Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
After scoring his 19th and 20th goals of the season yesterday, Steven Stamkos is now in the top 100 for players with 20 goal seasons.

Untitled.jpg

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Stammer scores #417. Next few guys in front of him are all former bolts. Director of player personnel Bill Barber, former Lightning assistant coach Steve Thomas, and ex-bolts Stephane Richer and Vinny Lecavalier.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Is anyone else concerned with this injury? His play hasn’t been great and it’s a big year for us in the playoffs.

I have a feeling he will be a “non factor” when we really need him to be a “factor”

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
While the team has shown they can step up and win without him, they are much better with him in the lineup.

he still gets alot of attention from other players and can open up the ice for other players, he can still manage to "get lost" in the o-zone and get a good shot or scoring opportunity. A lot of PK's like to cheat and stay close to him for the onetimer which can open up someone in the slot.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

an update on the NHL's all time goal scoring list:

69 Rick Nash437
Pavel Bure437
71Eric Staal436
72Vincent Damphousse432
73Dave Taylor431
74Alex Kovalev430
75Bill Guerin429
76Yvan Cournoyer428
77Brian Propp425
78Steve Shutt424
79Steven Stamkos422
Owen Nolan422
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

The suggestion that they "stepped up" in 2016-'17 when they ended up missing the playoffs altogether is strikingly disingenuous. Even without Stamkos, that team was more than good enough to make the playoffs and it was an embarrassment that they fell short. Made even worse when you see which team from the Atlantic bracket ended up making a deep playoff run.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We just have Boston's number, either the Flyers or the Islanders will be a lot harder. Definitely think we'll need him for the next series to win, scoring depth is going to be key.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
We just have Boston's number, either the Flyers or the Islanders will be a lot harder. Definitely think we'll need him for the next series to win, scoring depth is going to be key.

You know, I just can't agree. I mean, I can see the Islanders because of Trotz and because they play a similar game to the Jackets, but regardless, I don't think either of these teams is as good as the Bruins. And I know what you're suggesting - that it's a matchup thing more than a skill thing - but I can't concern myself with that, personally. If we get past the Bruins, I 100% us to beat whoever we face next. This isn't quite 2018 where our ECF was going to either be the Penguins (x2 defending Cup champions) or Capitals (who have had our number for pretty much Ovechkin's entire career). We're better than both of these teams, and I don't even think it's particularly close.

If we win this series and fail to win the next, that's a spectacular failure. From where we stand right now - up 3-1 in this series - there's literally zero excuses to not reach the SCF at this point. Zero.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
He will do wonders for us in the faceoff and power play department should he be able to come back (hopefully). It sucks that we don't even know if he is skating or not but at least he is still in the bubble.

Reactions: Danythegod

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You know, I just can't agree. I mean, I can see the Islanders because of Trotz and because they play a similar game to the Jackets, but regardless, I don't think either of these teams is as good as the Bruins. And I know what you're suggesting - that it's a matchup thing more than a skill thing - but I can't concern myself with that, personally. If we get past the Bruins, I 100% us to beat whoever we face next. This isn't quite 2018 where our ECF was going to either be the Penguins (x2 defending Cup champions) or Capitals (who have had our number for pretty much Ovechkin's entire career). We're better than both of these teams, and I don't even think it's particularly close.

If we win this series and fail to win the next, that's a spectacular failure. From where we stand right now - up 3-1 in this series - there's literally zero excuses to not reach the SCF at this point. Zero.

It's a matchup thing, Boston dusted Columbus and still struggled this year despite then getting much weaker. Without Stamkos and McDonagh our roster is a bit better than the other 2 teams but we've spent all these guys constructing a power house roster it sucks if it doesn't get utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad