Stewart - Bernier - Tambellini

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think Tambellini will probably be the better player of the three. He might be a bit on the smallish side (he's listed as 5'11 tall, 186 pounds), but he has speed, great hands, and can take the hitting. He's also a smart player and is just a very good player in general. Los Angeles is doing the right thing by letting him develop in the minors. He currently has 34 points in 29 games with the Monarchs. He's going to look good on a future line with Dustin Brown. Who knows, maybe LA will try Frolov at center and have a line of Brown/Frolov/Tambellini in the future.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Don't let their AHL stats fool you, Tambellini is on the better team where everyone is hot right now. Tambellini is the better skater, but Bernier has better hands. Now if the Kings and Sharks could just get these two into a Seth Brundel Fly machine and clone the end result a few times.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think Bernier has the most upside of the group. He's big, he's very fast and he has high-end skills. He could be a top-line forward. But I think he'll prove to be the least of these three (still a good second liner, though) because I have reservations about his consistency.

Stewart will be the best all-round player of this group. He's big, strong, skates very well for a player with his build, loves to throw his size around and he's got very good skills. He was, for my money, the best player at the 2004 WJC as an 18-year-old. I project as a solid, consistent, second line power forward, with that consistency separating him from Bernier.

As for Tambellini: I love his speed and his shot. He's a very talented scoring winger. However, I have some concerns about his consistency, as he has been very streaky at times, especially in college, and sometimes he doesn't always showcased a pure finishing touch. I think he has the potential to be a Geoff Courtnall type.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Stewart was considered the steal of the 1st round coming out of the 2003 draft, but i think thats where he should of gone. He will be a good second liner, the best all round player out these three but his upsides interms of scoring is a little less.

Concerning Bernier, i thought he had dropped of the map. Ive heard nothing about him recently.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
J17ster said:
Stewart was considered the steal of the 1st round coming out of the 2003 draft, but i think thats where he should of gone. He will be a good second liner, the best all round player out these three but his upsides interms of scoring is a little less.

Concerning Bernier, i thought he had dropped of the map. Ive heard nothing about him recently.

You're looking at youre own prsopect through rose colored glasses friend - Stewart is actually the worst of the three - and that's being objective. Bernier is doing fine considering Cleveland is mired in a franchise relocation circus and losing season. For Tambellini in Manchester, life couldn't be better. But make no mistake, Stewart isn't in the same class as these two.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rush5Collapse5 said:
You're looking at youre own prsopect through rose colored glasses friend - Stewart is actually the worst of the three - and that's being objective. Bernier is doing fine considering Cleveland is mired in a franchise relocation circus and losing season. For Tambellini in Manchester, life couldn't be better. But make no mistake, Stewart isn't in the same class as these two.

I said all round player. His upsides are of a second liner, and its pretty likely he will end up being one. I said his upsides in terms of offence are the worst of the three.
Stewart also has falling stock because he is injured right now, and wont be back before olympics from what ive heard. Who knows what he may have done in the AHL.
Same class? Tambellini and Bernier arent going to be superstars, they may well end up being better than Stewart and probably will but the difference isnt that much.

Haik

Feb 11, 2005
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
I think Tambellini will probably be the better player of the three. He might be a bit on the smallish side (he's listed as 5'11 tall, 186 pounds), but he has speed, great hands, and can take the hitting. He's also a smart player and is just a very good player in general. Los Angeles is doing the right thing by letting him develop in the minors. He currently has 34 points in 29 games with the Monarchs. He's going to look good on a future line with Dustin Brown. Who knows, maybe LA will try Frolov at center and have a line of Brown/Frolov/Tambellini in the future.

No need to move Frolov to center. We have Kopitar and Boyle to center the top 2 lines in a few years. :yo:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Tambellini was never streaky in college. He broke his wrist and missed some time and had a hard time putting up points that year. Hardly streaky.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
Rush5Collapse5 said:

The only thing that is limiting stewart is himself. He has all the physical tools, size, strength, speed and a really good shot. All the skills that can make him a good player in the NHL. The question is his drive and motivation to be an elite player. If he can dedicate himself then he is right there. Most definately he is in the same class as those two. And i am not even a florida fan. And quite frankly i love the other two players, especially Bernier.

X-SHARKIE

I like all three prospects here. But i've seen the most of Bernier via webcast, tape, live ect. So here are some thoughts. Teal shaded glasses alert!

Bernier's really developed his whole game since being drafted. His physical game is the most improved, he is a devastating hitter and has done it frequently.

His playmaking and vision are a huge asset, and he gets no credit for it.

My thing though, is that he loves to sit in front and he has elite in close finishing ability. By that I mean if he's less then 6 feet from the front of the net with the puck, he can finish as good as anyone.

His hands are also very good.

He is still inconsistant shift to shift, and that is the real draw back at this time.

I see a top six power forward in him, and his development has done nothing but improve those odds.

Chartrand

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Don't let their AHL stats fool you, Tambellini is on the better team where everyone is hot right now. Tambellini is the better skater, but Bernier has better hands.

Tambellini isn't on a good team.

He IS the team.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I like all three prospects here. But i've seen the most of Bernier via webcast, tape, live ect. So here are some thoughts. Teal shaded glasses alert!

Bernier's really developed his whole game since being drafted. His physical game is the most improved, he is a devastating hitter and has done it frequently.

His playmaking and vision are a huge asset, and he gets no credit for it.

My thing though, is that he loves to sit in front and he has elite in close finishing ability. By that I mean if he's less then 6 feet from the front of the net with the puck, he can finish as good as anyone.

His hands are also very good.

He is still inconsistant shift to shift, and that is the real draw back at this time.

I see a top six power forward in him, and his development has done nothing but improve those odds.

As much as it burns me to say this, I concur with this. Bernier still lacks consistency but at least he's shown that he will do what is asked of him. He has the potential to be a pretty good power forward with very good playmaking skills, but where he ends up remains to be seen.

Tambellini is going to awesome. His shot and skating are already NHL-calibre (actually, his shot is possibly already NHL All-Star material). But he doesn't really hit and needs to learn the defensive side of the game, which given the Kings' track record of bringing up forwards won't be a problem.

Between the two of them right now I would take Tambellini hands down, but I think Bernier could end up being the slightly more dominant player in say 5 years.

Have not seen much of Stewart at all.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I saw Bernier play against the Moose in Winnipeg and I was shocked at how slow footed he was. He's got great size and soft hands but is slow as hell. Will really need to pick up his footspeed if hes going to make it to the NHL

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
AHL MV said:
Tambellini isn't on a good team.

He IS the team.

He's second in scoring on his team that is second in their division, while Bernier is second on his team in scoring but they're second to last in their division.

I've seen these two both play when called up for a handful of games, Bernier with a goal in 5 games and some excellent self created opportunities (hit the pipe with a great move in traffic), while Tambellini didn't score. Not to knock him, but there was a reason Bernier was drafted ahead of both of these guys. Bernier has the hands, but like I said - I wish he had Tambellini's wheels.

-

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Rush5Collapse5 said:
He's second in scoring on his team that is second in their division, while Bernier is second on his team in scoring but they're second to last in their division.

I've seen these two both play when called up for a handful of games, Bernier with a goal in 5 games and some excellent self created opportunities (hit the pipe with a great move in traffic), while Tambellini didn't score. Not to knock him, but there was a reason Bernier was drafted ahead of both of these guys. Bernier has the hands, but like I said - I wish he had Tambellini's wheels.

-

Size was also a factor. Otherwise Tambellini would have been drafted either ahead or just below Bernier.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Scottkmlps said:
And you're not??

How so?

Evidence suggests all that I've claimed. Tambellini is the better skater and Bernier has better hands. Like Bernier, Stewart is physical, and like Tambellini he can skate, but unlike Bernier or Tamebllini his point production isn't there.

Did I miss anything?

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Rush5Collapse5 said:
How so?

Evidence suggests all that I've claimed. Tambellini is the better skater and Bernier has better hands. Like Bernier, Stewart is physical, and like Tambellini he can skate, but unlike Bernier or Tamebllini his point production isn't there.

Did I miss anything?

Well, for starters, Stewart actually isn't particularly physical. He didn't hit much in minor hockey or in the OHL and, presumably, that trend has continued in the pro's. Physically, he is much closer in style to Eric Daze than he is to Todd Bertuzzi. Although my observations of Bernier are limited, I would say Stewart is probably the more skilled player. (of all 3) Anthony is very, very skilled. Unfortunately, the guy is horribly inconsistent and seems to lack motivation. Which is a shame given his immense skill and physical stature. (the guy is an absolute beast, he just doesn't play like it) If he can put it all together he has the highest upside of the three. But I don't think he ever will.

In a bit of a peculiar situation, Tambellini - the smallest player - is actually the safest pick. He has the tremendous speed, is a smart all around player and has a blistering shot. Skillwise, he is the least talented of three. (with respect to creating their own offense, stickhandling etc.) That notwithstanding, if he finds himself with the right linemates, his speed/shot may enable to put up the biggest #'s.

Truthfully, I have seen the least of Bernier. But from what I gather, he has less innate ability than Stewart but appears to be a safer bet to reach the potential. (although still a riskier proposition than Tambellini)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
willie said:
Well, for starters, Stewart actually isn't particularly physical. He didn't hit much in minor hockey or in the OHL and, presumably, that trend has continued in the pro's. Physically, he is much closer in style to Eric Daze than he is to Todd Bertuzzi. Although my observations of Bernier are limited, I would say Stewart is probably the more skilled player. (of all 3) Anthony is very, very skilled. Unfortunately, the guy is horribly inconsistent and seems to lack motivation. Which is a shame given his immense skill and physical stature. (the guy is an absolute beast, he just doesn't play like it) If he can put it all together he has the highest upside of the three. But I don't think he ever will.

In a bit of a peculiar situation, Tambellini - the smallest player - is actually the safest pick. He has the tremendous speed, is a smart all around player and has a blistering shot. Skillwise, he is the least talented of three. (with respect to creating their own offense, stickhandling etc.) That notwithstanding, if he finds himself with the right linemates, his speed/shot may enable to put up the biggest #'s.

Truthfully, I have seen the least of Bernier. But from what I gather, he has less innate ability than Stewart but appears to be a safer bet to reach the potential. (although still a riskier proposition than Tambellini)

No no no, definitely not. Bernier is anything but safe. He has monster upside; the highest amongst the three of tehm, but he is a risky pick. Overall, I would say the order is Tambellini, Bernier, and then Stewart.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
No no no, definitely not. Bernier is anything but safe. He has monster upside; the highest amongst the three of tehm, but he is a risky pick. Overall, I would say the order is Tambellini, Bernier, and then Stewart.

Don't get me wrong, I realize Bernier is anything but safe. But neither is Stewart. Granted, Stewart's strength and skating will make him a plug in the NHL regardless of whether he reaches his potential or not. Bernier, on the other hand, may very well never make the NHL with any regularity.

But when it comes to actually reaching their upside as a first line forward, I believe Bernier is the safer possibility. Quite simply, despite his talent, I don't think Stewart will ever become a top-line forward. I think he is the kind of player who will always have talent but consistently languish wherever he is. I don't know if it is lack of motivation, heart, or just lack of hockey sense but something is just not right with Stewart. Conversely, I actually think Bernier will reach his potential and be a quality top-6 forward in the future.

And I completely disagree with the assertion that Bernier's upside is higher than Stewart. Stewart is built like a freight train and - although it will never be his role - could conceivably be one of the best heavyweights in the NHL. Not only that, the guy has IMMENSE skill. Feel free to disagree but I believe he has the most skill of the three. When you look at Stewart's raw gifts - hypothetically - he could become one of the most dominant players in all of hockey. But he just can't seem to put it all together.

X-SHARKIE

Bernier isn't that risky, he'll always have a role in the NHL. He was impressive in the NHL, and I expect him to be a top six winger. He's been great in the AHL too.

He doesn't look that slow to me as long as he keeps his feet moving, he tends to coast at times.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
personally, I wish we picked up Stewart instead of Tambellini, but hey, if Tambellini is getting props over Stewart, all the more power to him. Never really saw too much of Stewart, but I would imagine someone with his skill and size, you can't really go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->