Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
This would be more profound if the ENTIRE team didn't also implode. Esspecially with the other players also having career years.

He did have maybe the best, most well rounded year of his career. Then he just instantly fell off a cliff? Again, this would be more legitimate if the entire team didnt ALSO fall off a cliff. How the hell does that happen? That's the strange part.
I mean Stamkos has never had good playoffs, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt even if everyone else sucked as well. The guy is just not a good playoff player.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I mean Stamkos has never had good playoffs, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt even if everyone else sucked as well. The guy is just not a good playoff player.
This is accurate. However, this years playoffs was a huge anomaly. Both can be true. They are not mutually exclusive.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well I dont feel bad for Stamkos because he was the captain of this team and he should be blamed for the mental softness of this team as much as Coop is. Didnt see him on the bench trying to get guys going. Seen other teams captains do it before. I love how Stamkos turned his game around this season but still as a Captain he needs to be better.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Well I dont feel bad for Stamkos because he was the captain of this team and he should be blamed for the mental softness of this team as much as Coop is. Didnt see him on the bench trying to get guys going. Seen other teams captains do it before. I love how Stamkos turned his game around this season but still as a Captain he needs to be better.
I also agree with this. I think Stamkos does deserve part of the blame as the captain.

However, I also believe it to be true that an entire team full of professional athletes should not have to rely on another person to get them mentally prepared for adversity. These are all men that have traveled a long way to get to this point. The "best of the best" if you will. They should all be personally responsible first and foremost for their own mental preperation.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I also agree with this. I think Stamkos does deserve part of the blame as the captain.

However, I also believe it to be true that an entire team full of professional athletes should not have to rely on another person to get them mentally prepared for adversity. These are all men that have traveled a long way to get to this point. The "best of the best" if you will. They should all be personally responsible first and foremost for their own mental preperation.

I've been vocal about the whole team sharing the blame, however I just feel that Stamkos as a Captain needs to be better. I do agree that they shouldn't need that voice considering all they have done together but sometimes guys need a push and that is what the captain is there for. It was clear these guys had no idea what to do. Even though it was clear Coop and Stamkos were stumped as well, you still are the guys the team looks to the most. Would have liked to see some emotion from those two. Maybe could have sparked the team.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I've been vocal about the whole team sharing the blame, however I just feel that Stamkos as a Captain needs to be better. I do agree that they shouldn't need that voice considering all they have done together but sometimes guys need a push and that is what the captain is there for. It was clear these guys had no idea what to do. Even though it was clear Coop and Stamkos were stumped as well, you still are the guys the team looks to the most. Would have liked to see some emotion from those two. Maybe could have sparked the team.
Well, to be fair again, there are NO emotional fiery guys on this team. Vinny wasnt that guy, but he had Marty, Dinger and Boyle among others.

Which is why this team needs some take no shit, energy guys.

Reactions: Hoek

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well, to be fair again, there are NO emotional fiery guys on this team. Vinny wasnt that guy, but he had Marty, Dinger and Boyle among others.

Which is why this team needs some take no ****, energy guys.

Well maybe getting swept now after such high expectations will either spark some guys in the room or maybe JBB goes out and gets a guy to do that. Was clear we were missing that. I just dont know how we go a full season and win that many games without one. People are right about one thing, that natural talent on the team is through the roof. The heart of these guys seems nonexistent after a showing like that. Clearly talent doesnt matter as much in the playoffs.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is accurate. However, this years playoffs was a huge anomaly. Both can be true. They are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, but at the same time, we're pointing fingers at all our star players right now. Kucherov and even Point have certainly taken their share of heat on this board. The only guy immune is Hedman, because, well, he looked like they dragged him out of a coma and forced him to play. So Stamkos has to catch some heat too, especially since he's never really had the kind of post-season he needs to solidify himself as an all time great.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Yeah, but at the same time, we're pointing fingers at all our star players right now. Kucherov and even Point have certainly taken their share of heat on this board. The only guy immune is Hedman, because, well, he looked like they dragged him out of a coma and forced him to play. So Stamkos has to catch some heat too, especially since he's never really had the kind of post-season he needs to solidify himself as an all time great.
That's why I said: "this is accurate." He deserves some blame.

Reactions: DFC

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Who says he wont? He was also our best faceoff guy all year.
It’s well documented he doesn’t want to switch. The only playoff goal he scored was on Cirellis wing.

Yes he’s improved at face offs and deserves credit for that. He can still take them on the wing. His defense is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->