Stewart ...

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Do you think the Sabres are thinking about re-signing him at all? At most you are getting a 2nd round pick for him, and I think he fits in nicely with the rebuild. He's been on the score sheet a lot lately, is a good fighter, and very physical. We have tons of money to spend, and if you offer him a 4 year deal, what does it hurt for at least 2 years when they aren't going to be super competitive anyways?

Thoughts?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I've been on the fence. He's had a very nice stretch now but you can't let 10 games overrule the whole season. Then again most scorers are streaky.

ZeroPT*

I hope he doesn't get re-signed. He's having a good spell. Capitalize on it and get something for him. Boston has a **** ton of 2nds and a stupid GM. They'd give a 2nd for him.

Don't let his play fool you. He's not very good at all.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He's playing pretty good now, and that definitely coincides with his increased role. What is a 2nd round pick doing for us though? We have so many picks and prospects stockpiled already.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If he'd re-sign at a bottom 6 contract I'd look at him in UFA after we traded him.

Bps21*

I don't think he's thought about re-signing Stewart for one total second since acquiring him.

ZeroPT*

Considering they let both go for free I don't think they give a ****

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I have thought about Stewart for a bit and his inconsistencies, effort, etc. I disagree with you zero, he is a good player when motivated. The problem is one of motivation. And what I think his deal is, relates to whether he thinks he is an important player to the team or not. I think he needs to feel the love. He needs to think he is counted on and is a top six guy. The problem is that he is not a top six guy for a contender. But he could absolutely be a top six guy for us.

So similar to what somebody else proposed for a deal, I would still want to trade him this year, but I would absolutely consider signing him to a two year deal at like 4ish million in the summer, with the absolute intent to keep him on a top line, probably with Girgs and Ennis, for the sole purpose of letting him feel loved, put up ideal numbers for a year and a half and then trade him before he sulks when he realizes he will go back to the third line when the team is actually good and we know which prospects work and what trades we make.

Now that's a pipe dream. Rehabilitate his image, trick some poor sucker into giving us a first for him in two years. The Miller trade! It never stops giving!

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Trade Stewart and all the other UFAs you can.
If both parties are interested they can talk in the summer.

Unless they go on a tear in the playoffs, I doubt there are many teams seriously interested
in signing Stewart or Stafford to new deals that are outside the range of what Buffalo would consider.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I like Stewart and I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back in the offseason. However, it is almost certain that he'll be traded now and then Murray will evaluate all free agents available in the offseason.

I do think that a competent top nine center is a much bigger need than a scoring winger next year, and there are only so many top nine spots to go around with Reinhart, Grigorenko, and hopefully McDavid/Eichel coming up next year.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He can be traded and still get re-signed in the summer. They're not mutually exclusive things.
Exactly.

He's playing pretty good now, and that definitely coincides with his increased role. What is a 2nd round pick doing for us though? We have so many picks and prospects stockpiled already.
See above.

Trade Stewart and all the other UFAs you can.
If both parties are interested they can talk in the summer.

Unless they go on a tear in the playoffs, I doubt there are many teams seriously interested
in signing Stewart or Stafford to new deals that are outside the range of what Buffalo would consider.
Exactly.

Trade him to playoff contender, offer him a deal in offseason, and also say you'd like to know of any other offers he is entertaining.

@dasaybz
If re-signed in offseason, I would not do a 4-year deal for a 27yo.
Options:
A) 1-year, match other team's offer, remind him he'll get chances for higher line play in BUF. Keep him motivated.
B) 2-year deal.
I save 4-year deals for younger players with Stewart's same incomplete skill set, or younger players on higher trajectories, or veterans with greater skill sets, or veterans who are better leaders.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Exactly.

See above.

Exactly.

Trade him to playoff contender, offer him a deal in offseason, and also say you'd like to know of any other offers he is entertaining.

@dasaybz
If re-signed in offseason, I would not do a 4-year deal for a 27yo.
Options:
A) 1-year, match other team's offer, remind him he'll get chances for higher line play in BUF. Keep him motivated.
B) 2-year deal.
I save 4-year deals for younger players with Stewart's same incomplete skill set, or younger players on higher trajectories, or veterans with greater skill sets, or veterans who are better leaders.

This could be Stewart last "big" pay day in the NHL. I think an NHL team will give him security with a longer term in UFA. Id be surprised if he took a 1 or 2 year deal.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Adious Stewart. Please.

I cannot fathom the love-in for this guy. He was non-existent for the first 41 games (other than when endeavoring to establish himself as the give-away king of the team) but finally has a swell offensive stretch and he's a keeper?

Anyone notice that he's only had this swell offensive stretch since being gift-wrapped every opportunity possible to showcase his offense and that during this same stretch everyone from mgmt down has been ignoring the big white elephant (aka: Stewart's wholesale inability to contribute positively to the bottom line). Presumably with the hope other teams don't realize that he's useless if not given 1st line/unit minutes and magically protected from having ANY defensive responsibility.

Seriously 11pts in 41 games. Then the next stretch, averaging 17:43, he balloons up to 22 pts so that he's now -30 on 22pts. That is NEGATIVE 30 on a measly 22pts. Take away his 9 pp points and he's got 13 points to show for 52 games. Heck, let him keep the 9 pp points and I still gotta wonder how any team rationalizes that he is useful to the bottom line.

It's not all in the +/- of course and it's easy enough for a guy to rack up the negatives playing a stretch of bad games or when lined up with a combo that doesn't fit well. I mean, maybe it's not all Stewart right?

But it is. In every stat I can find.

Give-Away King leads all forwards by with 26 (2nd place dubious honors goes to Moulson at 15).

He's -49 on his career, including 3 seasons he was negative double digits (-10, -18 and now -30) and the best he's ever been was +4 on 64 points. WOW. a 64pt guy ends up only +4? Hmmm...

Most recently we've seen the Stewart affect with his move from being routinely lined up with Hodgson to being routinely lined up with Ennis/Girgensens. During this showcasing stretch Hodgson's +/- has stabilized, while poor Ennis & Girgensens... Poor Ennis, poor Girgensens.

Okay, I get that Stewart is fun to watch when he's on his game and I get it that it's great to see some goal scoring (I was actually advocating the Moulson/Stewart swap a few days before it happened), but there comes a point when the points are meaningless if the other team is persistently getting more.

So, get rid of him. Word on the street is that he's not exactly known for being consistently on his game, and according to what we've seen this year (and backed up by his historical results), apparently Stewart being consistently productive equates to Stewart costing his team even more points against.

Get rid of him, please. Besides, if Kane is anything alike the worst of his personality being yakked about, we don't need to have a Stewart around too.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I'm in on re-signing him. No long term commitment, but maybe a two year deal. See if he can get some consistency going. If it doesn't work out, he'll be off the books soon enough anyways so no harm done.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Negative -30 on a measly 13 ES points to account for 52 games in a top-six role is possibly ideal for this season.

However, those (common to Stewart) results only do harm next season - presuming the objective is actually win a few games.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
As I agree that a 2nd doesn't do us a lot of good - I'd be tempted to try and move him to a bottom half playoff team or a bubble team for a younger enigmatic player, or a young 'underachiever'...

Couple ideas...

To VAN: Chris Stewart
To BUF: Zack Kassian

To BOS: Chris Stewart
To BUF: Ryan Spooner/Jordan Caron

To CGY: Chris Stewart
To BUF: Joe Colborne

Then of course offer him 3yr/$11-12M AAV deal on July 1st to come back and play a heavy vet presence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad