Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
His play tonight, just ****ign awful. There's nothing that can explain it except that's what a player who can't handle pressure looks like.

Until a cup win, his career will be defined by that "assist" to Panarin.

Come on. It was an empty net, and a weird play. I'm not above criticizing Stamkos, but to say his career will be defined by that play is a bit much.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Come on. It was an empty net, and a weird play. I'm not above criticizing Stamkos, but to say his career will be defined by that play is a bit much.

Stamkos will never get full recognition for any of his regular season accolades with the playoff history he has, and that game and play was the cherry on top. Look at Thornton the guy has nearly 1500 career points far above anyone in his era and its still criticized because of a couple playoff struggles and no cup.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Stamkos will never get full recognition for any of his regular season accolades with the playoff history he has, and that game and play was the cherry on top. Look at Thornton the guy has nearly 1500 career points far above anyone in his era and its still criticized because of a couple playoff struggles and no cup.
Stamkos is my favorite player, and this is true. Guy went on a tear this year, but it is all for nothing.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
His peak as a Captain was the first day he stepped out of the tunnel out of the trade deadline. Downhill ever since.
Should never give stars the C, imo. There's literally no upside to it. Leave it for the Dave Andreychucks and Tim Taylors of the world.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Should give Cirelli the C. Don’t see why not. Stamkos should just focus on scoring a goal every now and then.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Not sure what good it does trying to pin things on individual players, whether it be Stamkos, McD, Kuch, etc..... The entire team was a let down. Need a new voice behind the bench. It was obvious that the players had tuned cooper out. Need to get some guys with some size on the team as well.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Not sure what good it does trying to pin things on individual players, whether it be Stamkos, McD, Kuch, etc..... The entire team was a let down. Need a new voice behind the bench. It was obvious that the players had tuned cooper out. Need to get some guys with some size on the team as well.
Was thinking about this as well. I wonder who we could get. Maybe someone in the draft, but I feel like we are going to get a defenceman from the draft.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Matt Duchene prior to going head to head with Stamkos. 6gp - 0g - 6a - 6p -3. Against Stamkos 4gp - 3g - 4a - 7p +5. Stamkos 4gp - 1g - 1a - 2p -8. How the hell are you a -8 in 4 friggin games?

July 1st 2024 is going to be like Christmas for me.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
lmao are you guys actually trying to blame stamkos? along with cirelli killorn and point, he was one of our few forwards who actually gave a f*** in this series

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Stamkos didnt have a good series, but again none of our top guys did. I can point at them just as much as I point at Coop. This was a team effort. Or lack thereof.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Take the "C" off him like now..... there were times his play actually stood out favorably compared to the rest of the crap we saw on the ice but it was still crap. The whole team playing like a bunch of scolded dogs for 4 games is a reflection of piss poor leadership by not only himself but the coaching staff.

I'm done Steven. I like you but I'm done. It's time someone for someone else to be given command.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos didnt have a good series, but again none of our top guys did. I can point at them just as much as I point at Coop. This was a team effort. Or lack thereof.
True - a lot of people played like shit.

But here's the thing: Kucherov has shown up before. We know he has it, he just didn't have it this series (which is a problem, but it doesn't seem systemic). Point - kid is still really young, but he also is providing something when he's not scoring, so once again, I'll give him a bit of a pass.

I can count the number of good playoff games Stamkos has had on one hand in his entire career. With him, it's a personality trait. He's a f***ing choker through and through.

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
True - a lot of people played like ****.

But here's the thing: Kucherov has shown up before. We know he has it, he just didn't have it this series (which is a problem, but it doesn't seem systemic). Point - kid is still really young, but he also is providing something when he's not scoring, so once again, I'll give him a bit of a pass.

I can count the number of good playoff games Stamkos has had on one hand in his entire career. With him, it's a personality trait. He's a ****ing choker through and through.

Kucherov was the most dangerous forward last night, he was "quiet" but he creates a ton of space in the offensive zone, I'm noticing guys are backing off him more and more.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
True - a lot of people played like ****.

I can count the number of good playoff games Stamkos has had on one hand in his entire career. With him, it's a personality trait. He's a ****ing choker through and through.
I couldn't have said it better

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He needs to accept a permanent move to the wing and make it work. He’s a sniper not a 200 foot player.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
He needs to accept a permanent move to the wing and make it work. He’s a sniper not a 200 foot player.
I would like to see what he can do playing the left or right wing (I believe he played the left wing in our last playoff game), but I don't see Cooper doing that. He is going to want to put Stamkos at center, because it gives us depth with Point and Cirelli

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I would like to see what he can do playing the left or right wing (I believe he played the left wing in our last playoff game), but I don't see Cooper doing that. He is going to want to put Stamkos at center, because it gives us depth with Point and Cirelli
He can’t defend the position against another legit threat. See Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad