Player Discussion Steven Kampfer

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Time to bump this to give the man some props. What a pro and what a good thing for the Bruins to have this guy willing to sit on the taxi squad and wait for his chance and then come in to play his first game in over a year and hang in there. He played solid game today at MSG. I only saw one play where he made a potentially dangerous mistake. Otherwise, he did his job quietly and effectively. I don't want to see too much of him, because that means something bad for the Bruins has happened, but in this current injury crunch he's a safe pair of hands back there.
I agree. I cannot imagine how frustrating and difficult it must be. I remember that feeling as a young kid -- sizing up the "competition" every new season. And by competition I meant other kids on my team who could take my spot. Not very "team oriented" I know, but it's honest. I did it every year. And I HATED when I got pulled or subbed out. HATED with Capital Letters lit on fire after being doused with lighter fuel and matched.

It still conjurs up negative emotions obviously......:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

All joking aside, all of us who played sports wanted to be on the field/ice all the time. Anytime you're off, you're aching to be back on. I tip my hat to guys like Kampfer who can stay fit, motivated, and ready to step in on a moment's notice. Yes, the get paid well for that. But they are still competitors (and to be a pro, they must feel a passion that dwarfs most of ours) and it has to sting to not be on the A team.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I agree. I cannot imagine how frustrating and difficult it must be. I remember that feeling as a young kid -- sizing up the "competition" every new season. And by competition I meant other kids on my team who could take my spot. Not very "team oriented" I know, but it's honest. I did it every year. And I HATED when I got pulled or subbed out. HATED with Capital Letters lit on fire after being doused with lighter fuel and matched.

It still conjurs up negative emotions obviously......:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

All joking aside, all of us who played sports wanted to be on the field/ice all the time. Anytime you're off, you're aching to be back on. I tip my hat to guys like Kampfer who can stay fit, motivated, and ready to step in on a moment's notice. Yes, the get paid well for that. But they are still competitors (and to be a pro, they must feel a passion that dwarfs most of ours) and it has to sting to not be on the A team.

At this point it must be all business for him.

He knows where he stands and is probably content. If playing more was that important he could be playing in Europe.

Reactions: kjpm

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

He knows where he stands and is probably content. If playing more was that important he could be playing in Europe.

He's got a young family, so this is probably great for him. He makes a good paycheck playing hockey, even it if it just practicing with the team mostly, doesn't have to travel a ton, gets to spend a lot of time with his kids. Win-win situation, really.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm impressed every time I see Kampfer. Perhaps it's because my expectations are unduly low. In any event, he always looks very capable of playing at the NHL level. He's not tall, but he's a strong dude and has good judgment and decent hands.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Ladyfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm impressed every time I see Kampfer. Perhaps it's because my expectations are unduly low. In any event, he always looks very capable of playing at the NHL level. He's not tall, but he's a strong dude and has good judgment and decent hands.

Yeah there is a definitely a low bar, as there should be for a player in his position. None of us expect to him come in and be a game changer, just a player than gives you an honest effort shift by shift, does the fundamental things in a sound way and doesn't hurt the team.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

You know what, the more I think about it, the more I think you are on the money here.

I tend to think of it from the perspective of remembering what it was like to be a young kid chomping at the bit. Not an adult with responsibilities and, as you say, someone who at this stage in life knows what's what. $800K is a good payday and he knows he's not the next Victor Hedman.

Kudos to him though for keeping in shape and being prepared.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This dude really does not get enough credit

He seems like a really good teammate

I don't mind this guy. It's gotta be tough to come from the press box but he's pretty good. He doesn't play scared.

I always think of that crossbar he hits vs St Louis. I think it was early in Game 5.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’ve been actively trying to get him the puck to bomb on the PP, it’s actually quite something. Not many #9 D can say that lol

it’s not necessarily undeserved either- he’s got a good shot

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I am bumping this thread.

Last night's game was BAD but one of the bright spots was Steve K.

He has played quite a few games this season and isn't hurting the team

Reactions: Ritmo and Dr Hook

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He looks like an NHL regular this year. Better than Clifton in every aspect of the game. Not better than Miller though.
He’s been really rock solid, very responsible. He has looked like a NHL regular, just not for a contender. Same goes for Clifton.

I would definitely bring him back for a similar deal as a 8-10th defensemen. 2 years/800k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad