Confirmed with Link: Steve Smith resigns

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
This seems abrupt. I actually felt a little better about Rod being the HC with Smith staying on board, but who knows. Maybe Smith didn't like the direction of the new system. Still though, it doesn't seem like ACs resign that often? Maybe they do, but that's not a position I would think has the turn over rate that HC does.

Wouldn't be surprised if he reemerges up north, well up north.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it has to be tough to be in a situation where you feel like you were overlooked for a promotion and have your new boss be a younger guy who was arguably less effective in his role. we often complained about the units brind'amour was responsible for and lauded those that smith oversaw. it's interesting because the concept that brind'amour really sidled up to dundon seemed pretty obvious. to deny that gave him an edge in the selection process for the new head coach would be naive. that relationship dynamic seemed to have reverberations through the offseason.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I came here fully expecting to read that he was headed to Calgary to join up with BP. That would have ticked me off for some reason. Was he in mid contract? Can he just break his contract and go somewhere else? As long as it's not Cal.
Calgary is all set with bench coaches. I suspect SS is going to be a HC somewhere overseas.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Or in the NCAA, I believe there are a few openings at that level currently and there is a lot more job stability there then in the NHL.

I think if he had an NCAA job lined up it would be in the announcement. That seems more like a "cake" deal because it shows the organization's talent is desired elsewhere yet not in direct competition. Unless more is announced today, this seems like a difficult parting more than a better opportunity parting.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think if he had an NCAA job lined up it would be in the announcement. That seems more like a "cake" deal because it shows the organization's talent is desired elsewhere yet not in direct competition. Unless more is announced today, this seems like a difficult parting more than a better opportunity parting.
Yeah I won't disagree with that. There's a possibility that he had been contacted about more then 1 position and was weighing his options (including coming back), came back with a request in terms of number or term that Dundon and co weren't even going to come close to and he just up and resigned on the spot even if he hadn't yet committed to either possible landing spot.

Either way, something clearly went sour, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in some way related to a contract extension regardless of what it is.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yeah I won't disagree with that. There's a possibility that he had been contacted about more then 1 position and was weighing his options (including coming back), came back with a request in terms of number or term that Dundon and co weren't even going to come close to and he just up and resigned on the spot even if he hadn't yet committed to either possible landing spot.

Either way, something clearly went sour, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in some way related to a contract extension regardless of what it is.
I think the ultra-casual Dundon was a bit threatened by SS's sartorial splendor on game days.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Ty Conklin better be glad he's the goaltender coach in St Louis rather then here in that case.

HCRB: Hey Ty, this is Rod Brind’amour, how’d you like to come down to North Carolina and be our goalie coach (snickers under his breath)

Conklin: Whoever this is, go f*** yourself. And if this is actually Rod Brind’amour, f*** yourself twice.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't seem to have a problem with this. I don't know that he did a particularly good job. It's easy to point to Slavin/Pesce/Fleury as successes but they came in through the system and were basically NHL ready with no coaching up needed. Compare them to Hanifin....
I think Smith's best work was on the PK, even if it fell off last season. The two seasons prior to that we finished something like 6th on the PK.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
On the downside Smith left for a better opportunity which shows a lack of faith in this group (players, management, owner)
On the upside Smith left for an immediate opportunity. Money, term, etc. at least it wasn’t a point issue followed by a “screw you guys, I’m going home”.

Really could have just been similar to Peters. Smith had 1 year left and wanted more security. Maybe Buffalo offered multi-year with more $$.

Whatever the case it appears that Buffalo poached him at a later stage in the game. Definitely seems like the Canes are scrambling a bit with the news.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On the downside Smith left for a better opportunity which shows a lack of faith in this group (players, management, owner)
On the upside Smith left for an immediate opportunity. Money, term, etc. at least it wasn’t a point issue followed by a “screw you guys, I’m going home”.

Really could have just been similar to Peters. Smith had 1 year left and wanted more security. Maybe Buffalo offered multi-year with more $$.

Whatever the case it appears that Buffalo poached him at a later stage in the game. Definitely seems like the Canes are scrambling a bit with the news.

Why is it a "better opportunity"? He left for a different opportunity, not sure it's "better".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad