Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
What does?
Winning the Stanley Cup is obviously the object of hockey, but you can get really hot and go on a run and win a cup, being the best team in hockey is partly record, partly roster, partly power play and penalty kill numbers, and part statistics. Tampa was probably the best team last year and was one game away from the finals last year, the Capitals were hotter and hungrier. No one has the Capitals pegged for a repeat this year despite not losing any key players. And that's for good reason.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I think there is zero chance he sits 2 years... Ok I'm sucked in, I'll be surprised if he wasn't our GM/President/Owner/Daddy lol at the start of the 2019-2020 Season

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Winning the Stanley Cup is obviously the object of hockey, but you can get really hot and go on a run and win a cup, being the best team in hockey is partly record, partly roster, partly power play and penalty kill numbers, and part statistics. Tampa was probably the best team last year and was one game away from the finals last year, the Capitals were hotter and hungrier. No one has the Capitals pegged for a repeat this year despite not losing any key players. And that's for good reason.
All that being said I can’t say any team is better than the current champs. The season hasn’t even started yet. Capitals as of today are the best team in hockey...

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Stanley Cup? Nope
Most regular season points? Nope
Conference championship? Nope
Sustained success? Nope

I can clearly see why people think they're the best team

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Stanley Cup? Nope
Sustained success? Nope

Tampa made the conference finals, what, four of the last five years? That's sustained success. They had two players in the top 12 in points, a Norris winning defenseman, a Vezina finalist, the most goals in the league last year, third best power play, if they weren't the best team, they were definitely in the top 3 with Nashville and Winnipeg, so.

The best team doesn't always win the Stanley Cup. Look at us in 2009, or hell, the Canucks in 2011. Shit happens.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Bolts fan, I come in peace (and pieces)....

If your owner does not sign Yzerman after this season, you should fire your owner.

Good luck....the NHL has gotten nutso again.
Steve Yzerman is bar none my favorite hockey player of all time, and a major reason I began watching the sport. He is also a highly successful general manager.

Having said that, I only want him to become the GM/VP/king of the Wings if it's as a result of turning over every rock on the planet, and declaring him the best candidate among many.

If Detroit does a thorough search for the best guy to continue the rebuild, and The Captain is the man, that's tremendous, and I'll celebrate from the rooftops. But regardless of how good he's been in running Tampa Bay, I don't want a token interview to bring home a hero, without making damn sure he's the best guy to bring another Cup(s) here.

Reactions: Fynn

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Stanley Cup? Nope
Sustained success? Nope

What is your point with this...?

Do you think he’s a bad GM? Or are you just stirring the pot to stir the pot?

Reactions: Syckle78

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
I never thought there would be a reason for him to come back to Detroit. All risk, no reward. He’s already a legend in this town, winning wouldn’t really enhance that. Losing might tarnish it a bit.

That said, my thoughts have changed. I think Holland has drafted well enough that there are some solid pieces in place and more on the way. We know they are going to suck this year and a top 5 pick is likely. Only real downside is the fact that Ottawa and Montreal are also in the Atlantic so they have to find a way to come up short in a bunch of “must lose” division games.

Already for the 2019 draft they have a 1st, a pair of 2nds. Conservatively they should be able to add 2 or 3 additional picks in the top 100 by moving Nyquist, Vanek and Howard at the TDL or sooner.

Add to that the fact that the Wings will have approx $28M in cap space next off season with no major RFA obligations and you should expect to see a serious influx of talent on opening night 2019.

Perhaps something along the lines of

Mantha-Duchene/ Seguin- Zadina
Rasmussen- Larkin- Hughes
AA- Nielsen- Svechnikov
Abdelkader- Glendenning- Lil Bert

Hronek- Karlsson/ T. Meyers
Cholo- DDK
Green- Ericsson

??
Bernier

I can dream right?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What is your point with this...?

Do you think he’s a bad GM? Or are you just stirring the pot to stir the pot?
Not sure why people like to hate on Tampa Bay. I mean, they singlehandedly made Luke Glendening a household name. ;)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Steve Yzerman is bar none my favorite hockey player of all time, and a major reason I began watching the sport. He is also a highly successful general manager.

Having said that, I only want him to become the GM/VP/king of the Wings if it's as a result of turning over every rock on the planet, and declaring him the best candidate among many.

If Detroit does a thorough search for the best guy to continue the rebuild, and The Captain is the man, that's tremendous, and I'll celebrate from the rooftops. But regardless of how good he's been in running Tampa Bay, I don't want a token interview to bring home a hero, without making damn sure he's the best guy to bring another Cup(s) here.

He is the best available candidate by a damn country mile. The only guy to give me hesitation would have been Paul Fenton who's in Minnesota now, or David Poile, who isn't going anywhere, SO.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I don’t think he becomes the GM off of the bat.

I think he takes it slow and spends time with his family and that’s been long overdue. Who knows - he might be done with hockey all together.

I’m one of the few who doesn’t mind Kenny. But it’s hard to not get excited about Stevie coming home. I think Holland is a good GM, and he’s a great one when polishing up a team. I think Stevie is a great GM for propping up a team and finishing. Which is what this team needs right now. Hopefully, when and if he becomes the gm here, he’ll actually still be at the helm with a Cup.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I feel like the earliest he'll be GM is when Hollands contract expires in two years. That is IF he even returns.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Yzerman were to come back and take over the team, I'd hope he'd poach some of the scouts there to come with him, Tampa Bay's amateur assessments are very, very good, and I'd love to have some of those minds here with him.

I love TBL's scouting director Al Murray.

And I wouldn't be surprised, if Holland takes Kelowna-buddy Tyler Wright also to Seattle.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
I love TBL's scouting director Al Murray.

And I wouldn't be surprised, if Holland takes Kelowna-buddy Tyler Wright also to Seattle.
Would love to see Jamie Pushor in Detroit, the current Director of Pro Scouting in Tampa. I know he really pushed for Yanni Gourde. I'd imagine he was integral in the Sergachev trade, as well as the McDonagh/Miller deal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Congratulations Detroit. You’re going to be in good hands when Yzerman comes home.

Thanks.

I never stopped believing to be honest. Really.

The Captain is coming home. We just know it, even though it wont be published at least for a year.

Steve Yzerman is an asset in nowadays NHL cap world. He gets UFAs join, wins trades and makes extension caphits with a discount. He is also the biggest PR signing Detroit could ever imagine. Stevie hasn't win a Cup, but he was perfect for every Team Canada job he joined and his work at Tampa has been phenomenal to watch. He has now graduated. He went there to make his "University degree", and I've seen enough his wonderful moves and his desire to win, how he just outworks other GMs, like did outwork opposite teams out as a player.

To be honest, I've never been happier as a Wings fan than today, since our last Stanley Cup. Because everything is gonna change. Holland has made a good start for a rebuild and Yzerman is gonna complete it. Everything is set in stone.

If Detroit Red Wings would be in a stock market, our value would have rised 50% today.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

No interview necessary. If Yzerman wants the job, he gets it. There is no way any global head hunt will find somebody head and shoulders above Yzerman given his track record with TB, his Team Canada stuff away from the Wings let alone his deep, storied connection to the franchise.

It's a no-brainer hire.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Oh my please be true! Never even thought it was a possibility that he would leave Tampa with everything they have going. If he becomes Detroit's GM and leads them back to the promised land the city of Detroit needs to proclaim him Eternal Dear Leader.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

LOL. You realize that prior to today the most likely guy to eventually replace Ken Holland was Kris Draper? You couldn't get a more qualified person to actually make the move. You conduct searches when you don't have a qualified candidate. If Yzerman is basically signaling that he's coming back to Detroit all you can do is thank your lucky stars. The end.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Wow, Didn't think he'd actually leave till he won a cup in Tampa. Still, not saying it's set in stone or anything but Red Wings at this point would be nuts not to "promote" or move Holland into upper upper management senior advisor role/president. If need be though Red Wings can easily just eat his deal/money and "fire" him if that's the cost of getting Yzerman.

Real cool for Red Wings fan if he does come back and become GM of this team.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
This is all very strange timing. Hopefully it's not health related.

But let's assume it's not...the only way it makes sense to me is if:

1) Brisebois was garnering interest from other teams.
2) Tampa didn't want to be left without either of them so gave Yzerman the option to either sign long term with them, or step aside so Brisebois can have the job now
3) Stevie didn't want to stay long term.

After that the question is why did he not want to stay long term. And the only two answers I can think of are he doesn't want to be a GM at all anymore, or he wants to come back to Detroit.
This is correct.

There is no way he's not the next Wings GM.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->