STH TPA Renewal 2020

STH: Will You Be Renewing Your Season Tickets?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'm not sure why TNSE would look at building a new arena and the corresponding $350 - $450 M cost when it is far from a done deal Winnipeg is able to support a NHL team over the long term? Unless the province and city took on over 90% of the cost there is no way they would ever have a hope to earn back the cost outlay over multiple lifetimes.

I remember many years back some sort of cost-benefit analysis was done, to say expand the arena by a couple of thousand seats. Knowing that the extra seats would effectively be adding cheaper seats in the upper deck, it would take 25+ years for them to recoup the cost of the upgrade.

Getting that arena built was probably the cornerstone of Chipman's life, a generation-spanning accomplishment that won't be replicated again by him or his kids. Dunno how old you guys are, but it's likely I won't see a new arena in my lifetime.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
We renewed. Given today's news can't say I'm looking forward to shelling out the cash to watch another year of this disorganization and boring hockey that our coach has us play.

Was today's announcement after the deadline to renew, I ask cynically? :banghead:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Maybe I'm too vanilla on too many things but the Maurice extension wouldn't have weighed in on my decision to renew or not were we up for renewal this year. I mostly don't like it (don't think it was necessary at this time, though I genuinely think it was done some time ago and they were just waiting for a suitable time to announce) and don't think it was necessary. But the signing of a coach or a particular player wouldn't much weigh into my decisions about supporting the team. There are going to be bad years and players or coaches I don't like throughout the process.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Fascinating.
Kindle Deal of the Day:
618G%2Bv9oZIL.jpg

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Maybe I'm too vanilla on too many things but the Maurice extension wouldn't have weighed in on my decision to renew or not were we up for renewal this year. I mostly don't like it (don't think it was necessary at this time, though I genuinely think it was done some time ago and they were just waiting for a suitable time to announce) and don't think it was necessary. But the signing of a coach or a particular player wouldn't much weigh into my decisions about supporting the team. There are going to be bad years and players or coaches I don't like throughout the process.

Pretty much. If you're going to be a sports fan over the long haul, you know there's going to be some misery and the possibility of no championship. Like, ever. We might not ever win the cup. We'll go through several sets of rosters through the decades (hopefully) and several coaches. At some point you just watch hockey (or any sport) for the sake of enjoying the micro-events and displays of athleticism, and the social bonds that are created between your friends, family, and strangers too.

I feel no particular love or hate towards these players or coaches. My jerseys have no names on the backs, and they could trade/fire the entire team and I can't say I'd cry over anyone. I'm more about 'the team' conceptually, than I am about the individual components, who are all just mercenaries trying to make a living. I think the only way to keep sane as a sports fan is not to be too much of a fanatic. Just know there are going to be some losses, and don't get attached to the characters. Kind of like Game of Thrones.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Pretty much. If you're going to be a sports fan over the long haul, you know there's going to be some misery and the possibility of no championship. Like, ever. We might not ever win the cup. We'll go through several sets of rosters through the decades (hopefully) and several coaches. At some point you just watch hockey (or any sport) for the sake of enjoying the micro-events and displays of athleticism, and the social bonds that are created between your friends, family, and strangers too.

I feel no particular love or hate towards these players or coaches. My jerseys have no names on the backs, and they could trade/fire the entire team and I can't say I'd cry over anyone. I'm more about 'the team' conceptually, than I am about the individual components, who are all just mercenaries trying to make a living. I think the only way to keep sane as a sports fan is not to be too much of a fanatic. Just know there are going to be some losses, and don't get attached to the characters. Kind of like Game of Thrones.

or The Walking Dead. Maybe a more apt comparison. :laugh:

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
Season ticket holders are a committed group. Thick and thin. 5% here, 8% here. Whatever the cost, we are in.

Someone said Corporate is gonna take over the guys on the fence and make this good again. I say bull****. This was a 10 year old plan.

They will sell this franchise and reap the glory.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Season ticket holders are a committed group. Thick and thin. 5% here, 8% here. Whatever the cost, we are in.

Someone said Corporate is gonna take over the guys on the fence and make this good again. I say bull****. This was a 10 year old plan.

They will sell this franchise and reap the glory.

So this was a 20+ year long-term scheme by Chipman to bring in the Moose, establish a long history of being an ownership group that can support an NHL franchise long term (which was the issue when the first team left), build a new arena downtown, build blocks of office buildings and restaurants around the arena, do everything the NHL wanted in order to bring the NHL back to the city, only to sell the NHL team after 10 years to make some sort of potential profit?

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
So this was a 20+ year long-term scheme by Chipman to bring in the Moose, establish a long history of being an ownership group that can support an NHL franchise long term (which was the issue when the first team left), build a new arena downtown, build blocks of office buildings and restaurants around the arena, do everything the NHL wanted in order to bring the NHL back to the city, only to sell the NHL team after 10 years to make some sort of potential profit?

NOT HAPPENING!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

The city needed a new arena regardless of whether we got an NHL team. Downtown revitalization is a good investment, regardless of whether we retain our NHL team. I think few are cynical enough to think selling for profit was the long term plan all along but I do think they have always had an exit strategy in mind in case things had not worked out here as they hoped.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Just got the renewal email for my Moose mini pack...
Your seats for the 2020-21 Season are now available for renewal. After keeping our seat holder prices at par for the past two seasons, there will be a less than 5% increase for the 2020-21 season, resulting in a per-game per-ticket increase of $1.25, $1.00 and $0.75 respectively for our P1, P2, and P3 seat holders.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
We're regressing one set of seats as bob renewing the other. Does anyone know what happens to your Jets rewards points if you don't renew? Do they reset to zero?

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
We're regressing one set of seats as bob renewing the other. Does anyone know what happens to your Jets rewards points if you don't renew? Do they reset to zero?

I would think that your jets points remain whether you renew or not. You just don't earn new points for renewing, that is all. Non-STH can earn and redeem points as well.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Speaking of Jets Rewards...does TNSE post somewhere who wins their contests for transparency? I’ve never found this anywhere on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad