Player Discussion Steven Kampfer

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'm gonna assume that due to his 2 year commitment, nobody will claim kampfer.
the interesting move will be when/if miller gets back, since they'll be way too heavy
on bodies up front.

(mods feel free to edit the title if need be)

Reactions: Kovi

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Yeah, I like Kamp in his role too, but I don't know what else they could do. They could have played him and sat Clifton prior to Cliffy getting 60 games.- iIf Clifton is going to be a scratch in favor of Moore (who hasn't looked that good), better to have sent him down. They didn't though, and no way Cliffy clears waivers, so it is what it is.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Yeah, I like Kamp in his role too, but I don't know what else they could do. They could have played him and sat Clifton prior to Cliffy getting 60 games.- iIf Clifton is going to be a scratch in favor of Moore (who hasn't looked that good), better to have sent him down. They didn't though, and no way Cliffy clears waivers, so it is what it is.
Send Clifton down prior to hitting 60 was the move
However if Kampfer clears,they're still in good shape

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I like Kampfer, but it wouldn't really bother me if he gets claimed. Could be a blessing in disguise as Lauzon or Vaak could get increase playing time with the Bruins and force their hand, to actually make a deal from a position of strength.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think that second year helps the Bruins keep him.

I'm not sure the 2nd year matters much. His salary is so low that he doesn't affect the cap if he's in the minors. Now some budget team might balk at paying a guy 850k in the minors, but for a lot of teams it's not a big deal.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad and TCB

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
IMO Steve K has been a nice extra player to have. I have no complaints about his play. He seems to have a good attitude.

I did not like when he was dressed and sat on the bench the whole game. He did not deserve to be treated like that. It kind of pissed me off.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I hope he clears. Nothing wrong with having him as an insurance policy if (when?) multiple injuries occur on D as they tend to do every year. He has shown himself to be a capable bottom-pairing and 2nd PP D-man.

I think (?) if he clears waivers once then they can move him back and forth between Boston and Providence all year without having to clear waivers every time.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Glad he cleared
Might also make him more tradable... as a team can send him up and down as needed (for whatever the game/day limit is).

Not bad to have for depth in the minors, but plenty of the younger players can step in at this point.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think one of the factors that made it much more likely that he'd clear waivers was something we don't think about too often - family. It would take a pretty heartless GM to take a guy and oblige him to pack up and move his wife and very young baby to some other city, and then expect that player to be able to perform at this best with an unsettled wife and child at home.

If Kampfer were single or at least didn't have any kids, then I'd say the odds of him being picked up would have been higher. As it is, I'm glad he's staying.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think one of the factors that made it much more likely that he'd clear waivers was something we don't think about too often - family. It would take a pretty heartless GM to take a guy and oblige him to pack up and move his wife and very young baby to some other city, and then expect that player to be able to perform at this best with an unsettled wife and child at home.

If Kampfer were single or at least didn't have any kids, then I'd say the odds of him being picked up would have been higher. As it is, I'm glad he's staying.

It’s pro hockey and they are paid a disgusting amount relative to the rest of the planet. I don’t think heartlessness has much to do with it.

Reactions: Jim

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It’s pro hockey and they are paid a disgusting amount relative to the rest of the planet. I don’t think heartlessness has much to do with it.

Money makes little difference when you're a first-time mom learning the ropes and your husband is on record as stating that one of the reasons he re-signed with Boston was to allow a more settled family life, and then he comes along and says sorry, suddenly we have to up and move God-knows-where far away from all your friends and support network.

Maybe Tara Kampfer would be totally fine with that, but I know if it were my wife in that situation she'd be beyond furious and no amount of money would change that!

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Money makes little difference when you're a first-time mom learning the ropes and your husband is on record as stating that one of the reasons he re-signed with Boston was to allow a more settled family life, and then he comes along and says sorry, suddenly we have to up and move God-knows-where far away from all your friends and support network.

Maybe Tara Kampfer would be totally fine with that, but I know if it were my wife in that situation she'd be beyond furious and no amount of money would change that!

lots of people have to sacrifice being near home to put food on the table, regardless of whether they have newborns at home. Think about the military for example.

I think you would find that millions of dollars would in fact ease the pain of temporary separation.

Reactions: Strafer and Jim

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I think it has more to do with Kampfer in the AHL costing whatever other team half a million bucks on their end of year bottom line. And then 700k next year. These teams are businesses.

If a team wanted him in their lineup and he was projected to play 40+ games rest of the year he gets picked up. Depth/insurance they will probably stick with their prospects and not have them blocked. Maybe he gets picked up if he doesn’t have the extra year.

I’m sure Kampfer would rather play in Providence than another AHL city.

I’ve always liked him. We threw away a Cup inserting Chara and Gryz at 50% for him and Cliffy.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
i'm gonna assume that due to his 2 year commitment, nobody will claim kampfer.
the interesting move will be when/if miller gets back, since they'll be way too heavy
on bodies up front.

(mods feel free to edit the title if need be)
I think once Miller is back either he or Moore are traded, or they could finally put Backes on waivers, no team would claim him, if they did that would be awesome. If he goes to the AHL, it saves the B's about $1M for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad