Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman to be introduced as new GM of Detroit | Pat Verbeek joins him as AGM

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
One player can make a huge difference in the playoffs. That one player can create a hot scoring line that can win a playoff series or two until the rest of the team steps up and contributes. Stone could have absolutely done that for us but Ottawa was never going to trade him to the bolts after what went down with EK last year. And simply trading for a 3/4 liner was not going to be the answer for this year.

Bolts have to figure out a way to add size to their top 2 lines next year. They need PFs who can dig the pucks out on the boards, keep possession and then go to front of the net for the greasy goals that this team is unable to score. Point and Gourde were fine doing this in regular season but come playoff team they were overwhelmed by the physicality of the opposing Blue Jacket players. If this team brings back the same group of midget forwards then the playoff results will look the same as this year!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I never understood why the entire team shied away so much from going hard to the net, park their butts in front of the opposing goalie and look for deflections or rebounds. All other teams do it and quite successfully.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I never understood why the entire team shied away so much from going hard to the net, park their butts in front of the opposing goalie and look for deflections or rebounds. All other teams do it and quite successfully.
The only person we had that didn't mind doing that on the regular was Cally and Cooper scratched him in the first 2 games... go figure....

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I feel that Yzerman has earned a free pass to do whatever he wants. Still, was very weird to see him at the draft for Detroit

Reactions: JoVel

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Actually, Yzerman's total travel WILL have cut down considerably since he's no longer constantly travelling everywhere for GM stuff AND travelling for family stuff in Detroit AND travelling back to the Lightning offices in Tampa. Now he's only doing the travelling for GM stuff then heading back home to Detroit.

Less travel overall. More time with family. Just as he said. :)

Reactions: NatoGhost

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I get that people are bitter about him leaving, but after all he did for this organization he can do whatever the hell he wants.

What did he do? He was hired to win the Cup which they never did. Sure the organization is in a better place because of the moves he made but the ultimate goal is winning and he didn't do that. It's the same with Stamkos, he will have all the records when he is done but if he never wins it all how can you call him the best player in franchise history? The best players win it all which Stamkos seems incapable of. I don't have a problem with Yzerman leaving but to say he can do whatever he wants because he drafted well is just dumb when he never won it all.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Anyone who thought Yzerman stepped down for any reason other than to become the DET GM is painfully dense.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Anyone who thought Yzerman stepped down for any reason other than to become the DET GM is painfully dense.
I don't really care what his reasons were for leaving. It's not like he owes us anything, he can leave if he feels like it and no one should feel like he "betrayed" us. He did his job here better than anyone could've hoped and left the organization in a good spot.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
The point is not that SY travelled to Germany.
The point is, imho, that it's not neither classy nor good work and scout the guys for another team while you got paid for you actual team.
It's not classy. In particular cause he'd a contract with us.
Vinik'd to fire him immediately, imho.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I get it was a dream of his to go run the Detroit redwings and I think that’s what it was about.
But it's ok that and I'm perfectly fine with that. I can understand that a Red Wings legend wants to return at home and wants to try to help the team of his life.
It's ok and I agree with him.
It's not ok the fact that he was working for them while he was still under contract with us. It's not classy.
He'd to step down from the senior advisor role, imho, and only then, start to work for Detroit.

Reactions: Todd1a

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The point is, imho, that it's not neither classy nor good work and scout the guys for another team while you got paid for you actual team.
To my understanding, scouting reports are team property, so you have to officially turn everything over when you leave (officially), although there's nothing against using what's in your head.

You have to assume JBB had pretty well known for a long time Yzerman was going to leave the team before this draft. Either TB got copies of the reports or TB didn't pay for the trip.

We're talking about a first-round prospect though, so it's not like every team didn't have reports on him.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
To my understanding, scouting reports are team property, so you have to officially turn everything over when you leave (officially), although there's nothing against using what's in your head.

You have to assume JBB had pretty well known for a long time Yzerman was going to leave the team before this draft. Either TB got copies of the reports or TB didn't pay for the trip.

We're talking about a first-round prospect though, so it's not like every team didn't have reports on him.
I think and hope it's the first thing youìve saod the true one.
Btw we're talking about a prospect and a pick TB has not interest in...so it's fine, no problem.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

All he did was scout Seider, that isn’t really devious

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nothing's devious.

Yzerman's wife lives in Detroit. For those of you who are married, go tell your wife you're gonna be home two nights per week for the next nine months. Now try that for 7 years. See how it works out.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I actually expected him to go back to Detroit much sooner than he did. Only thing that makes me sad about his time here is we didn't win a cup while he was here. If we win 1 in the next few seasons you can still give him credit for putting much of the team together but its just not the same. I feel like that is something that would forever irk me about this and I'm sure it would for him too.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
SY continues shopping in our org, hiring his brother Chris Yzerman who has been working for the Lightning until now:

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
SY continues shopping in our org, hiring his brother Chris Yzerman who has been working for the Lightning until now:

This is outrageous! This totally goes over the line! I am officially utterly and completely done with Stevie Y now!

Wait, Steve has a brother that worked for us????
Don't think I have ever heard that before.

If Merkosky was in Detroit for 2 cups he must be pretty old these days. lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->