Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think this was the plan all along, I think after Holland refused to take the promotion Yzerman took the TBL job but intended to return at the point it was possible. So you can argue this was their next best alternative to keeping Yzerman in house, but I seriously doubt this was planned.

There is no way that this was planned. People ***** that Holland and ownership can’t see past the next year and they can’t be trusted with empty cap space because they might use it on the wrong things... but they were able to engineer a half decade long succession plan with a guy in another organization.

Which, holy ****, tampering much? When Steve left in 2010, he was gone from their succession plan. He’s potentially part of it again because of his choice to come home, not because the Wings orchestrated it.

Reactions: Fynn

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Didn't Holland just recently say that the DRW's would like to add to the staff? My hope is Holland stays at GM (I hope he stays here, he is a GM through & through) and Y becomes a president next year

If Yzerman comes back to the front office and isn't the GM, while Holland maintains the job, I'm going to flip so many tables. You'll be astounded at just how many tables can be flipped when you have nothing to lose. You're going to be all, "Oh no, where will I sit down to eat? How will I build my model ship? My D&D campaign is at a standstill! Bench flipped literally every table in the great state of Michigan."

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So this was the plan all along now? Lol Everything was the plan for every reason!

This plan was about as deliberate and masterful as this guy's plan of getting into the pool.

giphy.gif

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Generally speaking, what's the percentage of people who think this has been the rough outline of the plan all along? Stevie gets half a decade experience as a GM in Tampa, does a decent to good job, and at the end of Holland's run as a GM comes back. The organization and Holland has known exactly how long he was going to stay, and if this wasn't something they shared with Stevie while he was still in the front office I'd eat my boot.

It always seemed a bit odd that they'd let Nill and Stevie and Bowman all go without having some kind of succession plan behind Holland, and now it seems like they had one.

I would guess it was “the hope” more than it was “the plan”.

Too many variables involved to have all your eggs in that basket as your plan.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Worthless article. That tells me nothing that the press conference didn’t say. Nothing about a plan to join the Wings is in that article

The article is merely relaying that a CBS Tampa Bay sports reporter has said, and I quote, "When home comes calling, it’s tough to say no. Reports indicate Steve Yzerman will join the Red Wings after the season."

It's basically saying those with access to the teams and their ears on the ground are hearing Yzerman is going to Detroit. Obviously nothing is official, because neither organization is willing to comment on that yet.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But didn't the Japane....?
Haha, yeah. That's the joke. It's a scene from Animal House. Immediately after he says it, one guy whispers to another, "Germans?", and the whispered response is, "Forget it. He's rolling."

I would've linked the YouTube video, but the scene contains profanity.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I would guess it was “the hope” more than it was “the plan”.

Too many variables involved to have all your eggs in that basket as your plan.
Yes, there is a certain bit of trying to make everything Holland does look like genius. That's how you end up suggesting he is actually engaging in a stealth tank. It's the only way to explain how a genius GM went from a top 5 franchise to a bottom 5 franchise. Holland has had a hall of fame career but it's pretty clear there have been some major problems with the franchise for the past decade or so that have led us to our current position at the bottom of the league.

With that being said I do think there was the hope that Yzerman would go run his own franchise to continue his growth and perhaps somewhere down the line he could come back and run the Wings. I remember some of Jimmy D's comments when Yzerman first took the GM job and Develano said something about building the franchise the right way over taking short cuts. Yzerman has done that extremely well in Tampa. If he does come back to Detroit I don't think anyone in Tampa would have anything bad to say about Yzerman. That franchise is pretty well set for the time being but will obviously have to make some tough decisions as they push up against the cap and need to re-sign their own players.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Haha, yeah. That's the joke. It's a scene from Animal House. Immediately after he says it, one guy whispers to another, "Germans?", and the whispered response is, "Forget it. He's rolling."

I would've linked the YouTube video, but the scene contains profanity.

Oh, sorry. I knew the joke. That's why I cut off halfway through the words. I forgot that the question was "Germans?"

I'm familiar with Animal House.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Man, I dunno about anything else, but I'd be ecstatic if he was willing to come back in just about any role. Whether that leaves KH or Hunter or Draper or someone as GM with Yzerman as President or something else, I think it's a step in the right direction.

And while it may not have gone great for Trammell or Dumars, I think bringing Elway back in Denver has gone pretty well, if nothing else, in terms of rescuing the team from the McDaniels doldrums, and even in spite of some recent rough edges, he still has pretty strong support around town. *shrug*

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'm keeping my excitement in check. There could be another angle at play in Tampa or with Yzerman. The prospects look good but I want to keep from getting burned if what we desire is not what's playing out before us.

I can understand why people are becoming excited but I'm not about to put the cart in front of the horse. If it happens, it happens. And I believe it's far more plausible than any Seattle speculation.

In addition, I think it was more important for Yzerman to have success outside of Detroit. He has acknowledged that he used Dumars as a blueprint and understands just how the perception can change as it's a results oriented business.

But much like Alan Trammel, any and all missteps will shortly be forgiven due to past accomplishments.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
A couple different golf courses.

Not sure what I will do with the username to be honest. Zetterberg is a really special player to me.
A couple different golf courses.

Not sure what I will do with the username to be honest. Zetterberg is a really special player to me.
Didn't you have a different username before Z was made captain? I'm trying to remember but I can't recall what it was.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Would be some very good news to hear in 1-2 years of him coming back to take over the reigns of GM. Hope it happens after he gets his required respite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad