Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yea I know they are weird but I wanted to see what it would look like if we separated our best 3 forwards. I really hope we can acquire or bring up a top 6 RW. Maybe Katchouk or Raddysh steps up in training camp and they cant let one of them back to Syracuse.

Joseph and Volkov are probably closer. I'd like to see what Volkov does in his second camp.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Joseph and Volkov are probably closer. I'd like to see what Volkov does in his second camp.

Yea I forgot about these guys as well. I think one of them will be given a legit shot to make the team. We need to find another threat at RW. Preferably someone who can set up Stamkos besides Kucherov.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
It's probably been said here, but I don't care to comb through 276 pages of posts. My buddy showed me a stat the other day. Stamkos is scoreless in game 7's. I don't remember if he has no assists or goals, but he definitely has no goals in any game 7 he's been in in the NHL.

That, to me, is crazy. Hard to call the guy not clutch, seeing as he set our OT goal record, and is just about a point per game in the playoffs. But those are the moments we need the superstar to step up.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's probably been said here, but I don't care to comb through 276 pages of posts. My buddy showed me a stat the other day. Stamkos is scoreless in game 7's. I don't remember if he has no assists or goals, but he definitely has no goals in any game 7 he's been in in the NHL.

That, to me, is crazy. Hard to call the guy not clutch, seeing as he set our OT goal record, and is just about a point per game in the playoffs. But those are the moments we need the superstar to step up.
He doesn't have a single point in any kind of elimination game since 2011.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Hes never been a guy to put a team on his back even in the regular season. Stamkos is a great offensive weapon and a great guy, that is about where it stops with him. Hes ok 2 way. Not a liability in that area so thats good. I think his passing can be bad. His decision making can be bad. I mean hes done well in those two areas before it is just not consistent and downright bad sometimes. The bad part is that he tries to be that kind of player when hes clearly not.

And this is part of why I want to get Kucherov away from Stamkos. I see Kucherov trying to be like the bad Stamkos. Poor passes and decisions. Both guys need to use what is so great about them more, their shot. I would like to see a good puck distributor to play with them and watch their goals and points go. Point I think plays really well with Kucherov. Was kind of shocked we didnt put these two together in the last couple of games. We need another MSL type skill player to play with Stamkos and those guys dont just grow on trees.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kucherov's worst habit is being too cute sometimes but this is amplified when playing with Stamkos this is because Kucherov holds Stamkos in too high of a regard when he's actually the better player. This wasn't the case with MSL who was in more of a mentor role, MSL would hammer it into him to shoot everytime he passed it to him. You could see MSL calling people out on the bench, Stamkos needs to do that to Kucherov but he's certainly not as vocal or assertive as MSL.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kucherov's worst habit is being too cute sometimes but this is amplified when playing with Stamkos this is because Kucherov holds Stamkos in too high of a regard when he's actually the better player. This wasn't the case with MSL who was in more of a mentor role, MSL would hammer it into him to shoot everytime he passed it to him. You could see MSL calling people out on the bench, Stamkos needs to do that to Kucherov but he's certainly not as vocal or assertive as MSL.
MSL was very respected and more like a coach, a playing coach, who was almost always the best player out there on top. Hard to find another player like him, let alone demand relatively young players like Kucherov to act like him especially around older and "more established" players like his captain Steven Stamkos. Kuch will get frustrated at times, yes, but mostly because he himself messed up. Very rarely you will see him get agitated because of a bad play of one of his teammates. And I've never seen him get riled up because Stamkos messed up (which happens a lot).

There were stories of Marty regularily discussing game plans, team strategy and drills with coach Boucher at practices. Very heated discussions at times even. Find me another player in the NHL right now who 1) does that, 2) does it well and 3) won't get punished and tossed out by his coach for it.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
It was and is a bad move. He's the noose around the Lightning's neck. It's hard when the guy who is supposed to lead the charge can't get it done.

It would have been outside box, but in retrospect the Lightning would have been better off using the $$$ elsewhere.

And he's still not a center. But hey, he wants to play center, so whatever the good ol' Canadian boy wants.

Reactions: Black and Blue

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It was and is a bad move. He's the noose around the Lightning's neck. It's hard when the guy who is supposed to lead the charge can't get it done.

It would have been outside box, but in retrospect the Lightning would have been better off using the $$$ elsewhere.

And he's still not a center. But hey, he wants to play center, so whatever the good ol' Canadian boy wants.
He has played his whole career as a center so I'm pretty sure he indeed is a center.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
No and no.

He should be Brett Hull and nothing more. He's not a complete enough player to have as your number one center on a Stanley Cup Champion.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
No and no.

He should be Brett Hull and nothing more. He's not a complete enough player to have as your number one center on a Stanley Cup Champion.
He does not have to be our 1C as we already have a center who's better than him.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I will take Stammer at 8.5 over JT at 11 any day. Stamkos even scores more and has a higher ppg average. The Stamkos signing compared to JT91 is a great deal.
Stammer
GPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Career66434832066826440126238354982,08816.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Best Season
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tavares
GPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Career669272349621-42307832133642112,11012.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Best season
NYI82384886
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Master P and berlin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Before Tavares landed in Toronto, I thought it would make sense for the Lightning to swap in Tavares and swap out Stamkos. Stamkos is a fantastic sniper and I've historically liked him better as a goal scoring machine, but I think Tavares comes closer to being a high impact guy in different situations in the playoffs, sees more touches with the puck, can play the grind game, transition, etc. and can score garbage goals in close.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tavares > Stamkos. Tavares at 11 is probably pretty even value with Stamkos at 8.5.

Tavares makes his linemates better. Stamkos needs linemates to excel.

The one worry I'd have with Tavares is his skating 3-4 years from now. But, for the time being, this is scary for Atlantic teams. It's the second/third best 1-2 in the league and very likely the best 1-2-3 (kadri).

Reactions: Stammertime91

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Tavares > Stamkos. Tavares at 11 is probably pretty even value with Stamkos at 8.5.

Tavares makes his linemates better. Stamkos needs linemates to excel.

The one worry I'd have with Tavares is his skating 3-4 years from now. But, for the time being, this is scary for Atlantic teams. It's the second/third best 1-2 in the league and very likely the best 1-2-3 (kadri).

True but our D and G situations are muuuuuuuuch better than the Leafs so I'm still not afraid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad