Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Sorry, not contributing much to the actual topic here, but I have to say... this board is often so negative I just tune out most posts, and it was pretty cool to see this thread where people were having fun and were excited... and then it degraded into negative debating again. ::lame::

I realize people argue on the internet, but damn just gotta say it's pretty heavy on this board from my perspective most of the time...

At any rate, it would be really cool to get Yzerman back.. it would on paper seem to align very well with the re-build timing. It could be motivation for our youth and free agents as well, kind of a enthusiasm kickstarter for the future.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The Rooney Rule? Okay you are completely out of it. You must be a Lions fan. Hmm, let me see our options are Kris Draper or Steve Yzerman. Real tough decision there. The only way there will be an interview process will be if Yzerman is legitimately taking a step back and is not ready to be a GM again. That's the only scenario where he is not our next GM.

But if you want to think Stan Bowman, and David Poile are going to drop everything to interview for a lateral move to Detroit then have fun with that.

And? That's the way you should operate it. In the scenario where Yzerman comes here, it's because he wants to. He won't be slighted that you talked to Mark Hunter first or you had an interview with Draper before you got to him. Steve isn't an idiot. He'll have seen Tram come back and get run out on a rail. Dumars come, get run out on a rail.

Jkuts was just saying that the Rooney Rule existed because teams would go into an offseason with a list of like two or three coaches they were trying to hire and would never look elsewhere. While this wouldn't be a Rooney Rule like thing, I understand not wanting to want one outcome or the world ends.

Interviewing other candidates in addition to Yzerman isn't being PC. It's doing your **** job as an executive. Maybe Yzerman left Tampa because he was beat down and tired and he doesn't want to travel so much. Maybe they interview Mark Hunter and he BLOWS THE DOORS off the interview. Maybe they interview Mark Hunter and say "well, you're aware that we want Yzerman to run the show but maybe you'll be alright with being an AGM to the best in the business. Hell, or if Yzerman really wants to chill out, you hire him as team president or something and hire a guy like Hunter to be his lieutenant as the GM.

But no, let's lock in on one possibility and if that possibility doesn't happen, we're ****ed. That seems like a stable and sustainable plan.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hmm, let me see our options are Kris Draper or Steve Yzerman. Real tough decision there.
If those are the only candidates, and you have zero interest in either person outside of hiring them as a GM, then sure. But that's not how real life works.

I get it. Yzerman would be a great hire, and the odds of anybody else coming out of an interview process as a better candidate are nearly zero. But are you saying that Detroit couldn't possibly get anything worthwhile out of interviewing Kris Draper, and hearing his vision for the franchise? Or listening to what a Paul Fenton would say about scouting, or how Mark Hunter would steer player development? C'mon.

The bigger the job, the less the interview is actually about the job, and the more it's about the person. Good companies look for good people, and test them in different situations to get the best out of them, by learning their strengths and playing to them. So why not bring in any reasonably qualified minds you know of, talk to them about topics beyond just what they have already done, and see if you find a great fit somewhere in the organization (either now or down the road)?

For a specific example, let's say Holland goes to Seattle. And manages to bring Tyler Wright, Kris Draper, and Shawn Horcoff with him. Are you saying that the only way you could possibly replace those guys is by interviewing for Head of Scouting, Assistant GM, and Director of Player Development, and only talking to people who have a great track record at already doing those jobs?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Sorry, not contributing much to the actual topic here, but I have to say... this board is often so negative I just tune out most posts, and it was pretty cool to see this thread where people were having fun and were excited... and then it degraded into negative debating again. ::lame::

I realize people argue on the internet, but damn just gotta say it's pretty heavy on this board from my perspective most of the time...

At any rate, it would be really cool to get Yzerman back.. it would on paper seem to align very well with the re-build timing. It could be motivation for our youth and free agents as well, kind of a enthusiasm kickstarter for the future.

People are going to have different opinions, if you take an opinion that is different as yours as negative, that's on you.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
People are going to have different opinions, if you take an opinion that is different as yours as negative, that's on you.

I mean, it is a little reductive and aggressive to state "We get Yzerman or it's a colossal failure for us".

It is silly to go into a negotiation with a guy where you and he know that he is quite literally your only option.

E: When you KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt that if Yzerman came here and was just okay as a GM that most of the guys stumping loudest for him right now would be the ones out in front of the cavalcade of pitchforks to get him tossed out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
When you KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt that if Yzerman came here and was just okay as a GM that most of the guys stumping loudest for him right now would be the ones out in front of the cavalcade of pitchforks to get him tossed out.
As if that could possibly happen on an internet message board...

Start playing Sproul and Kindl already! Replace the veteran bums on this roster!
Sproul and Kindl are bums! Replace them already! :D

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
As if that could possibly happen on an internet message board...

Start playing Sproul and Kindl already! Replace the veteran bums on this roster!
Sproul and Kindl are bums! Replace them already! :D

I know right, I'm just being crazy.

Hell, if I'm Yzerman, I say thanks but no thanks to the job. He's got super legend status. Nothing he can do will increase his good will here, so it's quite literally a no-win scenario for him. If he wins a Cup, it's quite literally expected of him.

Reactions: Fynn

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I know right, I'm just being crazy.

Hell, if I'm Yzerman, I say thanks but no thanks to the job. He's got super legend status. Nothing he can do will increase his good will here, so it's quite literally a no-win scenario for him. If he wins a Cup, it's quite literally expected of him.
Fair point. Tough to know what makes a guy tick, but if he comes back to the Wings, I'd imagine that it was his hope from the moment he left. Building his resume, maybe even occasionally being pleasantly surprised with how successful some of his moves turned out, but always keeping tabs on his personal "White Whale" in the back of his mind, hoping all the moving pieces lined up to finally get that shot with Detroit.

Or I suppose it's also possible that right now he just really wants to chill out around the house, but after a year of being away from management, he gets the itch again, and there's his alma mater, right in front of him.

But I like the story about the meticulously planned course of events better. It fits a professional like Stevie Y, known for his incredible drive and a shrewd mind.

Mike Puck

Feb 10, 2015
Swe
Wow the day Stevie comes home will be the best thing that happened to this organization since they drafted D&Z. It's just matter of time.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm not going to sit around and expect him to be the new GM, but it's definitely not a no win situation. Organizationally, he's stepping back for sure and expectations will certainly be high, but the wins are obviously personal to him, more quality of life based, and Steve Yzerman isn't the type of man to fear expectations.

He baffled the hockey world yesterday, throwing all of our reasons he would never leave Tampa out the window.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I mean, it is a little reductive and aggressive to state "We get Yzerman or it's a colossal failure for us".

It is silly to go into a negotiation with a guy where you and he know that he is quite literally your only option.

E: When you KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt that if Yzerman came here and was just okay as a GM that most of the guys stumping loudest for him right now would be the ones out in front of the cavalcade of pitchforks to get him tossed out.

But he wouldn't be the only option, he would be the best option.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013

Durk, nice straw man. Just to clear up your confusion, I was not saying that 'opinions different than mine = negativity'. I was saying that negativity is negativity. I hope that helps.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Durk, nice straw man. Just to clear up your confusion, I was not saying that 'opinions different than mine = negativity'. I was saying that negativity is negativity. I hope that helps.

People are hypersensitive around here these days, myself included, so every minor disagreements are looked as if it is negative.

Example: I don't think Cholo will be more than a #4 defenseman. That's not negative, it's an opinion (btw, this isn't my opinion, just an example), but someone will look at that like they're bashing the kid. Same with the Yzerman stuff, I don't view anyone's comments in this thread as negative, just some people are really excited and some aren't convinced.

Reactions: njx9

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
People are hypersensitive around here these days, myself included, so every minor disagreements are looked as if it is negative.

Example: I don't think Cholo will be more than a #4 defenseman. That's not negative, it's an opinion (btw, this isn't my opinion, just an example), but someone will look at that like they're bashing the kid. Same with the Yzerman stuff, I don't view anyone's comments in this thread as negative, just some people are really excited and some aren't convinced.

Oh, I don't mean to say it like I'm not excited. I'm over the moon that he might be available. But I just don't want to get my hopes up until it's real. And even when it's real... I want the Wings doing their due diligence. I know Yzerman is the best option, but if you go in with the mindset "get this guy or we're boned", it's not a good thing for your organization.

And a lot of the hypersensitivity has come around because of a lot of needless harping on even the most insignificant of moves.

I would just be wary if I was him seeing what the Detroit area has done to favorite heroes from the past who did a good job somewhere else.

Reactions: Fynn

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Generally speaking, what's the percentage of people who think this has been the rough outline of the plan all along? Stevie gets half a decade experience as a GM in Tampa, does a decent to good job, and at the end of Holland's run as a GM comes back. The organization and Holland has known exactly how long he was going to stay, and if this wasn't something they shared with Stevie while he was still in the front office I'd eat my boot.

It always seemed a bit odd that they'd let Nill and Stevie and Bowman all go without having some kind of succession plan behind Holland, and now it seems like they had one.

they couldn't have blocked nill, stevie and bowman from leaving even if they wanted, though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Generally speaking, what's the percentage of people who think this has been the rough outline of the plan all along? Stevie gets half a decade experience as a GM in Tampa, does a decent to good job, and at the end of Holland's run as a GM comes back. The organization and Holland has known exactly how long he was going to stay, and if this wasn't something they shared with Stevie while he was still in the front office I'd eat my boot.

It always seemed a bit odd that they'd let Nill and Stevie and Bowman all go without having some kind of succession plan behind Holland, and now it seems like they had one.

I could underline this.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Oh, I don't mean to say it like I'm not excited. I'm over the moon that he might be available. But I just don't want to get my hopes up until it's real. And even when it's real... I want the Wings doing their due diligence. I know Yzerman is the best option, but if you go in with the mindset "get this guy or we're boned", it's not a good thing for your organization.

And a lot of the hypersensitivity has come around because of a lot of needless harping on even the most insignificant of moves.

I would just be wary if I was him seeing what the Detroit area has done to favorite heroes from the past who did a good job somewhere else.

I agree with you there, but I think when you have a successor in mind (if you want to play conspiracy theorist) you don't go out and interview other people. While Blashill didn't work out, he was the clear successor to Babcock and I don't think any amount of interviews would have changed that.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013

Thanks for the thoughtful and non-escalating reply. :)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
But he wouldn't be the only option, he would be the best option.
Yes, there was a conversation on this very board regarding who would likely replace Holland and consensus seemed to decide the best candidate was Kris Draper. And this wasn't just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks, this was from Craig Custance who is a legit hockey writer. Then we find out that Steve Yzerman is likely going to be the next guy. You go from a complete unknown (I like the way he sounds during interviews) to one of the best possible candidates on any objective measure.

Now if you're response is "that's nice, get in line to interview" well that's...interesting. I didn't even complain about the lack of interviews when Blash was given the job, but that was mostly because I suspected he would tank the organization and aid in the rebuild. So in that case he was the perfect guy. A guy like Gerard Gallant would have made the organization more successful but that would have limited our ability to eventually compete at the highest levels.

Hopefully we can get Gallant at some point. And yes, in that scenario I don't want to interview anyone else. If we can get him then you bring him back to Detroit and let him and the Captain run shit. :yo:

Reactions: StNickFan

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Other organizations have been picking off Red Wings management and coaches for over a decade. It's time to start picking back.

Reactions: Henkka

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Didn't Holland just recently say that the DRW's would like to add to the staff? My hope is Holland stays at GM (I hope he stays here, he is a GM through & through) and Y becomes a president next year

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yes, there was a conversation on this very board regarding who would likely replace Holland and consensus seemed to decide the best candidate was Kris Draper. And this wasn't just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks, this was from Craig Custance who is a legit hockey writer. Then we find out that Steve Yzerman is likely going to be the next guy. You go from a complete unknown (I like the way he sounds during interviews) to one of the best possible candidates on any objective measure.

Now if you're response is "that's nice, get in line to interview" well that's...interesting. I didn't even complain about the lack of interviews when Blash was given the job, but that was mostly because I suspected he would tank the organization and aid in the rebuild. So in that case he was the perfect guy. A guy like Gerard Gallant would have made the organization more successful but that would have limited our ability to eventually compete at the highest levels.

Hopefully we can get Gallant at some point. And yes, in that scenario I don't want to interview anyone else. If we can get him then you bring him back to Detroit and let him and the Captain run ****. :yo:

That's crazy. Maybe Yzerman chafes about being manager under Chris Illitch and not Mr. I. Maybe his style doesn't work in Detroit because he doesn't have the Tampa sun and no state income tax that lets him sign guys to 2-3M less valued contracts.

Yzerman is fantastic and I want him here. But it is silliness to say "NOPE NOT TALKING TO ANYONE ELSE NOPE NOPE NOPE STEVIE Y OR WE FOLD UP SHOP." and even more on Gerard Gallant. Who's to say that his coaching method would work in Detroit? Work with the players we have and will likely acquire? It is literally insane to not consider any options beyond your first one.

I'm not suggesting an exhaustive search like the Lions did aftyer Mayhew and Lewand got fired. But holy ****. You don't go to your one choice that you have, hat in hand, begging them that "oh please could you come and save our team". It's a G-D business. Act like it.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I don't think this was the plan all along, I think after Holland refused to take the promotion Yzerman took the TBL job but intended to return at the point it was possible. So you can argue this was their next best alternative to keeping Yzerman in house, but I seriously doubt this was planned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad