Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman to be introduced as new GM of Detroit | Pat Verbeek joins him as AGM

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Keeping Murray is huge(long term). And for the record, I think we'll make the playoffs. But that's as far as I'll go prognosticating.

All you need to do is get in. The rest who knows what will happen. In 2 of the 3 ECF we went to, I was only expecting to make that far once. You just never know what will happen. I think we are a little better prepared next time, our chances go way up. We have a ton of experience and that is a reason this season was so disappointing, but hope its a learning lesson that will help them improve play in playoffs.

Last edited:

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
That would be an upgrade, to me.

Next year's playoff teams in EC? (Don't hate & I do hope I'm wrong)

Isles
Caps
Pens
Boston
Leafs
Panthers (Q + Bob + Panarin)
Habs
Canes
Devils (they have like $26M in cap space and are getting Hughes)

This was the year and JBB fubarred it up pretty well; signing Coop was a disaster in the making from long ago; the team follows the leaders lead and Coop is well, a dumpster fire.

How did BB screw it up? The only thing he could have done differently was acquire someone at the deadline. Who at the deadline was going to take us from sweep to Stanley cup? No one. The problem was coaching. You are shitting on the GM when it was clearly a coaching issue.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
How did BB screw it up? The only thing he could have done differently was acquire someone at the deadline. Who at the deadline was going to take us from sweep to Stanley cup? No one. The problem was coaching. You are ****ting on the GM when it was clearly a coaching issue.
I don't disagree that it was a coaching issue - one only need to look at my posts regarding Coopdapoop to see that.

My personal opinion of JBB aside, I do not think he has the collective relationship collateral in the league to do the deals that Yzerman did. Yzerman was able to do things because other GM's knew he wasn't out to screw them over... JBB does not have that going for him. JBB is a lawyer first and foremost - which is why the terms of the deals were good because THAT is JBB's strength - deal making is not.

When we lose the pieces that we have to in order to keep Point, I do not think JBB can get things done. Meanwhile, the Habs are pushing forward and have a coach that can/will win. The Canes have proven themselves; Pens have a GM and a coach along with a team that can push; the Caps are... well, Ovi/Orpik/Oshie/Backstrom/et al ... Isles have Trotz, Devils have $26M+ in cap space...

My opinion - free so take it FWIW - is that Bolts do not make the playoffs next year with this coach. The team follows their leader - Coop - and he can't/won't lead. He's good for the youngsters but the veterans have tuned him out.

Reactions: ultra63

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
How did BB screw it up? The only thing he could have done differently was acquire someone at the deadline. Who at the deadline was going to take us from sweep to Stanley cup? No one. The problem was coaching. You are ****ting on the GM when it was clearly a coaching issue.

I dont think he is absent of any blame. Anytime you get swept there is something different you could have done in hindsight. JBB knew the kind of struggles we have had in the playoffs before. Not going to say he should have seen this coming but you should still make sure every thing is thought of. He deserves a little bit of blame.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I dont think he is absent of any blame. Anytime you get swept there is something different you could have done in hindsight. JBB knew the kind of struggles we have had in the playoffs before. Not going to say he should have seen this coming but you should still make sure every thing is thought of. He deserves a little bit of blame.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. But from the start of the year to the playoffs, it’s not like we had a lot of issues. Now we know that there is a mental weakness somewhere in the cogs that needs to be addressed. Many people suggested cooper was a problem, but are you supposed to move on from him while streamrolling the entire league? We all thought there could have been small tweaks heading into the playoffs, but those obviously wouldn’t have fixed that disaster anyways.

His first season as GM and we steamroll the league for the regular season. I can’t blame him for not making big moves, I don’t think many people would have. Only thing I can shit on him for is extending cooper before the playoffs. If he doesn’t make any moves this offseason, then I will start throwing stones.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I don't disagree that it was a coaching issue - one only need to look at my posts regarding Coopdapoop to see that.

My personal opinion of JBB aside, I do not think he has the collective relationship collateral in the league to do the deals that Yzerman did. Yzerman was able to do things because other GM's knew he wasn't out to screw them over... JBB does not have that going for him. JBB is a lawyer first and foremost - which is why the terms of the deals were good because THAT is JBB's strength - deal making is not.

