8 Cozens
9 Krebs
10 Dach
11 Caufield
12 Dorofeyev
13 Soderstrom
14 Lavoie
15 Newhook

Kournianos has given the highest rankings I have seen anywhere to Zegras, Boldy, Dorofeyev. Like me, he has Caufield just outside the top 10 -- neither of us are remotely concerned that Caufield's size will prevent him from scoring goals at any level. He also agrees with me that Turcotte is a top 5 prospect -- it baffles me that he and Zegras can be left out of top 10 lists by poorer draft writers.

Kournianos is the best surveyor of USHS talent around -- if he says Boldy is #6, that's a big statement. And when Kournianos ranks a prospect appreciably higher than the field like Dorofeyev? Well, I'm going to look at some more film on Dorofeyev this weekend, that's for certain.
I think it's reasonable to mention these words from him:

"FWIW, I'm partial to the NTDP kids because I've seen them plenty, not because they are American. The WHL kids were video only simply because every damn prospect event was in Western Canada this year and it's too much mileage on the car. Don't know if seeing Dach or Cozens or Byram or Krebs live would have made a difference in my top 10 rankings, but I'm pretty sure some teams have at least one of them top three on their internal draft board.

This NTDP is the best junior team I have ever seen in 35+ plus years of watching and actually remembering hockey, and it's impossible to ignore what they do in just one period, let alone an entire season. That impacted the top 10."

Reactions: StevenToddIves

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Given the Kings tremendous ability to tank, I fully expect that we finish 29th. I fully expect that to mean to pick 5th or 4th. Just hope whoever jumps us leaves Byram on the board.

Reactions: My3Sons

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I wonder if Colorado would be more inclined to take a gamble on the russian
I bet Podkolzin gets picked by a big market team. If the Rangers don’t win the lottery I’d be willing to bet he gets picked by them because smaller market teams will be scared off by the fact he may stay in Russia, but NY and Chicago have allure that other teams don’t have. Plus NY already have Kravstov in the system and I’m sure they’re going to be big players for Panarin so it might be more tempting for Podkolzin to make the jump.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think it's reasonable to mention these words from him:

"FWIW, I'm partial to the NTDP kids because I've seen them plenty, not because they are American. The WHL kids were video only simply because every damn prospect event was in Western Canada this year and it's too much mileage on the car. Don't know if seeing Dach or Cozens or Byram or Krebs live would have made a difference in my top 10 rankings, but I'm pretty sure some teams have at least one of them top three on their internal draft board.

This NTDP is the best junior team I have ever seen in 35+ plus years of watching and actually remembering hockey, and it's impossible to ignore what they do in just one period, let alone an entire season. That impacted the top 10."

That's extremely interesting in that it's the polar opposite of the bias often shown in Canadian rankings. I find it fascinating that you can scout the people doing the ranking (myself included) as much as the players being ranked.

Reactions: Verdoux

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I bet Podkolzin gets picked by a big market team. If the Rangers don’t win the lottery I’d be willing to bet he gets picked by them because smaller market teams will be scared off by the fact he may stay in Russia, but NY and Chicago have allure that other teams don’t have. Plus NY already have Kravstov in the system and I’m sure they’re going to be big players for Panarin so it might be more tempting for Podkolzin to make the jump.

Podkolzin is a real wild card, for certain. Though he still must be considered the consensus #3 (though not by much), there are several lottery teams which are desperate on the blueline and would lean towards picking Byram (DET, VAN, NJ), teams under pressure to compete very soon who might not want to wait 2-3 years for their lottery pick to come to North America (Edmonton, Colorado, Buffalo), and one team whose GM absolutely refuses to draft Russians (Anaheim). Thus, I see the most likely #3 overall pick being one of Byram, Cozens or Dach.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Sure -- it happened with Conor Timmins not long ago, and now Colorado has one of the highest-regarded defense prospects in the NHL.

@StevenToddIves: With Timmins and Makar in Colorado’s system, if all things are considered relatively equal by their scouting team, do you think they pick a forward over Byram if they have the third pick? Secondary scoring after their elite first line has been a problem

Hi, Avs fan here just browsing through this and the mock draft thread. Awesome reads btw! Just thought I'd chime in on this specific subject;

Wrt to Timmins, I don't believe he will effect our pick at #3 at all. If Timmins plays this coming fall, he will have gone almost a year and a half without playing a game in a critical time of his development after his concussion last year. In fact, many Avs fans belive we're into quality-of-life territory with him. Crossing our fingers he will be ready this fall and will carve out some kind of NHL career, but at this time nobody really knows.

In addition, both he and Makar are RD's, Byram is a LD. On the left side, we got Girard (thank the heavens for that little wizard) and Zadorov who are still quite young. Zadorov makes us all pull our hair out with his up and down performances, but the reality is the team has an eye-poppingly better record with him, than without him. With Barrie and Girard already on the team and Makar coming, Zadorov brings a necessary balance to the D-core (yes, just like your diet, the D-core needs a little bit of everything). However, he's a RFA this year, again, and the negotiations last year did not really go over well, so we're all a little bit on the edge about what will happen with him. If the negotiations go sour, the Avs might have an easier time picking Byram if he's neck-and-neck with someone else at #3.

Personally, I hope Zadorov stays and we pick a fwd if we're at #3/4. We're in dire need of a top-6 fwd. My favorite is Turcotte, but I trust the Avs scouting in the top 3, despite our horrendous scouting staff, which has easily been bottom-3 in the league since I started following the draft (2005), even with the vaunted 2009 draft.

PS. @StevenToddIves How in the world did the Rags mess up with the Kravtsov-pick last year? :huh: The only one I'd debate taking over him is Dobson and that's a very close call either way....

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hi, Avs fan here just browsing through this and the mock draft thread. Awesome reads btw! Just thought I'd chime in on this specific subject;

Wrt to Timmins, I don't believe he will affect our pick at #3 at all. If Timmins plays this coming fall, he will have gone almost a year and a half without playing a game in a critical time of his development after his concussion last year. In fact, many Avs fans belive we're into quality-of-life territory with him. Crossing our fingers he will be ready this fall and will carve out some kind of NHL career, but at this time nobody really knows.

In addition, both he and Makar are RD's, Byram is a LD. On the left side, we got Girard (thank the heavens for that little wizard) and Zadorov who are still quite young. Zadorov makes us all pull our hair out with his up and down performances, but the reality is the team has an eye-poppingly better record with him, than without him. With Barrie and Girard already on the team and Makar coming, Zadorov brings a necessary balance to the D-core (yes, just like your diet, the D-core needs a little bit of everything). However, he's a RFA this year, again, and the negotiations last year did not really go over well, so we're all a little bit on the edge about what will happen with him. If the negotiations go sour, the Avs might have an easier time picking Byram if he's neck-and-neck with someone else at #3.

Personally, I hope Zadorov stays and we pick a fwd if we're at #3/4. We're in dire need of a top-6 fwd. My favorite is Turcotte, but I trust the Avs scouting in the top 3, despite our horrendous scouting staff, which has easily been bottom-3 in the league since I started following the draft (2005), even with the vaunted 2009 draft.

PS. @StevenToddIves How in the world did the Rags mess up with the Kravtsov-pick last year? :huh: The only one I'd debate taking over him is Dobson and that's a very close call either way....

Thanks for your very knowledgable and interesting take.

I believe the main thing to consider with the Colorado Avalanche is that, due to their fleecing of Ottawa in the now-infamous Duchene deal, they have two picks to play with in the 2019 draft, one which is very likely to land them a franchise player in Jack Hughes or Kappo Kakko.

But we must consider the possibility that the Avs wind up picking 3rd or 4th, which is of course where all the intrigue begins in the 2019 draft. Though it would seem that the Avs need some fortifying in the prospect pool at LD, it has been widely reported that their foremost desire is to improve their secondary scoring behind the sublime trio of MacKinnon-Landeskog-Rantanen. Therefore, in the 3/4 slots, Colorado would be very difficult to predict. Byram would make sense, but so would Cozens/Podkolzin/Dach/Durcotte/Zegras/Krebs.

With most of these teams, you can cross off a name or two off this list at 3/4. For instance, Anaheim never drafts Russians, so we can safely assume they're not taking Podkolzin. Detroit and Vancouver are both desperate for D in the pipeline, so you can highlight Byram as a possibility, especially in Vancouver where Byram plays for the WHL Giants. Ray Shero has drafted extremely fast skaters as often as possible, so Kirby Dach might dip in the rankings while Turcotte, Zegras and Krebs could rise.

I think the unitary determining factor with Colorado is that they are competitive now, which might lead them to weigh in the favor of a prospect who can help them sooner. As Podkolzin has shown little interest in jumping to North America, maybe he is a less likely candidate for Colorado at 3/4.

If I had to do a draft dossier on Colorado, I would be able to draw a few peculiarities:
1)They are not afraid to draft highly from smaller developmental leagues. Two of their past three first-rounders (Makar, Jost) were from the BCHL and AJHL, plus they have two later round picks in those drafts from USHS teams (Clurman, Leivermann).
2)They draft less often from the CHL than most teams. Though in 2016 the Avs took a trio of players from the Q, they have only taken one CHL-er in the first two rounds (Timmins) since 2013.
3)They have increasingly been a draft presence in the Russian juniors -- taking three players from that system last year and another in 2017.

Personally, I would say that Colorado is in a more enviable position than any NHL team entering the 2019 draft. They already have a very good team, loaded with star talent. They have another surefire star ready to crack the team next season in Cale Makar, and have the best odds of adding another franchise player in Byram or Kakko. Plus, they still have their own first rounder, which can be used to draft another blue-chipper or be dealt on draft day for secondary scoring help (Kapanen? Nylander?) to a team with cap-woes which the Avs are free of. So, good luck!

P.S. I would have taken Wahlstrom over Kravtsov, but it was not a "bad" pick, per se, as it's close between the two. A bad pick was the Rangers taking Lias Andersson over Mittelstadt/Vilardi/Necas in 2017.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yes, but if Podkolzin is available from 10-12 (where they are likely picking)then they'd have to pick him. What they really need is a C with top line potential, and this draft seems to be full of them.
So you don't think Minnesota would take him at #3, if they won one of the lottery tickets.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Given the Kings tremendous ability to tank, I fully expect that we finish 29th. I fully expect that to mean to pick 5th or 4th. Just hope whoever jumps us leaves Byram on the board.

There is a very legitimate chance of Byram going #3/#4. Devils fans need to face this reality, especially since the highest odds right now have NJ drafting #5. I'm not too worried considering the Devils' options are getting a legitimate franchise player in Hughes or Kakko, getting a cornerstone #1D in Byram, or getting a stud #1C to pair with Nico in Turcotte/Cozens/Dach/Zegras. Even in the (not likely) scenario of the Devils taking Podkolzin or Krebs, they are getting a bluechip, top-line winger. I believe we need to stay positive.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It brings me so much joy that all of the Byram/Dach/Cozens/Zegras speculation is all worthless now. Now we focus on the 2nd round and our 3 picks. All D all the time

I will focus a bit less on the Cs available in the top 100 picks than I would have, but if the Devils see a very good one fall they should of course draft the "best available player".

Though the 2019 draft is a bot thin on D, especially on the right side, there should be some intriguing prospects available in rounds 2-4. I have written on these threads about how highly I regard Kelowna RDs Kaeden Korczak and Lassi Thomson. There are some high upside kids who could be available with like Antti Tuomisto and Slava Kolyachonok. I also think that winning Jack Hughes in the lottery increases the odds of the Devils taking one of his UD-NTDP teammates like Marshall Warren, Drew Helleson, Henry Thrun or -- especially -- a player I have written at length about in Case McCarthy, who is precisely the physical, shut-down D with skating mobility and smarts that the Devils organization sorely lacks.

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
As I constantly do, I've updated my top rankings. I will try to expand to a full top 50 at the beginning of May.

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Turcotte
5 Podkolzin
6 Zegras
7 Dach
8 Cozens
9 Krebs
10 Boldy
11 Caufield
12 Tomasino
13 Kaliyev
14 Soderstrom
15 Newhook

Looking forward to your top 50 when you can get it to us, I’m intrigued to see what you made of Dorofeyev (I see you had him going 31st in your mock). He’s a player I’m keeping an eye on for #34 possibly.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As I constantly do, I've updated my top rankings. I will try to expand to a full top 50 at the beginning of May.

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Turcotte
5 Podkolzin
6 Zegras
7 Dach
8 Cozens
9 Krebs
10 Boldy
11 Caufield
12 Tomasino
13 Kaliyev
14 Soderstrom
15 Newhook

Given NJ’s picks in the second round could we impress upon you for a top 60?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Turcotte
5 Podkolzin
6 Zegras
7 Dach
8 Cozens
9 Krebs
10 Boldy
11 Caufield
12 Tomasino
13 Kaliyev
14 Soderstrom
15 Newhook

man cozens falls again lol...did he run over your cat or something?

(you don’t have to respond, i’m kidding. i know the difference between most of these guys is razor thin anyway)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
man cozens falls again lol...did he run over your cat or something?

(you don’t have to respond, i’m kidding. i know the difference between most of these guys is razor thin anyway)

I'm a huge fan of Cozens -- as I am with any player I would rank top 10. Dach has impressed me slightly more (and every difference here is slight) in the WHL recent weeks. Most of his Cozens' slight slip is due to how impressed I've been with Trevor Zegras -- I think his upside is just electrifying.

My cat is fine though, thanks for your concern.

Reactions: longislanddevil

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
wasn't alex newhook previously ranked really high? like last year? what made him drop so far

I had Newhook as high as #10. His skating is just outstanding, maybe the best in the draft for anyone not on the US-NTDP. He's a great scorer with vision and smarts and a very good compete level. But, as I said, the 3-9 tier of this draft is extremely strong, and I'm still waiting for Newhook to justify getting in there. I have said that Newhook is a kid who can slip and make many teams regret passing on him, and I stand by that. He has upside as a high-scoring 1C at the NHL level.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I had Newhook as high as #10. His skating is just outstanding, maybe the best in the draft for anyone not on the US-NTDP. He's a great scorer with vision and smarts and a very good compete level. But, as I said, the 3-9 tier of this draft is extremely strong, and I'm still waiting for Newhook to justify getting in there. I have said that Newhook is a kid who can slip and make many teams regret passing on him, and I stand by that. He has upside as a high-scoring 1C at the NHL level.

Amazing a player with that sort of potential will perhaps slide out of the top ten.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
wasn't alex newhook previously ranked really high? like last year? what made him drop so far

I'd guess playing in the BCHL may make some wonder about how he'll fare in the next level. But I really like his potential, all the makings of a potential #1 center in the game today. For reference, I know Jost was a pretty high pick for the BCHL (can't remember if there was anyone higher/more recent than that) and he had 104 points in 48 games compared to Newhook's 102 in 53. Now, Jost also had a guy on his team with 116 points that year (in 8 more games) whereas Newhook was pretty much his team's offense, with the next leading scoring at 67 points.

I think the last time I did a ranking of sorts he was my #10, and that's probably the same today. Maybe he creeps in a spot or two earlier but there is a solid core of guys after Hughes and Kakko.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Amazing a player with that sort of potential will perhaps slide out of the top ten.

Well, there are a few questions about him which have not been raised about a similar prospect in this draft, Trevor Zegras. The "knock" on Newhook is that he plays in the BCHL against lesser competition and has not shown a similar dominance in tournament play against stronger competition. Whereas Zegras has been outstanding no matter who he is playing with or against. Though Zegras can be conceivably drafted anywhere in the 3-10 range, I think Newhook falls just outside of that range.It does not mean that Newhook is not a terrific prospect, it just means he still has a bit more to prove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad