Stevedude, please explain what idiocy...

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
As to ESPN and ESPN2, other than it not being available in all markets, what is with the "Even if it was on ESPN2" comments? Is there really any difference between the two? And what difference did having the NHL on The Duce matter compared to the flag channel? I really don't remember there being any different or better coverage on one compared to the other - if they moved a game or NHL2Nite over to The Duce, did it really make any difference in coverage or production? The play-by-play didn't change, if anything they allowed more time for NHL2Nite on one channel compared to airing it on the other.

I was in a hotel a week ago (on vacation) and OLN was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND! I can't get OLN here and places like Anaheim can't either. Say what you want about ESPN 2 but they are in more homes than Versus. ESPN is also a much better platform in terms of the casual viewer. ESPN would boost coverage, even if it isn't up to par with the other sports, but I'm sure it would be more than present time. They would probably allow the NHL to advertise there too; overall it is much better than being on Versus... a channel no one cares to find.

I understand why people trash ESPN, but I also understand why ESPN probably could care less. However, the NHL back on ESPN is much better for the league going forward regardless, unless Versus steps up with MLB/NFL/NBA which increasingly seems less and less possible because it seems even those leagues don't want nothing to do with the Channel.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
This is the final year of OLN's deal with the NHL right? I pretty much agree with the sentiment that the NHL needs ESPN much more than ESPN needs the NHL. OLN has started an HD channel (shared with the Golf network), and I don't know what the hell else they can show in HD besides hockey.

chiavsfan

That was the longest most boring ceremony in the HISTORY of hockey. I love Stevie Y, but that wasn't his retirement, it was the "lets honor everyone who ever laced up skates for the Red Wings" night. It was boring, it was almost an hour and a half, with a nice long commercial for GM in there. ESPN wouldn't have done shi- either, so stop telling me how great they are.

And for all of you whining that you don't get VS. Booo freaking hoooo. Get Center Ice then, like I do. Yeah, you don't get to see your team once or twice a year, but you get to see games every stinking night.

When ESPN gets hockey back, and they show it the same lack of respect, burying it behind 35-straight days of poker (I would rather see bull-riding, at least it takes athletic ability, and not some drunk lucky idiocy)...all of you will be back and bit-hing about it. So just STOP.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I was in a hotel a week ago (on vacation) and OLN was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND! I can't get OLN here and places like Anaheim can't either. Say what you want about ESPN 2 but they are in more homes than Versus. ESPN is also a much better platform in terms of the casual viewer. ESPN would boost coverage, even if it isn't up to par with the other sports, but I'm sure it would be more than present time. They would probably allow the NHL to advertise there too; overall it is much better than being on Versus... a channel no one cares to find.

I understand why people trash ESPN, but I also understand why ESPN probably could care less. However, the NHL back on ESPN is much better for the league going forward regardless, unless Versus steps up with MLB/NFL/NBA which increasingly seems less and less possible because it seems even those leagues don't want nothing to do with the Channel.

Based on your response to my original post, you missed my point. I wasn't talking about the OLN/VS at all. I know that the network isn't available in all markets nor on all cable/dish packages, and the network isn't carried in many, if any, major hotel chains. My point was ESPN vs. ESPN2 rather than ESPN vs. OLN/VS, people talking about "hockey being stuck on ESPN2 instead of ESPN" as if The Duce is any different than ESPN The Regular. The point in my original post was that having hockey deferred to The Duce or ESPN made no difference save for the extra time that could have been devoted to highlights and post-game studio time when on the alternate ESPN.

