Confirmed with Link: Steve Tambellini fired

jasonbaz77*

Bruins rebuilt with zero number 1 draft picks. It's amazing that the Oilers have had about 100 of them- the most talented offensive team in the league and still suck.

The Penguin formula didn't work for them...mostly due to timing. The Pens were able to suck at just the right time- twice. Two times acquiring the top two offensive players in the league by intentionally tanking. You would think all teams would follow this formula.

The Bruins organization has too much pride. It hurt us for a long time. :naughty:

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Bruins rebuilt with zero number 1 draft picks. It's amazing that the Oilers have had about 100 of them- the most talented offensive team in the league and still suck.

The Penguin formula didn't work for them...mostly due to timing. The Pens were able to suck at just the right time- twice. Two times acquiring the top two offensive players in the league by intentionally tanking. You would think all teams would follow this formula.

The Bruins organization has too much pride. It hurt us for a long time. :naughty:

The problem is that the Oilers only picked number 1 and that's it. They didn't go out and make good trades or good signings. Just draft #1 overall and hope it works out.

jasonbaz77*

The problem is that the Oilers only picked number 1 and that's it. They didn't go out and make good trades or good signings. Just draft #1 overall and hope it works out.

Agreed. They ignored some serious issues there. I still see them being a dominant team in the future. Once they get someone in charge who knows what they are doing they will advance pretty quickly.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

But the Bruins had the cash to bring in free agents like Chara and Savard.

jasonbaz77*

But the Bruins had the cash to bring in free agents like Chara and Savard.

True, but that's part of Gm'ing a team, I think. All teams have the same salary cap now so money is not a legitimate issue. Any teams NOT spending to the cap are basically screwing their fans out in the open, and the fans should not support the teams (IMO).

Free agents are more of a risk than draft picks- but it's all part of the big picture of creating a winning team. I can't think of any Cup winning teams that brought in no free agents at all, while teams that relied too heavily on it (ie Rangers) usually failed. :D

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

It wasn`t tanking that got them Crosby, it was winning a lottery pick,no way to predict that ,unless of course.......

BudMovin*

It wasn`t tanking that got them Crosby, it was winning a lottery pick,no way to predict that ,unless of course.......

They drafted 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd in a 4 year span. Crosby was lucky, but they were in full tank mode during that stretch.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
It amazes me how a team that has so many highly drafted players from the past few years can make no progress at all towards getting better

Wrong kind of veterans for the talented young players and not sure they have a solid defensive corps.

Also a group of highly talented players does not necessarily equate with creating a team. If I were the gm I would trade some picks and or talent for a solid, experienced defenseman or two.

Not surprised here at all.

RG617

Jul 14, 2008
Boston, MA.
This in a nutshell is why I LOATHE this place sometimes. ****ing ridiculous.

What, that people are open to trading Lucic? Have you watched him play this season; watched as his forechecking dropped to somewhere in the average range over the last couple of years and he's too often the last guy back down his own end of the ice? The word "uninspired" comes to mind way too frequently when talking about a guy who made his bones crushing defensemen when they went behind their own net to get the puck, thereby creating offensive opportunities. If he went back to doing that the goals would come and all would be well again. We'd all go back to laughing at trade offers. Instead, he's quickly becoming movable under the right circumstances. Edmonton has the pieces to make one hell of a sweetheart deal, and only a fool would dismiss it out of hand.

GodTukka*

Kevin Lowe is still in the organization = this move does nothing

And i wouldn't be opposed to trading Lucic as long as it's a good package.....but i'd also wouldn't be opposed to give him another year to prove he's worth that fat contract.

If he continues this play into next year with a full offseason of conditioning and that, then look at buying him out or trading him

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Way overdue, like the Flyers decades of denial that goaltending should be addressed properly, Tambo had opportunities to draft a high end D-man but kept going for the forwards, with no coach to develop them properly. I`m sure Oiler fans were wondering what took so long but..........Kevin Lowe gets the free pass??? Um, why?

GodTukka*

Holy crap i just caught a clip of Lowe's press conference....could the guy be anymore ignorant?

Couple interesting tidbits

-Tries to take credit for getting the Oilers "within a period" of a 6th Stanley Cup (Mac-T gets the credit for that with his coaching)

Says -"We blew it up, we're in year 3 of that plan, are you trying to tell me you're impatient after 3 years?' (Considering you had 3 straight 1st overall picks and haven't even shown a lick of improvement? i'd be annoyed too) for example, Pittsburgh turned it around after 3 first overall picks, Chicago got back in the picture after 2 high picks.

- Claims because he and MacTavish both have multiple stanley cup rings, they know what it takes to win (Despite not admitting both of them rode the coattails of one of the greatest players in history to get those rings) and that whole "i have rings therefore i am a perfect candidate to run a team" doesn't fly, for reference please see Michael Jordan's Charlotte Bobcats.

I kinda wish Burke would have fought Lowe like he wanted to, would pay to see that after this debacle

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Way overdue, like the Flyers decades of denial that goaltending should be addressed properly, Tambo had opportunities to draft a high end D-man but kept going for the forwards, with no coach to develop them properly. I`m sure Oiler fans were wondering what took so long but..........Kevin Lowe gets the free pass??? Um, why?

"Cause he won all those Cups with Gretzky. At least that is the only reason I can come up with......

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't think that is what happened. MacT said they need a "Lucic like player" and K Lowe didn't add to the comment.

This being said, I hope the Bruins and Oilers make a trade this summer centring Lucic.

I'm sure 28 other teams are with you...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4