at North Dakota. He played on a great UND team that at one time had Zajac, Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie and Drew Stafford.

Awesome: there was a guy on that team named Lee Marvin

z082907lee-marvin-tm_8926.jpeg

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Caufield's lack of assists in the program is kind of shocking to me. He's seemed like a pretty good playmaker from what little I've seen of him.

Is this another concern scouts have with him?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Caufield's lack of assists in the program is kind of shocking to me. He's seemed like a pretty good playmaker from what little I've seen of him.

Is this another concern scouts have with him?

No. It's just that smaller players are supposed to be super fast, and Caufield is a good but not great skater.When scouts look at a kid who is 5'8 and not blowing past people, I think they just get nervous. The conundrum with Caufield is that his shot is absolutely elite, not something generally associated with smaller players. It's almost Stamkos-like. He's also a good puck handler, exceptionally smart, and has a Brett Hull-like ability to get open at the perfect moment even when the opposition is keying on him.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'd say there's a couple of reasons he doesn't have that many assists. The other players have to actually score for him to get an "assist" and no one else on the team scores nearly as much as he does. Second, he's not really the guy who's going to be carrying the puck up the ice looking to dish it off to people on a regular basis. Finally, he just happens to always be in good scoring spots and ofc he's a shoot first player so yea.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad