Steve Smith

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by oilexport, Oct 9, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. oilexport

oilexport Registered User

I'm led to believe Smith looks after our Defence. I believe he's horrible.

-Nick Schultz, I thought this guy was a tenacious SOB in our zone when he came over to the Oilers. Nick is nowwhere near what he was now.

-Smid has been a bit of a disapointment too

- Justin Schultz is not very good in his own zone

- Petry is not getting better

So those are the returning D, if ya think about how all the other D that have come to Edmonton and sucked or underachieved it leads me to wonder how this guy keeps his job.

Dallas said in the summer that the players respect Steve and that's why he is still here.

I don't respect Steve every since "that goal" and also going to work for Calgary (coaching) after "that goal".

2. Moonlapse Vertigo

Moonlapse Vertigo Katz n' MacT BFFs

I agree.

Charlie Huddy did a great job when he was coaching the defense here. His firing was... idiotic. He was the only one who deserved to retain his job during that firing spree.

3. Paralyzer008

Paralyzer008 Registered User

I'll disagree on Smid and Petry. Smid has been our best defensive D-man and Petry HAS improved almost every year.

Where Smith has failed, in my opinion, is teaching Justin Schultz how to defend and Nick Schultz how to use the body more effectively. Those two have just not been good enough. Also, Ference hasn't adapted greatly to the "stabilizer to Schultz" role he's been assigned, and the forwards aren't helping out enough, if at all.

It's a big mess.

4. Hockey Nightmare

Hockey Nightmare Registered User

Why does that really matter so much? Are there a lot of players out there who don't respect their coaches? I think winning leads to respect, and that's the only thing that truly matters. Our D was abysmal last year as well.

5. Hockey Buddha

Hockey Buddha Darnell Nurse

I agree, Paralyzer008. The defensive and neutral zone play of the forwards is costing us big time. They've been a team playing without confidence. Hopefully the come back against NJ helps to turn things around.

6. oilexport

oilexport Registered User

hmmm...guess I'm speaking in general terms about nobody getting better. Smid has been one of our better D but that does not say much.

I'll give ya the one on Petry, he has gotten better but it's a snails pace...

Nick Schultz was a damn fine Dman when he got here, the way he would chase down puck carriers and position himself was beyond anything our D did.

The dozens of D that have shuffled through Edmonton and failed ?

7. Lay Z Boy GM

Lay Z Boy GM Registered User

This wouldn't be a problem is Eakins just hired his own staff.

Are we the only team out there that keeps the same assistants for every coach?

8. Evil Ernie

Evil Ernie Registered User

9. Master Lok

Master Lok Registered User

Home Page:
    Yet another Oiler "FAN" whining and looking to complain about something he has no idea about. what a surprise.

10. harpoon

harpoon He's no Griffin Reinhart

No he wasn't. I'm no fan of Smith, but using Schultz's pitiful performance against him is a bit unfair imo.
    Schultz has been junk from day one.

11. Captain Catatomic

Captain Catatomic SuprstitionCondition

Toilet Bowl Cleaner
    Let's see what he can do in a new system.. if not then maybe we can get something back @ TD

12. KirkW

KirkW Registered User

It was one play and while it carried horrible consequences, I'd say he's payed the price. He took responsibility for his actions, never shied away, and had to carry that shame and the pressure from the fans, his teammates, the hockey media, etc. ever since. Despite that, he proved to be a true professional and a winner.

You know who Wayne passed the cup to first in 87? Before Mess, before Kurri, or Fuhr? That's right.. Smith. If the best player the game has ever seen can forgive, then I think we as fans can too.

Note: I'm not defending Smith's role as a coach (I'm not even sure exactly what his role is on the club and will let the people actually in charge do that), but I just feel that bringing up this incident from 25 years ago is a cheap-shot with no real bearing on the here and now.

13. CorpseFX

CorpseFX Registered User

Petry is sketchy because he has a low hockey IQ. the "chase behind the net" last year was a relapse to mighty mites that shouldnt happen to a pro player. he's improving but something is always very sketchy about his decisions and general play. Steve Smith has nothing to do with how Petry absorbs/applies input unless he hooked up a Nintendo Controller to his butt.

Smid: he'll be fine.

N. Schultz: wasnt ever that great to begin with. getting older he's just become more of a minus beast.

J. Schultz: he is a twirp. he's on the ice for offense and crossing your fingers he can get the puck out of the zone. the Capitals put up with the same thing with Mike Green if you ever watched their games, especially in the playoffs. that dude would get ROASTED down low and they couldnt get the puck out of the zone for long periods of time.

14. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

N.Schultz a tenacious SOB? He was a steady defensive d-man that did quite well for us pre-lockout.

Smid? What did you expect out of him?

Petry, needs to be a bit more physical otherwise he is kinda what they told us he'd be 5 years ago.

J.Schultz you are crapping on him already?

The fact is we don't have a #1 d-man and without that our d is going to continue to struggle. I don't even know if we have a #2 d-man at this point.

15. frag2

frag2 Registered User

Smid has been soft IMO. Probably the most disappointing D we have

16. KlimasLoveChild

KlimasLoveChild Registered User

This thread is laughable. To hold a grudge against a guy for what happened 27 years ago is idiotic. So he played for the Flames, I guess the own goal was all planned out before hand. Hell he is a double agent for the flames as I'm typing this:facepalm: He paid his dues for that. He was a big part of 3 championships after that so get over it.

As for his coaching what exactly is expected. They have a team of 3-4 dmen. Is he expected to conjure them into top 2 guys? This is stupid. As much as some want to think Smid and Petry are top 2 guys you can't polish a turd. It isn't going to happen. A number of these guys have been in over their heads for a while now. You can't blame that on the coaching.

17. MikeModano9

MikeModano9 Registered User

This. I was hoping he would take a big step forward this year but so far it looked like he has regressed. Also quite odd he didn't even get one of the like 40 "A's" we gave out.

18. Gone

Gone Fire KLowe

Sadly at the time Huddy left the organization they needed a fall guy, and he was it.

I think both Bucki and Smith should go, but I also believe KLowe should be gone and the scouting staff revamped. The real changes this organization needs will never be made.

19. BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce Esquire

I liked huddy

20. Beerfish

Beerfish Registered User

I hope to god he has improved at changing the defense on the fly. After about the 3rd two on nothing breakaway last year I was about fed up.

21. CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev call on me

don't worry folks, this guy is here to set us straight!

that what message boards are for...to vent/complain/whine

which is, ironically, exactly what you're doing

22. thinlizzy

thinlizzy Registered User

Me to. Bring him back. Quick.:shakehead

23. Master Lok

Master Lok Registered User

Home Page:
    Its too early to fire Eakins, three games in.

Its too early to fire MacT.

so why not look at other scapegoats THREE GAMES IN.... fire Steve Smith? That's what this thread is. Its ridiculous and idiotic. And too many posters and posts on this board have gone in that direction.

24. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

The other thing is Smith can only do so much as well. Not his fault that all these head coaches keep changing the way our players should play. Tough to develop guys when the message changes every year.

25. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

Was Huddy fired or did he leave on his own after Mactavish "left"?