When we lose the pieces that we have to in order to keep Point, I do not think JBB can get things done. Meanwhile, the Habs are pushing forward and have a coach that can/will win. The Canes have proven themselves; Pens have a GM and a coach along with a team that can push; the Caps are... well, Ovi/Orpik/Oshie/Backstrom/et al ... Isles have Trotz, Devils have $26M+ in cap space...

My opinion - free so take it FWIW - is that Bolts do not make the playoffs next year with this coach. The team follows their leader - Coop - and he can't/won't lead. He's good for the youngsters but the veterans have tuned him out.

I get what your saying, but you can’t really judge him on those things yet. If a year goes by and he doesn’t get shit done, then it’s fair to say.

As of right now, i don’t blame him for not touching this roster during the season. First season as GM and we are setting modern records, why f*** with that? Now we know that we are a bunch of chickenshits and something has to change. The one thing that really sucked was that he extended cooper before the playoffs.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
As of right now, i don’t blame him for not touching this roster during the season. First season as GM
He still had Yzerman ... I don't blame him for doing nothing before trade - as it turned out, Simmonds plausibly would have gotten hurt no matter where he played; Duchene wasn't needed, same for Dzingle but Stone? lol Stone??? I'd have loved to get Stone (not that we stood a chance or were even looking his way)

That said, JBB does have input into who goes on the ice and for the life of me, I do not get benching Cally (unless he was hurt/hip acting up)

And Rutta? Oh, I get that too; both JBB and Cooper had it hard for Sustr and Rutta; both are 28, both are from Czech cities and played hockey together when little; when I see things like "knows what kind of chemistry he wants in his front office" all that goes through my mind is:

soft, calm, quiet, non-threatening

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
He still had Yzerman ... I don't blame him for doing nothing before trade - as it turned out, Simmonds plausibly would have gotten hurt no matter where he played; Duchene wasn't needed, same for Dzingle but Stone? lol Stone??? I'd have loved to get Stone (not that we stood a chance or were even looking his way)

That said, JBB does have input into who goes on the ice and for the life of me, I do not get benching Cally (unless he was hurt/hip acting up)

And Rutta? Oh, I get that too; both JBB and Cooper had it hard for Sustr and Rutta; both are 28, both are from Czech cities and played hockey together when little; when I see things like "knows what kind of chemistry he wants in his front office" all that goes through my mind is:

soft, calm, quiet, non-threatening

Obviously stone would have been an awesome get. But does he make a big enough difference for us not to get beat? I dont think so. Whole team was awful. Also, we couldn’t pay him so it never would of happened (as you stated).

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Jesus... talk about unforgiving. You have to give the man a chance at least before you decide he's a failure as a GM. Not many would have made changes to a team that was rolling along the way we were in the regular season. Chemistry is a real thing and it's not something a lot of people are quick to screw with.

The way were steamrolled in the 1st round was a surprise to EVERYONE. If you say you saw it coming, you're a liar. NO ONE would have thought we wouldn't have even won a single game.

JBB not making a move at the TDL is not the reason we lost. There's not a single move that he could have made that would've prevented what happened. If you have ideas on a move that could've prevented it, I am all ears and happy to hear it.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Jesus... talk about unforgiving. You have to give the man a chance at least before you decide he's a failure as a GM. Not many would have made changes to a team that was rolling along the way we were in the regular season. Chemistry is a real thing and it's not something a lot of people are quick to screw with.

The way were steamrolled in the 1st round was a surprise to EVERYONE. If you say you saw it coming, you're a liar. NO ONE would have thought we wouldn't have even won a single game.

JBB not making a move at the TDL is not the reason we lost. There's not a single move that he could have made that would've prevented what happened. If you have ideas on a move that could've prevented it, I am all ears and happy to hear it.
There is no convincing these types, just let them be. :)

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. But from the start of the year to the playoffs, it’s not like we had a lot of issues. Now we know that there is a mental weakness somewhere in the cogs that needs to be addressed. Many people suggested cooper was a problem, but are you supposed to move on from him while streamrolling the entire league? We all thought there could have been small tweaks heading into the playoffs, but those obviously wouldn’t have fixed that disaster anyways.

His first season as GM and we steamroll the league for the regular season. I can’t blame him for not making big moves, I don’t think many people would have. Only thing I can **** on him for is extending cooper before the playoffs. If he doesn’t make any moves this offseason, then I will start throwing stones.

I mean I agree to some extent. However we were pretty banged up on D going into the playoffs. I cant remember now but wasnt Stralman out at the deadline? Even though our D played ok even when injuries happened, it would have been nice to get a bit more depth there but yea hindsight is 20/20.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sounds like Yzerman tried to take a lot of his guys with him. The one guy who couldn't really be promoted, to safeguard him, was Verbeek. I'm kind of surprised nobody's sniped Verbeek up as a GM yet though.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Sounds like Yzerman tried to take a lot of his guys with him. The one guy who couldn't really be promoted, to safeguard him, was Verbeek. I'm kind of surprised nobody's sniped Verbeek up as a GM yet though.
I think verbeek his contract expired is why he was free to go

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I’m sure he tried to get Murray and roest for sure

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I’m sure he tried to get Murray and roest for sure
I heard nothing about Yzerman wanting to take anyone, other than Verbeek (once he was out of the running for Edmonton. (That also may have been why Holland kept so quiet. If Verbeek got the job, great, he can get a GM job anywhere, likely Seattle, but if Edmonton weren't going to offer it to Verbeek, he'd take it.)). Given that Verbeek's family also lives in Detroit IIRC, it only makes sense. Murray leaving was all speculation due to the Yzpocalypse.

Roest is filling the position that JBB held for years as GM of the AHL team. His promotion was most directly due to JBB moving up, at least as it appears.

Something to keep in mind is that the Red Wings staff already has a few former teammates of SY. He'd maybe have to fire long-time friends to accommodate TB guys. Avoiding those kinds of situations were partly what led him to TB in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ817

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I heard nothing about Yzerman wanting to take anyone, other than Verbeek (once he was out of the running for Edmonton. (That also may have been why Holland kept so quiet. If Verbeek got the job, great, he can get a GM job anywhere, likely Seattle, but if Edmonton weren't going to offer it to Verbeek, he'd take it.)). Given that Verbeek's family also lives in Detroit IIRC, it only makes sense. Murray leaving was all speculation due to the Yzpocalypse.

Roest is filling the position that JBB held for years as GM of the AHL team. His promotion was most directly due to JBB moving up, at least as it appears.

Something to keep in mind is that the Red Wings staff already has a few former teammates of SY. He'd maybe have to fire long-time friends to accommodate TB guys. Avoiding those kinds of situations were partly what led him to TB in the first place.
But it will be interesting with holland going to the oilers if he takes some people from Detroit?

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Obviously stone would have been an awesome get. But does he make a big enough difference for us not to get beat? I dont think so. Whole team was awful. Also, we couldn’t pay him so it never would of happened (as you stated).
I kind of wonder if a spark plug like Stone would have helped in the scoring department. We never put enough pressure in their end, not once. Kuch when ghost and suspension mode, Stammer ghosted us, Cally was benched, Pally was doing yard art or something ...

That we went what - 180 mins? - without scoring? 20/20 hindsight - and we never had a chance for Stone

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
But it will be interesting with holland going to the oilers if he takes some people from Detroit?
I think Yzerman is better respected than Holland. Holland is the reason Yzerman left in the first place - Holland's ego > respect... (my opinion)... If you have a choice to stay with a guy who built you a dumpster fire OR stay in place with the guy who's banner hangs in many areas, and who built a rock-star worthy team on a beach, who would you rather work for?

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

I agree with this. Frankly, that's the only real thing that BriseBois didn't get a chance to work on while Yzerman was still an advisor - trade deadline operations - but that wasn't his fault. We're applying total hindsight if we start talking as if the team having an unbelievable regular season that had made deep playoff runs their previous three trips was "in need" of a notable trade deadline pickup. We needed one last year; our blueline as it was simply wasn't going to cut it if we wanted to go deep them. This year? Not the case. That'll be something to watch for BriseBois moving forward since he'll be on his own with that.

Otherwise, frankly there was little he could've done to help or hurt this with his actions this year, other than obvious and unrealistic nonsense occurring. What happened against Columbus wasn't a reflection on the front office at all. What they do in response to it, however, will be.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->