Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So before Holland signed his current deal, Yzerman was one good candidate among many. (And there were even some posters here claiming he was overrated.)

Now that he might actually be coming here in a year or two, he's a man amongst boys, and Detroit would be insane to go after anybody else.

I realize that, in that interval, he made the Conference Finals again and signed Kucherov to a great deal. And I'm not saying he isn't a great option, because he absolutely is one. But let's pump the brakes on anointing him as the only possible guy for the job, at least until there's a list of names to begin with.

Conducting an honest search isn't a disservice or insult to Yzerman, should he become officially available. It's called due diligence...and if nothing else, it might unearth one or more excellent candidates for other positions on the staff that Detroit might not otherwise consider.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is going to be a shadow hanging over Holland all season. It will be interesting if he has any comments.

Not really, we know about Holland to Seattle. Easy transfer of power.

This has been a message around the team for a while. Yzerman never moved and we always knew the pull was serious. Glad he is hopefully only a year away. I hope he brings Verbeek back.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This has been a message around the team for a while. Yzerman never moved and we always knew the pull was serious. Glad he is hopefully only a year away. I hope he brings Verbeek back.

It's funny how I found an article about Yzerman selling his 3 million Tampa house on last August (which Dan Girardi did buy), and at same time came those rumors about Holland wanting a Seattle job...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Yzerman were to come back and take over the team, I'd hope he'd poach some of the scouts there to come with him, Tampa Bay's amateur assessments are very, very good, and I'd love to have some of those minds here with him.

His were ours to begin with by and large. I will not feel bad about targeting them. One of the more interesting problems was I always thought the Ilitch family let him take a little too much. I understood, they view him as a son. Heck it is a part of what makes a lot of this a promising potential reality.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's funny how I found an article about Yzerman selling his 3 million Tampa house on last August (which Dan Girardi did buy), and at same time came those rumors about Holland wanting a Seattle job...

I have never known him to own more than a condo in Tampa. He has a house down in Naples, FL. I have run into him a few times down here. But it has been out for years he never sold his house. I know several people that have been on the same flights out of Tampa or Ft Myers with him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I thought it was interesting Jimmy D said he had no idea he was stepping down today... not sure if that is true or not.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
His were ours to begin with by and large. I will not feel bad about targeting them. One of the more interesting problems was I always thought the Ilitch family let him take a little too much. I understood, they view him as a son. Heck it is a part of what makes a lot of this a promising potential reality.
I was thinking that too, what's fair is fair.

Also, where'd you run into him, TZE?

Also, TZE, I didn't consider this until now, but you're going to need a new username soon, huh? :(

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So before Holland signed his current deal, Yzerman was one good candidate among many. (And there were even some posters here claiming he was overrated.)

Now that he might actually be coming here in a year or two, he's a man amongst boys, and Detroit would be insane to go after anybody else.

I realize that, in that interval, he made the Conference Finals again and signed Kucherov to a great deal. And I'm not saying he isn't a great option, because he absolutely is one. But let's pump the brakes on anointing him as the only possible guy for the job, at least until there's a list of names to begin with.

Conducting an honest search isn't a disservice or insult to Yzerman, should he become officially available. It's called due diligence...and if nothing else, it might unearth one or more excellent candidates for other positions on the staff that Detroit might not otherwise consider.
Wow, I cannot believe you are doubling down on this. It's pure lunacy.
  • He's built a Stanley Cup contender.
  • He's done very well in free agency.
  • Done an excellent job managing the cap while being competitive
  • His drafting has been excellent.
  • He gets the culture in Detroit.
  • He's had a lot of success making trades.
And you're thinking you can possibly find a more qualified candidate? This isn't to say it's a guarantee he will do as well here as he's done in Tampa, it's just acknowledging you are not going to get a more qualified candidate. The most likely reason he's stepping down right now is because he's going to take over in Detroit, not just so he can interview for a job. It's absolutely mind-boggling that you think this is the case.

Reactions: odin1981

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
<--- Could it finally be happening?!
Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Last edited:

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018

Come on man. I can't believe what I just read.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wow, I cannot believe you are doubling down on this. It's pure lunacy.
  • He's built a Stanley Cup contender.
  • He's done very well in free agency.
  • Done an excellent job managing the cap while being competitive
  • His drafting has been excellent.
  • He gets the culture in Detroit.
  • He's had a lot of success making trades.
And you're thinking you can possibly find a more qualified candidate? This isn't to say it's a guarantee he will do as well here as he's done in Tampa, it's just acknowledging you are not going to get a more qualified candidate. The most likely reason he's stepping down right now is because he's going to take over in Detroit, not just so he can interview for a job. It's absolutely mind-boggling that you think this is the case.
I never said that I (or anybody else) could find a better candidate. I even specifically said he very well could be the right guy for the job.

But making "an obvious hire", and completely bypassing the interview process along the way, is a very fanbois way to run an organization. (It's also what led to sports leagues developing things like The Rooney Rule.) Assuming you have the time and resources to conduct an organized search, those GM interviews can also lead to surprise candidates for assistant GM, player personnel positions, scouting positions, and more.

I'm not saying Detroit should take six months to consult The Dalai Lama. I'm saying it's common sense to talk to at least a handful of people, and if nobody else has blown your doors off, go ahead and give Yzerman the job. (And maybe you've still managed to find one or more other good people to join the organization.)

Reactions: SirloinUB

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Come on man. I can't believe what I just read.

Jkuts is just saying that you don’t go in with Yzerman as options 1-6 and let other worthwhile candidates get snapped up if Yzerman is just coming home to be close to his wife. And if you can get something like Yzerman + Hunter + some other smart hockey minds by talking to them, you try it.

Don’t put all the eggs in the Yzerman basket with blinders on. He’s not saying don’t go after him... just don’t lock in so hard on him that you miss an awesome opportunity if he decides the travel is too much still

Reactions: jkutswings

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
While maybe he is coming back to Detroit to be GM, it could also be that after 8+ years of being away from his family he actually wants to be closer to them and maybe hockey all together. It will certainly be exciting if he comes back, but if he wants to be done, that is more than fair for him. That he leaves before his final season with a great roster is really odd timing, if it is just about coming back to the Red Wings, although as others have pointed out, maybe ownership wanted a replacement in place before he leaves and Stevie turned down an extension.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Couple thoughts from this LONG time Wings fan (who's paid a lot less attention to the DRW in recent years - as evidenced by the avatar):

- watching the short Lightning presser it's crazy how much Yzerman has aged in 8 years as GM; boy he has worked his ass off as an executive
- Yzerman is one of the top 5 GMs in the league today and this has nothing to do with 'nepotism' - just look at his track record in terms of draft, RFAs/UFAs, cap management and player development
- Detroit and Wings fans would be so, so lucky if he decided to come home in a year or two.

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
I got super excited after even seeing the title on the main boards. I instantly got the "Stevies coming home" feeling. Lets see what happens and hopefully we get some more information on Stevies future plans as the season goes on.

Golden thread from Bolts board from this summer: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-that-yzerman-will-leave-for-detroit.2493005/

My favorite quote is: "Face it, nobody actually goes home in the NHL. It's all media hype." - Right before Tavares leaves for the Leafs and now Yzerman presumably leaving for Detroit.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I love TBL's scouting director Al Murray.

And I wouldn't be surprised, if Holland takes Kelowna-buddy Tyler Wright also to Seattle.

he's arguably the best amateur scout in the business. which is kind of impressive since so far ('11 to '15 drafts) his first picks have been busts or disappointements. 2013 with drouin is the only draft where their first pick is their best player from the draft and that was #3 and they passed on seth jones.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Generally speaking, what's the percentage of people who think this has been the rough outline of the plan all along? Stevie gets half a decade experience as a GM in Tampa, does a decent to good job, and at the end of Holland's run as a GM comes back. The organization and Holland has known exactly how long he was going to stay, and if this wasn't something they shared with Stevie while he was still in the front office I'd eat my boot.

It always seemed a bit odd that they'd let Nill and Stevie and Bowman all go without having some kind of succession plan behind Holland, and now it seems like they had one.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Anything other than Yzerman would be a colossal failure for DRW. We don’t need to be PC. Give Yzerman the keys and be done with it.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
But making "an obvious hire", and completely bypassing the interview process along the way, is a very fanbois way to run an organization. (It's also what led to sports leagues developing things like The Rooney Rule.) Assuming you have the time and resources to conduct an organized search, those GM interviews can also lead to surprise candidates for assistant GM, player personnel positions, scouting positions, and more.
The Rooney Rule? Okay you are completely out of it. You must be a Lions fan. Hmm, let me see our options are Kris Draper or Steve Yzerman. Real tough decision there. The only way there will be an interview process will be if Yzerman is legitimately taking a step back and is not ready to be a GM again. That's the only scenario where he is not our next GM.

But if you want to think Stan Bowman, and David Poile are going to drop everything to interview for a lateral move to Detroit then have fun with that.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The Rooney Rule? Okay you are completely out of it. You must be a Lions fan. Hmm, let me see our options are Kris Draper or Steve Yzerman. Real tough decision there. The only way there will be an interview process will be if Yzerman is legitimately taking a step back and is not ready to be a GM again. That's the only scenario where he is not our next GM.

But if you want to think Stan Bowman, and David Poile are going to drop everything to interview for a lateral move to Detroit then have fun with that.

We can go through the process, interview Mark Hunter, Draper, Yzerman, whoever else. But we all know the consensus will be Yzerman because he's the most qualified and best candidate. This isn't like Quinn waiting to hire Patricia before Patricia has had any success anywhere else. Yzerman has already proven his worth, same reason why the Leafs didn't interview anyone and hired Babcock. At some point actors don't need to audition anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->