To talk a little about what you've brought up, the move to the OLN, at the time, was the right thing for the NHL. The OLN had devoted plenty of time to league coverage, something I am sure ESPN would not have done since they dropped NHL2Nite before the lockout, while steadily improving on their production. This year, as Versus, the production has remained stagnant while the quality and quantity of coverage has dropped. Off the top of my head I would say The OLN might not have gained as much as they hoped by having the NHL on their network, thus some of the commentators and announcers not returning and the reduction in time devoted to the league this season.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Chicago and St. Louis both went out and made a splash in the offseason... there was plenty of reason to think these teams wouldn't be 14th and 15th in the league. Things didn't work out in St. Louis but Chicago is a mere 3 pts out of the playoffs right now... I don't have any problem with these two teams being on national TV.
So the Hawks traded for an injury prone winger who only once in his career averaged a point-per-game. And the Blues got 36-year olds like Guerin and Rucinsky. Wow, what a splash.
As for this not growing the game, I can assure you that showing a hockey game, any hockey game would do more then a ceremony of a guy that is retired. Sure Detroit fans would have an interest but you can be assured that focusing on a retired player would do NOTHING to bring new people into the game.
Well, then, what players are promoted by this game? Smolinski? Guerin? Rucinsky? Weight, Tkachuk? Yzerman's retirement is an event, albeit a boring one, an event where we commemorate a great hockey player from the past. Being aware of legends is also helpful - but if not, Chicago and St. Louis did not deserve that time slot in the least.

There were other games out there, and all of this has to do with managing risk; yes, it is oftentimes a crapshoot predicting how teams fare once the season starts, but there's an unwarranted risk in picking two teams that - while sort of improving their teams in mid-season - shared the honors of being the absolutely worst the season before. And the general inflexibility of the schedule will always hurt. I think NBC is gonna be showing LA - St. Louis in a few weeks. Wonderful.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
So the Hawks traded for an injury prone winger who only once in his career averaged a point-per-game. And the Blues got 36-year olds like Guerin and Rucinsky. Wow, what a splash.

Well, then, what players are promoted by this game? Smolinski? Guerin? Rucinsky? Weight, Tkachuk? Yzerman's retirement is an event, albeit a boring one, an event where we commemorate a great hockey player from the past. Being aware of legends is also helpful - but if not, Chicago and St. Louis did not deserve that time slot in the least.

There were other games out there, and all of this has to do with managing risk; yes, it is oftentimes a crapshoot predicting how teams fare once the season starts, but there's an unwarranted risk in picking two teams that - while sort of improving their teams in mid-season - shared the honors of being the absolutely worst the season before. And the general inflexibility of the schedule will always hurt. I think NBC is gonna be showing LA - St. Louis in a few weeks. Wonderful.

St. Louis also went out and added Legace and McKee... every single player they added (I believe 7) made the playoffs last year, there was no reason to think they would be in last.

No one can possibly make a rational argument that a retirement ceremony would bring new fans to the game... possibily help out with fringe fans but certaintly not get new fans in.

And I have no problems with LA/St. Louis. For starters I assume it's a regional game, involving the 2nd largest market, a young star in Kopitar and a Blues team who people had every reason to think would be a fringe playoff team.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
St. Louis also went out and added Legace and McKee... every single player they added (I believe 7) made the playoffs last year, there was no reason to think they would be in last.

No one can possibly make a rational argument that a retirement ceremony would bring new fans to the game... possibily help out with fringe fans but certaintly not get new fans in.

And I have no problems with LA/St. Louis. For starters I assume it's a regional game, involving the 2nd largest market, a young star in Kopitar and a Blues team who people had every reason to think would be a fringe playoff team.

I know this might sound anecdotal, but NBA fans got a Miami-LA game for Christmas. It's just sad that what we get is Chicago-St. Louis and LA-St. Louis. And yes, it's regional, which is even worse, considering that we here in the west will be missing out on some better matchups from the east.

And prior to the season starting you can make a "reasonable" prediction about ANY team in the league that they're going to be "fringe" play-off teams. That's why there's a strong element of a crapshoot, and that's why risk-management and empirical evidence SHOULD prevail in these decisions.

Eh, whatever.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Bernier__Malkin Fan: If one of the functions of VS is to broadcast games and attrach more casual fans to the game most of these fans will identify with teams like the Blues and the Hawks and not know, or care, their position in the standings in the prior season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad